BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!!

BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!!

This is a discussion on BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO I have had my Taurus .45 for about 8 years. I bought a box of Federal Hollow points for my carry Ammo. I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!!

Unhappy BAD Federal AMMO BAD!!!!

SO I have had my Taurus .45 for about 8 years. I bought a box of Federal Hollow points for my carry Ammo. I have shot easily Thousands of rounds through this gun and personally never had a misfire or jam. Well I figured those hollow points were getting old so I was going to shoot them at the range and buy a new box. 12 misfires. The hammer hit the shell even left a indention. I know they were old but that is kind of scary. That was the gun and ammo I had by my bed side and in my glove box for years.
    So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Last line of "Rifle Creed" by Major General William H. Rupertus (USMC, Ret.)

This is why I test my carry gun with 200 rounds of the ammo I will carry in it, even Revolvers.

Gee, wouldn't you feel like a fool if you needed the gun one night and all you heard was click six times.

Biker

I woud try out new ammo to make sure it was the old ammo and not a weak hammer spring. I usually shoot up my carry ammo every few months and then shoot some from the new box for QC assurance. It is a little more expensive than just practicing with Winchester White Box. I try to shoot my carry gun exactly as I was carrying it with the old ammo and without cleaning.

You said you had them in your glove box for years, how hot has your car gotten while they were there?

I agree 8 years to go without swapping out carry ammo seems like a lot I go thru a box at least every six months and mostly by attrition by shooting a mag or two every now and then and replacing it as needed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dthowell View Post
    SO I have had my Taurus .45 for about 8 years. I bought a box of Federal Hollow points for my carry Ammo. I have shot easily Thousands of rounds through this gun and personally never had a misfire or jam. Well I figured those hollow points were getting old so I was going to shoot them at the range and buy a new box. 12 misfires. The hammer hit the shell even left a indention. I know they were old but that is kind of scary. That was the gun and ammo I had by my bed side and in my glove box for years.
    8years
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

8 years ago a box of 45 hollowpoints cost about $8.00 wait til you see what they cost now you might wanta hold onto the new ones fer 20 years
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

1943 - 2009
    There has to be more to this story. If the ammo wasn't exposed to extremely harsh storage conditions, its shelf life should certainly exceed 8 years. I don't think storage in a glove compartment by itself should harm the ammo.

Maybe the ammo at some point was exposed to oil or lubricants, which could weaken or kill the primers.

I shot some Hornady .45 ACP ammo in 2006 that was at least 25 years old, no mis-fires.

I have a dwindling stash of USGI .45 ACP Ball ammo loaded in 1962 and 1963. I shoot a box every month or so, have never had a mis-fire.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    There has to be more to this story. If the ammo wasn't exposed to extremely harsh storage conditions, its shelf life should certainly exceed 8 years. I don't think storage in a glove compartment by itself should harm the ammo.

Maybe the ammo at some point was exposed to oil or lubricants, which could weaken or kill the primers.

I shot some Hornady .45 ACP ammo in 2006 that were at least 25 years old, no mis-fires.

I have a dwindling stash of USGI .45 ACP Ball ammo loaded in 1962 and 1963. I shoot a box every month or so, have never had a mis-fire.
    I agree I've shot military 45 ball that was over 40 years old and went bang everytime

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    You said you had them in your glove box for years, how hot has your car gotten while they were there?
    This should not make a difference. Got to be something else going on here.

which taurus model was it?

Never had a single problem with Federal. That being said, I rotate my carry ammo once a year.

i have a thread going in defensive rifles about federal ammo, it's underloaded and too weak to cycle my new S&WMP15, and i bought 1000 rounds of it

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    This should not make a difference. Got to be something else going on here.
    Agreed.

NYC found a sealed govt. storage cache of WW2 dated ammunition (50 cal IIRC) under a bridge several years back. It was tested and every round went boom. That ammo was shipped back to Uncle Sam toward re-use in the war effort.

The age of the ammo nor the means in which it was stored (which wasn't all that extreme as things go) is the problem here.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Were the indentations of the primer as deep as other ammo?
    If everything else fires OK, I would have to blame the ammo, but it is hard to imagine that Federal ammo fails to fire.
    I once had a Taurus .38 Spl that would fail to fire, but it was not ammo sensitive, it just had a problem that was never solved so I had it replaced by Taurus.

Please let us know anything further.

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links