9mm carry question

This is a discussion on 9mm carry question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NavyLT Obviously, every action and word at a trial would be under careful consideration of the advice of a good lawyer. The ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm carry question

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Obviously, every action and word at a trial would be under careful consideration of the advice of a good lawyer.
    The problem is that most people will talk to the police before your good lawyer ever gets to sit down and talk to you. If you use the verbage of I was trying to Kill him....you maybe in a pickle.

I train for high center mass, shoot to stop, and and pull the trigger as many times as I possible can to neutralize the threat.

If the attacker expires due to attack on me then that is a bi-product of my act of self defense.

I know what your saying; however, for somebody wearing a civilian hat engaging somebody as a civilian you unfortunalty are under the civililan law, not Navy law, or granted special protective policing powers unless your a sworn officer. Self Defense not only entails your right to defend your self against an attacker but defend your self from a possible crimianl prosecuation, and civil suits after the encounter. Most people train and probably can defend themselves from an attacker with a gun. Most people cannot defend themselves from spilling their guts to the responding police, stating something like "I killed him" or do something that will hurt them financially down the road.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    The problem is that most people will talk to the police before your good lawyer ever gets to sit down and talk to you.

Most people train and probably can defend themselves from an attacker with a gun. Most people cannot defend themselves from spilling their guts to the responding police, stating something like "I killed him" or do something that will hurt them financially down the road.
    Having been on the smelly end of the stick you talk about regarding a collision with a stop sign you are absolutely correct. Not a word gets spoken to the police other then name/rank/serial number without the lawyer.

Basically, I went to the cop shop at the request of a police officer after I had fulfilled all of my duties to inform the city of a stop sign I hit. He wrote me a bogus ticket 6 hours after the accident "because he had to" and it stood up in court; unbelievable. I was under no obligation to even speak to the cop about the incident, let alone go to police station. Hindsight is 20/20 - never again!

jeez, i go to bed for a few hours and i come back to this!

I already have bought my carry weapon and dont plan on changing it to the dude who said about purchasing keltec, plus from the reviews i read the PT is pretty decent, im new but i like it so far and havent had any issues.

Back to my question, what would you consider a good carry ammo? (as in brand name type etc, so i can just go to the store and pick it up).

Also, the discussions about legality and other such in this thread just goes to show the possible instability for using something like magsafe. My safety is of the highest importance to me, but so is my ass if i was to end up going to prison for 20 years. So therefor its not worth the risk of carrying magsafe, but instead maybe something somewhat as reliable.

VIP Member
    Well, first, the jury is out on Magsafe - no one reputable is claiming it to be the mother of all handgun loads - so don't think you are giving up much (if anything) by not carrying it.

As I posted before, find a good quality expanding ammo from a reputable manufacturer that functions reliably in your gun, and that you can shoot well. The end.

Some places to start:

Speer Gold Dot
    Winchester Ranger
    Federal HST

There are others, too - buy a box or two of all the premium defense loads you can find, and figure out which is the most reliable and the most accurate for you; the performance differences are much less important than your ability to hit what you are aiming at reliably...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Another couple you might want to try are Magtech Guardian Gold and Federal Hydra Shock. I would go with 124gr HP, not +P. I think 9mm velocity is high enough without going to +P ammo.

You got a Taurus PT-111 24/7 or Millenium Pro?

mag safe's website doesn't list the 9mm being an issue - only the .380 for the P3AT.

there is always the PF9 from keltec - or non-magsafe ammo
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

For me anything in 9 MM has to be at least +P.

My current Duty Load is Federal 115 Grain +P+ JHP. Other loads I like are:

Corbon 115 Grain +P DPX
    Winchester 127 Grain +P+ JHP
    Gold Dot 124 Grain +P JHP

I am more "selective" with my 9 MM ammo than any other caliber, except 38 Special because there is less of a "margin for error" in selecting a good round.

Biker

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmash View Post
    jeez, i go to bed for a few hours and i come back to this!

I already have bought my carry weapon and dont plan on changing it to the dude who said about purchasing keltec, plus from the reviews i read the PT is pretty decent, im new but i like it so far and havent had any issues.

