Winchester White box Facts

This is a discussion on Winchester White box Facts within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this article while doing some ammunition research and had no idea of the following ; This has been making American shooters nuts for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester White box Facts

Winchester White box Facts

I found this article while doing some ammunition research and had no idea of the following;

This has been making American shooters nuts for a number of years now… particularly in the immediate aftermath of 11 September 2001 when there was a major run on 5.56mm ammunition. Winchester's "generic" or "budget" USA, or "white box," brand of ammunition actually has two different 55-grain FMJ rounds, and one has to look closely at the "small print" to discern the difference.

For openers, in addition to the ATK-operated Lake City plant2, Winchester is also a primary supplier of M193 to the U.S. military. That particular X223R1 round is commercially available in the white USA box product encoded "Q3131." What few realize is that Israeli Military Industries (IMI), the sole supplier of ammo to the Israeli Defense Force (IDF), also supplies their M193 as a subcontractor for Winchester; that round is often made available in the USA white boxes marked "Q3131A." By most reports, qualitatively, it is the same round and performs virtually the same as the home-grown variant.

The Gun Zone

2. Remove Ads

Same goes for 9mm, the stuff we get (Army) is the same as WWB. It even comes in the white box.

i use WWB 9mm all the time for target practice. dirty as heck, but never had a problem
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Senior Moderator
    I shoot thousands of rounds a year of WWB 9mm and have few, if any at all, problems due to ammo quality.

Brownie, I don't think he'd mind me sharing this, between himself and his students, shoot tens of thousands of WWB a year and is completely satisfied with the quality.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Never had a problem with WWB.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

In handguns, I have not had any significant problems other than variation in muzzel velocity and dirt. However, I have had significant issues with different lots of WW white box in my Olyarms 9mm AR (blowback action). I have pulled bullets and weighted powders from different lots - there is a visual and wt difference. All other 9mm brands tested work the OLY but I have issues with different lots of WW. Some work fine but dirty - some do not function well enought to eject the spent case - but with all WW I get more particle blowback in my face (left hand rifle shooter) than any other brand.
    I am setting up a DOE to document my finding. I like the cheap price but the FTE's and dirt offset the savings.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I've always shot the winchester white box ammo from walmart in my Glock 21 45acp or Ruger P90, never had one problem after thousands of rounds and it is by far the lowest priced target ammo in 45 auto. No one else has really ever come close in price I've seen for target ammo.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Senior Moderator
    Me too, but right now Dick's beats Walmart by $2 per 100 with Remington UMC 9mm; don't know about 45ACP.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Lightbulb

I have shot WWB since I purchased my Ruger SR9. Never had a problem. I went to Walmart (Columbus, Ohio) and the sales person suggested Blazer Brass as an alternative. It is USA made, 115 Grain FMJ, 9mm Luger spec'd. It was less expensive and after shooting a couple boxes didn't notice much difference in accuracy or performance. It might be worth considering for target work.
    Gizmo51

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Me too, but right now Dick's beats Walmart by $2 per 100 with Remington UMC 9mm; don't know about 45ACP.
    Better recheck that...UMC 50/pacs was same price at Wally's and Dick's here (Knoxville) last week, but you had to buy a case at Dick's. Wally's UMC 250 pack was slightly cheaper than either. But the very cheapest of all was Blazer Brass, about a penny per cartridge cheaper than all the above.

- OS

Agreed...I too shoot thousands of rounds of WW in 9MM as well as .45 and .22 too.
    They make a quality ammo, and for me it's far less dirty than Remington UMC (green box).

WWB is so good and reliable I have a box of their defensive JHP too .45 and keep that loaded in mags specifically for HD.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I quit using UMC back when it still came in yellow boxes, I was getting way too many problems with it: under length cartridges and bullet setback mostly plus, it was incredibly dirty (at least back then). I use WWB or Am. Eagle for range work now and haven't had any problems since I made the switch.
    Jack

Agreed regarding 'yellowbox'.
    That garbage was junk and dirtier than Redd Foxx.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    junk and dirtier than Redd Foxx.

- Janq
    That's pretty dirty.

I've had no issues with WWB ammo of any sort. Thousands of rounds through my guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links