Trying out EFMJ's

This is a discussion on Trying out EFMJ's within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a few boxes of 'Expanding Full Metal Jacket' .45 cal bullets made by Federal. Have you seen these? They look almost like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying out EFMJ's

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

Trying out EFMJ's

I just bought a few boxes of 'Expanding Full Metal Jacket' .45 cal bullets made by Federal. Have you seen these? They look almost like ball ammo, but they have a rubber inside the tip that squashes flat on impact. Maybe not as good as hollowpoint but better than ball. I think I might like these. I think anyone having feeding problems with hollowpoints, especially in short barreled .45's would solve their problem with these bullets. Anybody else have any experience with these?

2. Remove Ads

usually a Ball profile will help with guns having a chokeing problem with HP's

Hence Corbons powerball designed to be like a FMJ but expand like a hollow point sounds like the fedral ammo is based on same concept how abouts a Pic

Sometimes feed problems in short barrel 45's can be a lot of things .. slightly out of time bad extractor and of course bad mag

I would try a box see if it helps

Here's a pic showing a couple HP's and the EFMJ.
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    I have yet to evaluate these but in theory they seem to have a lot going for them.

Average HP could thru heavy clothing do a ''cookie cutter'' deal and stuff up - thus possibly preventing any expansion. These fellas do seem to get round that - plus potential major feed benefits.

I guess an increase in reliability factor perhaps - both ballistic and function in gun.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Im way too buzzed right now to look up the thread. But someone from this forum told me about this round when I was concerned about HP's feeding from my .45. It seems like this would be a nice round, but its still abit new for me to change just yet.

I remember reading about them and wanted to try them out. However, I haven't seen them for sale yet locally. Please, give us a range report. Now here's something I'm curious about, I've heard both ways, that it is and isn't legal for the military to carry according to the various convetions and treaties, anyone have an actual answer?

A1C Lickey

I know how you feel gregarat, tonight was our squadron Christmas party. Probably the first time I've ever been glad I live on base.

Now here's something I'm curious about, I've heard both ways, that it is and isn't legal for the military to carry according to the various convetions and treaties, anyone have an actual answer?
    This is the way I understand it, I may be wrong. Our military is restricted to using ball ammo against another country. Against terrorists, insurgents, etc, using HP, and other ammo is oky-doky . Here's the stupid part. To my understanding, our military doesn't have to abide to the Hague thingy, we choose to

I know how you feel gregarat, tonight was our squadron Christmas party. Probably the first time I've ever been glad I live on base.
    Im, just a night home with the ol'lady. But Its rare we both have the same time off, much less a night.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    FMJ-- ?? There are several reasons that the U.S. military (mostly) uses FMJ ammo. To kill our emenies humanely is not one of them. In the last 30 years or so our military has branched out to allot of sub-branches and sub-sub-branches. They all evaluate weapons and ammo and come up what will suit their"mission" the best. Within a platoon,squad,or fire team,their can be 2-4(or so) different calibers used. Within those calibers their could(can) be a couple of different loadings. With different bullets and or powder charges. There are certin groups of the US military that use their own hand loaded ammo. You can imagine the stuff that they use. But for the most part, ammo requests are forwarded up the chain of command,and what is wanted (if justified) is ok'ed,and sent on to the manufacturers. Small lots are sent back to the specialized unit for their evaluation/approval. If given the "thumbs up" by the units,the manufacturer (Win,Fed,Rem,Speer,CorBon,etc.) will produce small lots that will be shipped directly back to these units for training and use in their upcomeing"projects". This works for other than small arms ammo also.Grenades,rockets,and some other air launched munitions are "speciality items". I think that it's great. At least in some cases,our soldiers are gettin' the speciality items that they need to protect themselves with -----and---oh yeah----kick the crap outta the BG's with.------------

Preliminary Range Report

Well I just got back from the gun club where I tried out the Hawg 9 again. I have good news. It works beautifully. No FTF or FTE's!! I just hadn't cleaned it before using it. Lesson learned!! I did not take any targets with me so I just emptied it into the backstop a couple of mags worth. It shot like it was supposed to. I will try to get back out with some targets and let you know how accurate it is as soon as possible. Maybe tommorrow but I can't promise. Thanks for all your help and encouragement during this uncertain time. I really appreciate it.

Assistant Administrator
    Hank - glad to hear a good result. Relief eh!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

ann
    Here is a cut away pic..I found the efmj to be Inconsistent performer in my tests.I would not use it unless I was in a state that had a ban of hollow points.
    Joe Zambone of magsafe fame had a expanding FMJ that he sold,years before federal came out with the emfj that was a better performer IMO.
    Attached Images

OD*
    Do you have any photo's of Zambone's Magsafe "Q" loading? I think it may be a little premature to say it was a better performer than Burczynski's EFMJ, no?

If they bring it out in 230 grain, I'll look hard at it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

ann
    Joes long gone(RIP) and so is the MAGSAFE expanding FMJ New Jersey Q design.It was a better design IMO he just never had the time to work out the rough edges,but thats a moot point at this time.BTW Zambones original "SWAT" round in .45acp was a very tissue destructive FMJ profile round but it had limited range and low penetration.

I have tested other FMJ expanding type designed rounds over the years and found them all to be lacking in some way over a standard high quality HP design..but I guess the FMJ expanding rounds are a compromise at best for those that can not carry a HP or have feeding issues

If I had to carry a FMJ profile round I would use cor-bon PWR-BALL .

FWIW-The .45acp round in the 2nd and 3rd pic was the best FMJ type expanding round I ever tested it was a prototype built by the out of biz...F/X Labs called the "X".Rounds were tested in hogs where they had great penetration,were very destructive/deadly and expanded everytime.
    Attached Images

Glad to hear the gun work well for you this time

Me too!! I hope to get to the range and see how accurate it is. I think it is going to be deadly accurate. That would be the best way to describe it. After I verify it is working well and accurate then I will send it back to Para to get the ambi-saftey installed. Hope that doesn't take too long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links