BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!! - Page 2

BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!!

This is a discussion on BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't see how deep the indentions were I put the bad ammo in the dispose bucket at the range, now this gun has had ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!!

I didn't see how deep the indentions were I put the bad ammo in the dispose bucket at the range, now this gun has had thousands of rounds through it, on a average of a 100 rounds a month. never a misfire. a couple of stovepipes from letting other people shoot it with a bad grip. I have shot some of this ammo a while back and it shot fine. the ammo has not been exposed to anything abnormal. I have 22 rounds 15 years old from my dad that i shot with no bad ammo. 8 years isn't a long time. I carry my revolver now. it is a pt945 taurus. big and bulky but pretty good.
    So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Last line of "Rifle Creed" by Major General William H. Rupertus (USMC, Ret.)

If you have shot some of this ammo previously and it was okay and you haven't exposed it to anything harsh, then it sounds like a problem with the gun, not the ammo.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Check your hammer/trigger springs, have you ever replaced them?

Take the "bad" ammo and try it in another gun.

the ammo is gone, once it let me down that many times I tossed the bullets. The gun is fine it has had 200 rounds put through it since. The possibility is something did happen to the ammo and it just took a while to be effected. I don't know. I do know I will always test random bullets from the carry ammo just to be safe. I have honestly shot probably nearly a million rounds in my life and except with a couple of .22 rounds have never seen bad bullets. it may have been a fluke thing.

VIP Member
    Was there any green on the cases? Do you put the defense ammo back in right after cleaning without swabbing it all dry? Do you leave oil in the barrel? Do you occasionaly spray your gun down with wd-40? I would bet money that the ammo was contaminated with some sort of "cleaning and penetrating" solvent or oil. It happens. Let this be a lesson to you (one you learned the easy way :) ). Change your personal protection ammo out every year. Then shoot the old stuff for practice.

Federal ammo is top shelf in my book. I've shot thousands of rounds of the stuff and never had problems.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

some posted a thing on here about looking up your taurus age, the gun is almost ten years. I will change out the springs just cause of the thousands of shots through it. i don't soak my guns and no they weren't tarnished, however if light oil penetrates a bullet, that makes bad ammo. it all leads to ammo though. Why it was bad I do not know. it was NEVER exposed to harsh conditions. I take better care of my guns and ammo than my wife.... I have federal Ammo for my 357 and my backup .380.

How many rounds of ammo have you fired since the "bad" ammo?

Having used ammo close to 40 years old without such problems, I continue to suspect the gun.

Best,
    Jerry

Oil & solvents can get in through ANY primer, not just Federal. Even the laquer-sealed pockets in some surplus ammo isn't oil & solvent-proof.

What I don't understand is the concept of carrying the same rounds in the gun for years. If you can afford to shoot "thousands" of rounds through it, you can surely afford a new box of carry ammo every couple of months.

Also--didn't you function test the ammo when you first got it?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

200 rounds since the federal ammo, I don't practice with carry ammo, way to expensive. my carry ammo is 30-40 for 20, while practice for the 45 is 20 for 50 rounds. yes I shot some of the federal a few years back, but I also shot the gun a millions times after. this gun has had at least 10000+ rounds through it. with never a misfire. It is possible it could have been a little of both fault. I will shoot the next one hundred from it this weekend. I plan on replacing the springs and fire pin just because it probably is time. But that gun has been very faithful!!!!

I carry Federal 230+P HST and I only paid like 22.95 for 50 + S&H,and I bought several boxes of ammo so cost was split up where It ended up being about 50 cents a round,I reload for about 5 cents a round In all my handgun calibers, but I still shoot a mag or two of carry ammo a month which means I shoot about a box every 6 months.I would suggest if your carry ammo is too expensive to shoot a few rounds every week or two you need to buy cheaper carry ammo,If you would of needed that stuff in a SD situation you could of ended up dead,The loudest sound you will ever hear is "click" when you wanta hear a bang
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I stock pile carry ammo so I have some that is years old. Some 20 to 30 years old about eight feet down in air tight water proof containers of course. I expect it all to shoot 100%. Ammo has nothing to decay or deteriorate so if you do not let it contaminated in some way it should last forever. I shoot off the top round or two in my carry mag if they show wear and tear. As I just exchanged my carry ammo I shot off some Golden Sabers that must be five or six year old no problem. Shot Korean war army ball no problem either
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Got any friends that are in to practical jokes?

Maybe somebody took all the powder out of your ammo!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would suggest if your carry ammo is too expensive to shoot a few rounds every week or two you need to buy cheaper carry ammo,
    Why?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by dthowell View Post
    200 rounds since the federal ammo, I don't practice with carry ammo, way to expensive. my carry ammo is 30-40 for 20, while practice for the 45 is 20 for 50 rounds. yes I shot some of the federal a few years back, but I also shot the gun a millions times after. this gun has had at least 10000+ rounds through it. with never a misfire. It is possible it could have been a little of both fault. I will shoot the next one hundred from it this weekend. I plan on replacing the springs and fire pin just because it probably is time. But that gun has been very faithful!!!!

--Emphasis mine.

First off, wherever your buying your ammo from is ripping you off big time. $2/round for Federal JHP? What are they--gold-plated cases? Seriously--you need to find a new place to get your ammo from.

Second--these are the rounds you are trusting your life to. Personally, my life is worth making certain that the ammo functions well, and shoots to point of aim in my weapon--repeatedly. This means that I'll gladly burn a couple of hundred rounds of a prospective carry ammo through my pistol before I even consider carrying it. And, I'll make certain it keeps functioning by burning a box of it per month. My life is worth a box of high-end ammo every month (actually, since I carry a few different pistols, it's usually 3-4 boxes per month).

And finally--if, as you say, you've fired "thousands" of rounds through your pistol since you bought the carry ammo in question--and given the extortionate prices you've cited--you could simply forgo firing 100 rounds of practice ammo to refresh that box of JHP and have peace of mind.

Or, just keep on doing what you're doing. Maybe that next box of carry ammo you buy will function 5 years down the road. Or, maybe it won't. I guess it's your problem, not mine.
    Last edited by Cuda66; September 30th, 2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: dyslexic fingers
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links