'22's in clay - tests.

'22's in clay - tests.

This is a discussion on '22's in clay - tests. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We discussed 22's and ice pics in Euc's thread today - and I mentioned I think that I had done some tests long, long ago ...

Thread: '22's in clay - tests.

Assistant Administrator

'22's in clay - tests.

We discussed 22's and ice pics in Euc's thread today - and I mentioned I think that I had done some tests long, long ago - back in days when I used a suppressed rifle for rabbit hunting - every hit a ''thwop'' and drop!

I posted this on another board a long time ago but having found the pics were still on a server, thought I'd post it here - a reminder perhaps that however ''anaemic, and non-stopper'' the round may be - it sure is capable of some damage effects! Oh and I know the clay is non elastic - but it does still tell something of a snapshot of peak effect.

Hope of some interest.

.22lr ballistics tests - pics and rationale.

First off ... this was done 24 years ago!! I hunted for spare prints but found none so - having still got the negatives, scanned those to generate positives ..... quality not great and original lighting differences made for some variations in results, tho I have ''tweaked'' some just quickly. I have kept them small .. only 400 pix wide and well compressed in grayscale.

It was not very scientific but done as a matter of interest. I used only modelling clay .... wet enough to be shaped by hand with effort in to a ''sausage'' ... not soggy. Ballistic gelatin it is not but ... does nonetheless provide some comparison data.

Ammo used was from what I had at the time .... not even sure if all of it is still around!

With the amount I had on hand, of course wall thickness was not great and so ''containment'' of any expansion was not great. It did however prove interesting as to the effects one might expect ... and also I thought helps to prove that the humble .22lr is not entirely without need for respect!!

These examples below were all fired from full length rifle barrel (IIRC, my Mauser Obendorfe bolt - 22" bbl or so) at 30 feet distance ... much further and the ability to hit center would have been compromized ... as it was I bore sighted first for each shot. Entry from right of sectioned clay.

After shot placement .. the clay ''sausage'' was sectioned carefully with a sharp knife ...... until one half showed clearly what had occurred ... I then added marks at 1" intervals to help with scale.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was the round I most used when doing target 22 - Eley ''Club'', std velocity ...... solid round nose ...... straight thru the 9" chunk ..... and I was surprised by the apparent cavitation on entry

Here, a Rem HV round .... I guess around 1200 fps, and HP ......this was only a 6" long chunk of clay but, cavitation is pretty dramatic. Note bullet still to be seen...... stopped much quicker thru energy transfer.

This was a Rem ''Yellow jacket'' .. not even sure if they are still around. IIRC this was Rem's answer to CCI's Stingers .... a HP again. Pretty awesome cavitation .. tho clay did thin out badly. can't see if bullet was there .... but did not penetrate right thru of course.

Now the CCI ''Stinger'' ..... similar results to ''Yellow Jacket'' ..... rapid expansion, cavitation and shallow penetration. Again no bullet to be seen ..... I think maybe they fragment too much to leave an obvious piece.

Finally here - the other extreme! Winchester ''Hush Power'' ... my rifle's staple diet back then when I hunted rabbits with a silencer .. ''phut'' was about the limit of sound! Most shots at 50 yds ... lethal every time ''Whopp!''. This pancaked bullet is just visible, as it was about to exit ... IMO VERY presentable cavitation for a sub sonic.

There we are ..... just some interest perhaps ... plus (and this was why I shot them originally) ... a useful reminder as to what a ''humble'' .22lr can do. NOT a toy!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Jeez... man. Of course I can't help but wonder what say a .357 might do in comparison.

But still... yikes.

Assistant Administrator
    .357 Euc - there would not be any clay left to inspect!

Have to be a much bigger chunk for that! Like a cubic foot.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If nothing else it looks like it was fun to do ..

Lead Moderator
    intresting. .22 will get the job done, just not always, or in a timely manner. I once shot rabbit with a sub sonic .22. watched it for 2 min. , it just sat there. went to walk up and see if I hit it and it toppled over. Never did find and entry wound.

Administrator

Thanks Chris

Great Pics.
    Looking at your halved blocks of clay brings out the moldmaking artist in me.
    It would be NEAT not to cut the clay but, to pour plaster in the entrance holes & make 3D impact sculptures!

As a Youth in on my grandads farm in Tenn. when it rained the red clay would get very gooey, for hoots I would fire into it with the .22. I was continually amazed at the crater they would make, 10-12" across and just as deep, knid of looked like a metorite impact.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

In years gone by I was teaching my step-sons about gun safety. I was graduating them from the BB gun to a single shot .22. The oldest one said that it wasn't much bigger than a BB and he didn't think it would do much. I went to the storeroom and brought out a plastic milk jug and filled it with water. I put the boys behind me and shot the jug at 25 yards and it, of course, literally exploded. The sides were still attached to the bottom of the jug and were flat and the top third of the jug landed about 10 yards away. I then handed a .22 HP cartridge to the oldest and asked him to look at it again. All he could say was "Wow, that little thing did all that!". Needless to say, they both had a lot more respect for the "little" .22 after that....
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Sponsored Links