Field Report: 230gr XTP Vs. 125lb Hog

This is a discussion on Field Report: 230gr XTP Vs. 125lb Hog within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a buddy that has been really interested to try some predator huntin, (He'd never been), and asked if I'd like to try callin ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field Report: 230gr XTP Vs. 125lb Hog

Field Report: 230gr XTP Vs. 125lb Hog

I've got a buddy that has been really interested to try some predator huntin, (He'd never been), and asked if I'd like to try callin a few coyotes up for him. I jumped at the chance and told him if he had access to land, I'd bring the calls. Scouting the different areas out Saturday morning, we caught sight of a couple of pigs and about 20 piglets in a field about 400 yards out from our truck, in a field. Killing the engine, we grabbed rifles, loaded up and started puttin a sneak on em. At about 100 yards, they either caught our wind or saw us, because the group bolted into a creek about 15 yards to their left, and just before entering I was able to snap off a shot with my 22-250 at one of the larger pigs. Out the other side of the creek bolted the other adult pig, which was dropped in two shots from my huntin partner with a .308.

Seeing that "my" pig hadn't exited the thick area of the creek, I dropped my 22-250, pulled my .45 and ran into the creek in time to catch a glimpse of the backside of a hog runnin away from me. I snapped a shot off at it's butt from about 30 yards, and the 230gr HP made a loud WHOP upon impact, but didn't slow her down any. Sprinting through the creek after her I was able to get two more shots into her from behind before she realized she'd had enough of that, and turned to come back my way. She made it to about 20-25 yards from me before another .45cal bullet slammed into her skull and put her on the ground. All in all, a really fun and unexpected morning, never did get to break out my calls, but it sounds like I may have a place to hunt up here from now on.

This is one of my bullets that I pulled out of the pig. It had entered the rear right ham, shattered the bone and traveled to the edge of her stomach. Any bullet that can handle that and still look like this will deffinately stay as my carry load in the pistol. Factory Hornady 230gr XTP +P.

Jake
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

2. Remove Ads

How is the meat on these animals?

(I'm assuming that you wouldn't shoot them if you or somebody else weren't going to eat them. Either that, or unless they posed a threat or hazard to you or your property in some way, which it doesn't sound as though they did.)

Do you do all the butchering yourself?

Feral hogs are great table fare, especially the sows. The pic was taken just prior to me skinning/gutting/butchering. Believe me, I didn't just hang her up there for show and tell. Haha. To tell the truth however, we'd probably still shoot em if we didn't even have room for em at the time. (If this happens I'm usually able to easily find a buddy that wants the meat). Hogs are such a HUGE problem right now that the landowners that allow me to hunt on their land appreciate it if I shoot on sight any and all hogs that are seen. For this one, I've already eaten one of the tenderloins, and the hams I've boned out for the smoker.

What I was most impressed with was the performance of Hornady's bullet in the pig. I've seen the bullet tests shooting a round through demin, and then on into ballistic gel, but there are few things tougher than a hog. If you ever get the chance to check out the bone running up through the ham of a pig, it is BIG! The bullet in the picture SMASHED it to piecesand continued to penetrate to the edge of the stomach. The hide alone on a feral hog is tough as all get out. I have complete confidence that had it been a broadside, behind the shoulder shot, the pig wouldn't have needed but one shot.

This greatly affirmed my confidence in the 230gr XTP +P as carry round.

Jake

1951 - 2011
    Hello, sir, and kudos on the hogs. Like yourself, I've had good luck with Hornady XTP bullets in a couple of calibers in the field.

Best.

Very interesting! Feral hogs made the news this evening here. It appears Fort Chaffee is requesting deer hunters to take hogs when possible this season....they are becoming a problem apparently. AG&FC spokesman was telling of the environmental damage they do. I worked with a couple friends years ago in construction that lived out east of here and went hog hunting specifically, but they used shotguns with slugs and 44 magnums for that. One of them swore his SKS was the best medicine on feral hogs. Personally, I've never been hog hunting. Maybe since they are becoming over-populated, I should give it a try.

being from ft lauderdale ive never hunted....is it true that hogs will charge you? Or is that just in the movies.

You know, .45 ACP has become deer legal now in MN...I was toying with taking my Glock 21 with me this year...and I think I found the round I want to use.

Nice shooting, sir.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hog hunting is my #1 form of hunting and most landowners will let
    you kill as many as you can.

They are a big problem in my neck of the woods.
    I think ill try that brand of bullets in my Marlin 94 .44 mag next time I go.
    I need to get some for my P220 and try that also.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I grew up in Granbury TX and definitely miss hunting hogs. We have them here in Missouri as well, but they are not as abundant in my area and very hard to find. The Conservation Dept. has deemed open season, shoot on sight.

Yes, feral hogs WILL charge....and YES, ther good eating!

Thanks for the post hunt report. 'Dems nice Hogs!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Hog hunting is my #1 form of hunting and most landowners will let
    you kill as many as you can.

They are a big problem in my neck of the woods.
    I think ill try that brand of bullets in my Marlin 94 .44 mag next time I go.
    I need to get some for my P220 and try that also.
    :O....where in sofla is your neck of the woods? I know out in the glades by 27th there is some game, but never knew they had hogs.

Can you eat it the same as you would a normal pig? Does it taste like ham?

What was the weight of the hog as taken with the .45?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thanks all, the pig weighed in plus/minus 125lbs. In answer to a question, I've heard of hogs charging before but I've been huntin em regularly since I was about 10 and have NEVER had it happen. I don't believe this particular hog was chargin either, I just think she was tired of gettin smacked in the rear end and decided to try a different direction. I've been in on trackin down plenty of wounded hogs before, sows and boars, and everytime I've seen that their number one priority is to get the away from you as fast as possible.

About cookin em, the only part that might taste like a ham would actually be the ham.....I never cure this particular chunk of meat, instead I prefer to slow cook it on a smoker. A nice recipe that I like to use that nearly everyone enjoys is to make a kind of buffalo wing dish with the meat.

Cut the tenderloin into cutlets, batter and fry them.
    Mix a cup of hot wing sauce with 1/2 stick of butter and melt it in a sauce pan.

When both phases are done, use the hot wing sauce on the meat like it was gravy and enjoy. One prep step I always take when cooking wild animals that I've killed, is to soak the meat in ice cold salt water just prior to cooking in order to draw out as much blood as possible.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmash View Post
    being from ft lauderdale ive never hunted....is it true that hogs will charge you? Or is that just in the movies.
    You're not too far from Hog Huntin' in Ft Liquordale. A quick Google for FL wild boars returned plenty Here is one Guide You got to love bubba. As long as you are sober when you arrive...They'll even loan a 12 gauge...and clean it. Guaranteed bag for 200.00 or 100.00 w/o Guarantee..
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

hey thanks for the link there rolyat, and thanks for the info tarl

ive been reading up about the whole hog thing...

http://myfwc.com/hunting/pdf/08-09Hu...nsHandbook.pdf

what im seeing on page 17 is you really dont need any licenses or anything to hunt them? I dont plan on doing this alone, figure i could find someone who knows the ropes...but is that the case?
    Last edited by gatorsmash; October 3rd, 2008 at 01:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links