.32ACP vs .380ACP - Page 2

.32ACP vs .380ACP

This is a discussion on .32ACP vs .380ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. In my observation, the majority of Bersa 380's run fine and work fine. I've got about 3500 shots through one with no problems and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .32ACP vs .380ACP

1951 - 2011
    Hello. In my observation, the majority of Bersa 380's run fine and work fine. I've got about 3500 shots through one with no problems and am still on original parts other than the recoil spring. I do not think the pistol is offered in .32 ACP.

I agree with the idea of not going below .380 ACP for "serious" purposes.

Before retirement from police work, I saw shootings in which the .380 worked but others where it failed to "stop". The most "interesting" of those involved a drunk who was sitting right on the railroad tracks after having been shot in the leg (I don't remember which) by a dude using a .380 loaded with ball. (I don't recall the brand) The drunk's femur was broken. He was in no particular pain but was also pretty well "poached" with alcohol.

Best.

Mouseguns

For me, I carry a KT .32 as a weak side BUG. I can empty it weak hand only with no problems and hit as accurately as I need. With the KT .380, I can't get through the magazine without having to stop and adjust my grip, and it hurts to go through a box of 50 FMJ .380s, much less 102gr Gold Sabers. I have a Colt Govt. .380, and in the bigger gun and grip it's an easy gun to shoot, but it's bigger and heavier for BUG use. It's just a balance (like any CCW) with easy to shoot and easy to carry.

Went with the 380 auto in the Ruger LCP. Would not go any smaller and this is actually a back up pistol or main carry if wearing minimal clothing.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

My P3AT is awesome no issues whatsoever...Right out the box from reading various threads on DC...I polished the feeder ...clean and oiled the weapon...and now after 500 rounds down range ...I have not had a single jam...I carry my P3AT all the time in my front pocket..(sweats,slacks, short pants, and PJ's....ROFL)...My P3AT loaded with 6 +1 weighs less than 10oz..Comparison A Treo 700p cell phone weighs in at 6.7 ounces...

It's odd, the different experiences folks have with their P3AT pistols, IfIhaveto. My second generation took 500 rounds to finally settle down and function reliably.

I was initially very displeased with it. It was jamming once or more with each magazine-full fired. I read all the fluff & buff stuff on the Kel Tec forum but decided to make a hobby out of shooting mine to break it in. Little was I to know that the break in period would stretch out to half a year and 500 rounds. Yeah, fluff & buff'ing would have been simpler. It'd be simpler yet to pay a bit more for a handgun that was factory finished to work right in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Little was I to know that the break in period would stretch out to half a year and 500 rounds.
    26 weeks to shoot 500 rounds?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

The .32 fires a smaller, lighter bullet at about the same velocities as the .380, and is subject to rim-lock. With the .380, several companies offer truely hot ammo loaded with the best expanding bullets. While you generally get only 10" of penetration, you ususally do get nice expansion.

Since I can get either the .32 or the .380 in about the same size an weight of pistol, why would I want a .32?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I get so tired of the " if it don't start with a 4 and end with a 5 you ain't protected" BS!!!! Maybe some of these uneducated people need to look back in history and see the tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people that have died on European soil from the 32 caliber round!! I agree bigger is usually better but only if you can control it and put the shots where they count.
    Out of micro barrels like the Keltecs and my favorite the NAA Guardians there is little difference between the 32 and 380, I have the Guardians in bot calibers, but when you get up into longer barrels the difference becomes more apparent. I have a Sig P232, IMO one of the best 380's ever made, if not the best!! I have never felt undergunned when I carry this gun, usually to church or when dressed up. Most would never hesitate to carry a 38 special and feel well protected, but they squack at the 380 round. They need to look at some of the new ammo offerings from folks like Buffalo Bore, they assemble a Gold Dot that out performs the Hydrashok in 38 special!! 1200+ FPS !!!! I carry this round in my Guardian and P232, and I can place them where they count. Sure my everyday carry gun is a G23, but as I said, I never feel under gunned when I have nothing but my puny, good for noth'in 380 acp!! Some folks need to spend some more time on the range and off the forums!!
    Sorry, I have had a rough day!! lol!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Smile

I have both Kel-Tecs and Bersas in 380. Check out Double Tap Ammunition on the web. They have a FMJ load that meets SAAMI sandards and has almost no muzzle flash that gives 250 foot pounds of energy in a Bersa and 200 in a KT.
    In a little gun that's actually smaller and lighter than a vest pocket 25 pistol that's amazing. This rides around in the watch pocket of some brands of jeans and comes out so nicely that it's almost like open carry but yet invisible to others.

My favorite gun is my XD-45c but the little KT is always there.

Somebody makes a .380 cartridge consisting of a 100 gr. LSWC which launches at 1100 fps. That's pretty hot for a .380. I'd hate like the dickens to take a couple of those in the face.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Somebody makes a .380 cartridge consisting of a 100 gr. LSWC which launches at 1100 fps.
    That would be Buffalo Bore Ammunition.

It's a 100 grain hard cast FN (not SWC), rated at 1125 FPS.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It's odd, the different experiences folks have with their P3AT pistols, IfIhaveto. My second generation took 500 rounds to finally settle down and function reliably.

I was initially very displeased with it. It was jamming once or more with each magazine-full fired. I read all the fluff & buff stuff on the Kel Tec forum but decided to make a hobby out of shooting mine to break it in. Little was I to know that the break in period would stretch out to half a year and 500 rounds. Yeah, fluff & buff'ing would have been simpler. It'd be simpler yet to pay a bit more for a handgun that was factory finished to work right in the beginning.
    I agree ...but I also live with...anything Man made is fallible...so with the information given here on DC I have a very reliable weapon...

.380 vs .32

I would like the echo the .380 over the .32. I have a Bursa Thunder in .380 and it's smaller size allows several carry options in warm weather. The Rem. Golden Sabers will do nicely and have produced no jams.

When it gets cooler and I have a jacket, I will go back to my 9mm Beretta. Why? I can hit what I'm aiming at! Good luck.

I like the .32 myself and always carry a Beretta 3032, but I would suggest that you shot both calibers in handguns that you are looking at and choose which ever you like and can shot best.
    Semper Fi

I just read a a post in a Field And Stream, same question and a person answered the .380 is ballistically superior to the .32. I don't believe that. I believe the .32 is more accurate, It's muzzle energy is like 25 pounds on the lighter side, being Sellior And Bellot is around 170 Foot Pounds and .380 is like 200, hardly inferior to the .380. Me........I just like the .32. I like it's historical connections to European Law Enforcement, the use in the early Mauser pistols and the Walther PP and PPK, ELemr Kieth (The Grandfahter of the .44 magnum loved it, Patton carried one and it is just a COOL little cartridge. Bullet placement is the key to stopping someone. Ballistically the .380 is a heavier round, both hit with relatively the same energy provided your using higher end .32 or actual European loadings, for some .32 can be as low as 130 foot pounds of energy. I like the .32 better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links