40 s/w

This is a discussion on 40 s/w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son and I both shoot 40 s/w. I have a sig 229 he has a CZ 75p Both great guns. I bought 100 rounds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 s/w

40 s/w

My son and I both shoot 40 s/w. I have a sig 229 he has a CZ 75p

Both great guns. I bought 100 rounds of Winchester white box range ammo, from a good local gun dealer. 3 jams at the range. with the 100 rounds. I switched to Fiocchi, reccomended by anothe guy there. No jams, for me or my son, also used american eagle (Federal) both 180 grain. Once again no jams. I was told stay away from whinchester white box.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I also noticed American eagle just jumped $2.00 a box for 50 rounds.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've always loved WWB. I have never had a jam with either the 5.56mm or the .40S&W. My 229 has never had a jam period though, with WWB or factory reloads. A few boxes of WWB ago though, one round had not been pressed right. It wasn't aligned and had pushed the side of the bullet over the outside of the casing, exposing lead, deforming the bullet, and deforming the casing. It's one in thousands I've shot, so I kind of ignored it and threw the round away.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I was told that it might be possible that the spring was to tight being new.
    But my sons CZ also jammed. We havent had a jam since. 500 rds
    threw each easily.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    My sig ran smooth as butter from day 1. What kind of jams were you getting?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I use WWB mainly for my 9mm shooting. My somewhat frugal purchases in the 40 S&W and 45acp department for plinking purposes usually end up being the UMC 250 round bulk packs in 40cal or 45acp and 45acp in the Independence brand or Speer Lawman brands. Can't say I've ever tried the WWB in 40S&W, and I've never bought the CCI Blazer ammo for anything.

C9 my jams are after the cartridge fires the case doesnt eject all the way. Like a weak load. I now (with other brands mentioned) have shells flying out the side. My state boy buddy and sherriff buddy both told me to make sure I was holding the gun straight. I was. The shells where just falling out the side. (weak)

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    C9 my jams are after the cartridge fires the case doesnt eject all the way. Like a weak load. I now (with other brands mentioned) have shells flying out the side. My state boy buddy and sherriff buddy both told me to make sure I was holding the gun straight. I was. The shells where just falling out the side. (weak)
    You know.......I figure there are a number of reasons why the bulk buys on ammo are a better deal than the going rate for the pretty boxes of 50 rounds. #1, the manufacturer saves on packaging (less cardboard and fewer boxes and plastic holders, #2, quality control and inspection (maybe every 50th round instead of every 10th?). Not to say that bulk ammo could be sold to the public if dangerously out of SAAMI specs, but the same painstaking measures to insure utmost quality just wouldn't be feasible in the bulk/bargain department. Indeed, there may be some weak loadings in your caliber, or they might have just substituted something in a shortage, and it might only be a run of 10,000 or so, you never know. My suggestion for you, in order to run your plinking ammo, and to come out good on your ammo savings would be to get a reduced power recoil spring for your SIG P229. Say go for something 2lb less than factory, and see what that does. I bought an 18lb spring for my P220, but I haven't had any issues with any ammo and the factory 20lb spring. For me it's a JIC item (just in case). I believe your factory spring is 16lb. I think that Wolff makes a 14lb for the P229. Just a suggestion. But don't forget to switch it back for your full power carry ammo.

Good info I didnt know you could get lighter springs. But my sons CZ also did this, it is probably caused by weak charge ammo. I did not buy bulk, however I am considering it. If only 1 ammo is doing this it would be easier just to stay away from that ammo. Of cousre spring change is easy , and I clean it after every range time.

Is it possible the spring just needed to be used to break it in?

Good info I didnt know you could get lighter springs. But my sons CZ also did this, it is probably caused by weak charge ammo. I did not buy bulk, however I am considering it. If only 1 ammo is doing this it would be easier just to stay away from that ammo. Of course spring change is easy , and I clean it after every range time.

Is it possible the spring just needed to be used to break it in?
    Sorry for the assumption on the "bulk ammo". I actually consider WWB as 'bulk ammo'---anything over a 50 round box with plastic holder. I buy the WWB 9mm in the 100rd boxes...they just dump them all in there free like. On the spring--no, I don't think there is a "break-in" for recoil springs per se, but they will surely get weaker over time and amount of firings to the point of needing replacement. I think you're on the right track in trying some different ammo though. I did not gather from the O.P. that this problem was experienced in both pistols...again, I assumed. You know....I've had a guy tell me that WWB ammo destroys pistols...blows them up (yes, even non-Glock pistols!) and that the ammo may be out of spec. I take everything I hear with a grain of salt...still shoot WWB in my Glock 9mms, and still shoot my Glock 40 calibers as well without problems. Nothing is perfect, and I think we've all had jams, miss-feeds, issues, and malfunctions of some sort whether they be equipment, supply, or user induced. It's the nature of the beast when you shoot a lot. Best we can do is change one thing at a time and attempt to solve the issues. Ammo is an investment of sorts these days, and I'd find a way to use what ammo you already have even if it's not fully 100% dependable for practice. Look at it this way.....practice your malfunction clearing abilities!

Yup I know what your saying ramrod I used up all the wwb and use american eagle and fiocchi now. No problems. I love my sig. My son had the same problems with his CZ and another saw what was happening at the range and he immediatly stepped over he had the same problem. (Cartriged not totally ejecting.) I took his reccomendations. Ran up stairs and bought what he uses and gun felt better cartridges ejected with force.

wpk
    I had the same problems with WWB .45 acp. Had a thread about it somewhere...I dunno. Reading these other concerns I think I'm pretty much done with the brand.

VIP Member
    mustang:
    I have had good results with WWB .40S&W.
    That does not mean your guns do not like them.

i mainly use wwb and blazer aluminum for practice,no jams ever,the only bullet i had that failed to feed once was a monarch 223 but it was the fault of the mag.
    i only have one 40cal an XD, no jams in any ammo ive ever used in it including wwb although im starting to use blazer aluminum more than any practice round now for my pistols.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Yup I know what your saying ramrod I used up all the wwb and use american eagle and fiocchi now. No problems. I love my sig. My son had the same problems with his CZ and another saw what was happening at the range and he immediatly stepped over he had the same problem. (Cartriged not totally ejecting.) I took his reccomendations. Ran up stairs and bought what he uses and gun felt better cartridges ejected with force.
    At least now you know. No more wasting money....that's what it's all about. For what it's worth, the SIG pistols seem to have heavier recoil springs from the factory than other comparable makes and models in the same calibers. While keeping frame battering to a minimum, they may not like everything on the buffet.

Thats why I love my S&W Sigma. All the crude people talk about them. Never had a single issue with it feeding or extracting and I have put every kind of ammo From Golden Sabers to range only ammo(crappy reload) with out a hitch. I had a glock and when it would get fussy with ammo I would just put it in my Sigma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links