BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!!

This is a discussion on BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty I agree 8 years to go without swapping out carry ammo seems like a lot I go thru a box at ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I agree 8 years to go without swapping out carry ammo seems like a lot I go thru a box at least every six months and mostly by attrition by shooting a mag or two every now and then and replacing it as needed
    I think we're onto something here.......sooner or later, you'll need to get real and down to earth with your expectations for your ammunition. IMO.

2. Remove Ads

as long as ammo is stored properly it should last & fire ok indefenetly, according to all ammo news that i have read

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Years ago, back in the '70s, I fired some old .44 Spl ammo given to me by a friends great grandfather. He swore they were made prior to 1900. I fired them in a new S&W M-29 I had just purchased. Each one fired, although the report and recoil were incredibly weak. My point is, that even though old ammunition may function, I sure wouldn't depend on it for personal defense. Old ammo and ammo exposed to extremes in humidity and temperature should be relegated to the range, where a misfire won't prove fatal.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by dthowell View Post
    SO I have had my Taurus .45 for about 8 years. I bought a box of Federal Hollow points for my carry Ammo. I have shot easily Thousands of rounds through this gun and personally never had a misfire or jam. Well I figured those hollow points were getting old so I was going to shoot them at the range and buy a new box. 12 misfires. The hammer hit the shell even left a indention. I know they were old but that is kind of scary. That was the gun and ammo I had by my bed side and in my glove box for years.

I had that same dream, but in my dream I,m not at the shooting range ,someone was trying HARD to KILL ME.
    I sold the Taurus and bought a Glock and the dreams stopped.

I,m sorry, it does just sound like bad ammo to me.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Old ammo and ammo exposed to extremes in humidity and temperature should be relegated to the range, where a misfire won't prove fatal.
    My guess is that pre 1900 ammo does not have anywhere near the performance of modern day ammo. Still what I quoted is the most relevant portion of your post. IMO. Improperly stored ammo will deteriorate. Keep your ammo dry and away from solvents and it should keep indefinitely. I doubt normal temperature changes would effect ammo. Of course you want to test any ammo you have had in storage before using it for SD. I have several hundred (thousands?) rounds of Golden Saber which is what I carried prior switching to HST if for some reason I use all the HST I have I have no reason to think that the Golden Saber perform as well as it did when I bought it.

If properly stored ammo does deteriorate I am up a creek if the SHTF.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links