Ammo surprise

Ammo surprise

This is a discussion on Ammo surprise within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What to do one a dreary windy wet day. So I bundled up 20 magazines and a phone book on top of a hard bound ...

Thread: Ammo surprise

VIP Member

Ammo surprise

What to do one a dreary windy wet day.
    So I bundled up 20 magazines and a phone book on top of a hard bound book of magazine size. Then I went out and shot the bundle with one of each of the subject rnds. Not scientific, the .38 & .357 came out of a 6.5 inch barrel and the .327 from basically a 3" barrel. The .38 was a jacketed flat point at 125 gr, the other two were lead jacketed soft points; with the .357 at 125 gr and the .327 at 100 gr. The .38spl+p got through 17 magazines. The .357, 20 magazines + to page 206 in the phone book. The .327, 20 magazines + to
    page 283 of the phone book, the jacket was gone for this rnd.
    So what does it mean, I think the nay sayers were wrong!

The smaller, lighter bullet will travel farther and go faster. That's why a 22-250 will go through 1/4" plate steel and a .308 will only dent it. Less resistance, more energy at target. Thing is with your scenario, you want the round to hit a human like a brick wall, and focusing most of the energy inside in a short distance. You don't want to make a clean hole through and just have them bleed in the next 20 seconds, you want a stopper. Your .357 is still the best bet there. I'm not a scientist by the way, so it's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thing is with your scenario, you want the round to hit a human like a brick wall, and focusing most of the energy inside in a short distance.
    Well using his examples wouldn't that be the 38?? It expended its energy in the shortest distance.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Well using his examples wouldn't that be the 38?? It expended its energy in the shortest distance.

Nope. The 357 started out with more energy.

Sponsored Links