Field Report: 230gr XTP Vs. 125lb Hog

This is a discussion on Field Report: 230gr XTP Vs. 125lb Hog within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In WA it is open season on feral hogs year round no permit or license required, I think you can even get a permits to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field Report: 230gr XTP Vs. 125lb Hog

In WA it is open season on feral hogs year round no permit or license required, I think you can even get a permits to hunt them in the National Forest where all other hunting is strictly forbidden. I've eaten Hawaii hog and it was tough best as jerky. We used pits and knives no guns. More than a few locals have hogs scars they are mean SOB's
    In Louisiana my brother was bow hunting feral hogs but wanted a back up in case they came after him, which is illegal you are not supposed to have handguns bow hunting. He wanted to get a 44 mag but the guy at the shop talked him into a .357. He goes back to the shop to pick up the gun. Guy in ringing up the gun and some ammo. My brother asks now are you sure this will knock that pig down. The whole shop got quiet, the clerk looks over my brothers shoulder. My brothers looks back and there stands Dodge Boy the stereo typical Louisiana state patrolman mirrored sunglasses and all. My brother quietly wraps up his package and left the store without another word
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Check your state laws. In Texas we can shoot a hog with a slingshot or a Barret .50cal if we wanted to, and if you were hunting them with a bow you could darn sure carry a pistol with you. As far as licenses go, I believe in TX you still need a bottom of the line huntin license in order to hunt feral hogs/predators.

BTW, I've hunted with both .44 and .357 and would take the .44mag anyday over the .357. Elmer Keith said it best, big bullet and big hole = a lot of air in and a lot of blood out.

I think it would be interesting to load up some 230gr cast lead slugs in my .45 and try to run em up to 950fps. I think this would be as good a hog load as you could come across in .45acp. Maybe somethin to experiment with when I have the time.

Jake
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

Nice looking hogs there, congratulations! I've always wanted to try hunting hogs with a handgun, seems like it'd be just about the perfect hunt but I think I'd be packing a .44mag for that.

We've got lots of deer and wild turkey in my area (or north of here where I'm from) but no hogs.

Do you skin them out or boil them and scrub the fur off when you dress them out? Don't tell my doctor but I'm just about crazy for good pork.
    Jack

I live in Edinburg and got a super combo hunting license,being disabled it was free,I got a friend wants to take me deer and possibly hog hunting,In Tx you can shoot as many hogs as you want,people tell me they don't taste like farm pigs and after killing them ya wanta wait about 1/2 hour to let all the critters like fleas get off them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've heard that too, dunno if it's true or not. At the 30 minute mark they're usually loaded in the truck or jeep bein hauled back to camp to be skinned/gutted. They are most deffinately COVERED in ticks/fleas! Always check yourself after ya get back home for ticks after skinnin one of these animals.

My grandfather used to boil and shave the hides on domestic pigs after he and his family slaughtered them back in the 20's and 30's. With wild hogs however, you will find such a MASS of long wiry hair that you really need to skin em out.

BTW, I've always found the pork loin off wild hogs to be FANTASTIC!

Jake
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

this thread is making me hungry

Quote Originally Posted by TarletonRanger View Post
    BTW, I've always found the pork loin off wild hogs to be FANTASTIC!

Jake
    Okay, now you're just rubbing it in and that ain't fair!
    Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links