Back to my question, what would you consider a good carry ammo? (as in brand name type etc, so i can just go to the store and pick it up).

Also, the discussions about legality and other such in this thread just goes to show the possible instability for using something like magsafe. My safety is of the highest importance to me, but so is my ass if i was to end up going to prison for 20 years. So therefor its not worth the risk of carrying magsafe, but instead maybe something somewhat as reliable.
    Speer makes a Gold Dot load tailored for short barrels. It's what I carry in my compact 9mm.

Conventional wisdom suggests that the 124 gr loads perform better that the heavier 147s in short barrels, because there might not be enough velocity to reliably expand the 147s.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Another couple you might want to try are Magtech Guardian Gold and Federal Hydra Shock. I would go with 124gr HP, not +P. I think 9mm velocity is high enough without going to +P ammo.

You got a Taurus PT-111 24/7 or Millenium Pro?

it is the PT111 millenium pro, there was a ton of confusion between all the different ones, but its the one that is 12+1.

I really really liked the PT 24/7 pro, the "sticky" grip was absolutely great, i have small hands and it fit perfectly as does the PT111, but the 111 was smaller and being that this is my CC weapon that is what i was going for.

as far as the ammo goes, i think i will go to the local shop and pick up some of those yall listed and try them out, i wasn't sure if there was a specific "godsend" ammo.

another issue is yall are talkin about grains and all that. Im brand spankin new to all things gun, which has added to the confusion!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I tell ya what hand , Just carry the worst 9mm ammo that you can find . If the deity forbid you actually shoot someone well then subpoena some experts like say Taylor who will all agree that the 9mm is totally unsuitable for anything more stressful than shooting small dogs , mice , rats , and other non dangerous vermin . BTW i carry a 9 , and frankly anything from standard P hydrashocks through the +P dpx is fine with me . I more believe its where i shoot them than the bean i shoot them with . Also my advise is worth just as much as anyone elses , Its still online advise and as such worth what you pay for it . One thing in your OP did bother me tho ..

but after reading some things i worry about the legality of carrying with it.
    I have to ask , You do have a permit for said pistol dont you ? If so all is well and thanks for coming here for info. If not well go get one and come back .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

im not carrying ATM, just once in the car (in a backpack next to the driver seat) which from my understanding is legal in florida, but will be carrying soon, just waiting for the permit in the mail. Just doin my homework before the due date if ya get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmash View Post
    I specifically didnt get a keltec because of there inability to shoot magsafe, but after reading some things i worry about the legality of carrying with it. Being new to shooting, i have no idea on ammo types or anything like that. Right now at the range i have been shooting PNC bronze, but i feel like i should be storing / carrying with something "better".
    The PMC Bronze ammo is good. I've tried it in my G27 (40S&W). It's also fairly clean shooting also and priced reasonable. I rather like the Speer 124+P GoldDots myself. Have you tried any HP's in your pistol?

no, the PMC is all ive shot, i think it is.....10 for a box of 50? i cant remember. Hopefully next weekend when i go and pick some up for home storage i will shoot a few to see what its all about.

DOH! I should have looked at you avatar and known it was a mil pro. I carry the P145 version. Two things I have found with this gun, I don't know if this applies to the 9mm or not:

1. Try this with the gun UNLOADED. Partialy depress the trigger, while doing so put the safety on. The slide should be locked closed now by the safety, but if you engaged the safety with the trigger slightly depressed, release the trigger and attempt to pull the trigger, the gun will still fire now with the safety on. Just something to be aware of.

2. I grip the gun naturally with my pinky under the magazine because the grip is too small. My wife naturally gripped the gun on the grip only, allowing the magazine to hang freely, while my grip tended to push it up into the gun. When we first got it, it would jam about 80% of the time for her, fail to feed, but was 100% reliable for me. We finally figured out it was the difference in the magazine position due to our difference in grips. We sent it back to Taurus which improved, but did not completely correct the problem. She got a Glock 27 and I took the mil pro since it had never malfunctioned for me. Like I said, don't know if this will be a problem with the 9mm or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links