Winchester White box Facts - Page 2

Winchester White box Facts

This is a discussion on Winchester White box Facts within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usethe WWB ammo in my XD for range practic and have put nearly 600 rounds through it in the last month with no issues. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester White box Facts

I usethe WWB ammo in my XD for range practic and have put nearly 600 rounds through it in the last month with no issues.

Never have had an issue with it yet. I clean my weapon after each trip to the range and I don't find the ammo to be all that dirty either.
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo51 View Post
    ...I went to Walmart (Columbus, Ohio) and the sales person suggested Blazer Brass as an alternative...
    Interesting. I had the same thing happen to me yesterday at the local Walmart. Same suggestion, same logic. Since I've had good luck with the WWB in .40, I opted to stay with what I had on the counter.

Didn't realize that.

Are the primers crimped on the WWB .223? I think they are on the lake city stuff. I want to reload some one day, so if anyone knows I'd like to get the skinny on that.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo51 View Post
    I have shot WWB since I purchased my Ruger SR9. Never had a problem. I went to Walmart (Columbus, Ohio) and the sales person suggested Blazer Brass as an alternative. It is USA made, 115 Grain FMJ, 9mm Luger spec'd. It was less expensive and after shooting a couple boxes didn't notice much difference in accuracy or performance. It might be worth considering for target work.
    Gizmo51
    See my other post.
    For the last couple months Blazer Brass is the cheapest 9mm that WalMart sells.
    I've shot about 300 rounds through Kahr PM9 and XS SC, no probs and no dirtier than WWB.
    Actually, if the Blazer alloy case stuff was cheaper, I'd shoot it; couple hundred rounds of those in 9 mm and 50 or so in .357 in Ruger, no probs. (although reloaders can't use them).

- OS

Manufacturer warnings on WWB?

At a recent concealed carry class, the instructor said that "every major manufacturer" has come out with avisories against using WWB-- from WalMart specifically. Her story was that the rounds were second grade that had to be shipped out of the US and imported back in to get around quality control, and that the ammo was likely to have squib rounds.

Anyone aware of this? I wasn't able to find anything using Google which leads me to believe this may be a scare tactic to get new gun buyers and other novices to buy more expensive gun shop ammo...

I googled bans and avisories related to WWB ammo since reading your post. The only thing close I found was a range that had banned it for "safety" reasons. The range did sell other ammo that was priced much higher.
    I would think an avisory such as this would be found alot with a google search.

Michael

Ok, I'll stop shooting that brand from here on out!

Thanks for the heads up!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I have shot thousands of rounds of Winchester white box and have yet to have any problems or misfires yet I have had hot loads with one of the other major brands.

I've had one FTF with .45 ACP WWB, but otherwise, flawless performance. The only cheaper alternative I've found locally is a guy that was selling reloads for $20 for 70 rounds. If my math skills aren't completely retarded, I think that comes out to about a difference of 4-5 cents/round. Although the reloads performed well, I think I may stick to the reliability of factory ammo.
    HK45c V1

Quote Originally Posted by jwgjr View Post
    At a recent concealed carry class, the instructor said that "every major manufacturer" has come out with avisories against using WWB-- from WalMart specifically. Her story was that the rounds were second grade that had to be shipped out of the US and imported back in to get around quality control, and that the ammo was likely to have squib rounds. ...
    What incredible horse pucky.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    What incredible horse pucky.

- OS
    What OhShoot said
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Quote Originally Posted by ncffp163 View Post
    What OhShoot said
    +1. Shot loads of the "Wal-Mart White Box" with no issues whatsoever. In fact I think that it is the only ammo that I have shot regularly that has had no feed or fire failures...and it's cheap!
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Shot thousands of rounds of it through everything I own. It's the cheapest around. Dirty as all get out - but you should be cleaning regularly anyways.

PiperLambie, your avatar scared the .... out of me, until I looked closer :-D
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I use WWB soley in my carry. Hardball for practice and JHP for SD. They both shoot almost exactly alike. I dont care if its dirty, but, it needs to be dependable and it is.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by jwgjr View Post
    At a recent concealed carry class, the instructor said that "every major manufacturer" has come out with avisories against using WWB-- from WalMart specifically. Her story was that the rounds were second grade that had to be shipped out of the US and imported back in to get around quality control, and that the ammo was likely to have squib rounds.

Anyone aware of this? I wasn't able to find anything using Google which leads me to believe this may be a scare tactic to get new gun buyers and other novices to buy more expensive gun shop ammo...
    No, and I've never had a failure. Seems like if they had to ship it out and back it wouldn't be cheaper any more. I'm calling BS on that one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links