Best all-around 9mm

This is a discussion on Best all-around 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a question that perhaps someone with more experience can answer. I am newer to shooting pistols and was curious, if there is an ...

Thread: Best all-around 9mm

Best all-around 9mm

I had a question that perhaps someone with more experience can answer. I am newer to shooting pistols and was curious, if there is an accuracy issue with the value priced 9mm ammo, or is there one that most people consider to be more accurate? The reason I ask is my wife recently got a Walther P22. I had some old Winchester Wildcat ammo she initially shot out of it and she shot it okay. We then switched to a new box of some value priced .22LR and her shots were everywhere. She became discouraged and wasn't enjoying shooting very much. I then loaded her magazines with a premium ammo and her groups drastically improved. Come to find out the ammo made a difference from 4-5" groups at 7 yards to 1-1.5" groups. So it made me wonder how accurate value priced 9mm ammo is. I generally purchase CCI Blazer Brass, but have used Blazer, WWB, Remington UMC. Was looking at Wolf ammo, but haven't used it. Most of my shooting has been targets at the range, but I have gotten involved with IDPA. Any input and insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I had the same problem w/ my sons P22. It wasn't as drastic but it was a noticeable difference. Some guns like certain ammo. I would try a different brand of cheap ammo and see if it works.

On the 9mm I use the Walmart cheapo Winchester and it shoots just fine. If you are new to shooting you probably will not notice the difference in accuracy. If you have a quality firearm you usually have more to do with the accuracy(or lack of) than the ammo or gun does.

I have never noticed much difference in accuracy with cheaper 9mm ammo. Premium self defense ammo might tighten up groups a little or be more to the point of aim. However, I have seen big differences with rimfire ammo, sometimes from the same manufacturer but a different lot number. Go figure! I know target shooters use gauges to measure the OAL and uniformity of bargain .22LR ammo before they shoot for groups.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    For some reason, .22's are a different breed. I shot competition for many years and the .22 match rifle only liked Eley Tenex (major $$). Anything else just wouldn't group. My friend's Ruger MK3 is also touch about ammo and groups premium stuff great while spreading valu-paks all over the paper. Larger bores just don't seem to be as picky. My son's 9mm shoots premium and WWB just the same. My .45 is the same way. Go figure.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Okay then. Thanks for your input

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    After following Marshall's site for a few years and ever other after action report I can I've decided that in premium ammo there isn't any differency anymore in the stopping ability of them. It is all shot placement. There won't be a half inch difference in groups by the same weight of bullet between brands. I buy deals and stock up when I get a deal.

Links