Is .357 Sig Defendable in Court For Self Defense?

This is a discussion on Is .357 Sig Defendable in Court For Self Defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pete Zaria I don't worry about my choice of ammunition being used against me in court. My state (WA) has pretty solid ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is .357 Sig Defendable in Court For Self Defense?

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I don't worry about my choice of ammunition being used against me in court.

My state (WA) has pretty solid self defense laws. I hope I never have to shoot anyone, but if I do, you can bet it will be a pretty clear-cut case of self defense.

If the only thing the prosecutor has to use against me is my choice of ammo, then he doesn't have much of a case.
    If my lawyer can't defend my choice of ammo, what the heck am I paying him for?

That Harold guy that got screwed by a liberal prosecutor for using a 10mm, was a once-in-a-million case as far as I'm concerned.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

PS: Pete likes his 200 grain Hornaday .45 ACP +P loads
    My thoughts exactly.

In Florida only few cases of SD goes to a jury ...

Now, if this is something you don't feel comfortable with, by all means go back to the stock barrel; training, tactical and accuracy is way more important than caliber.

I carry a 9mm but I have a Ruger Blackhawk 8" in .44 mag on my night stand.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post

That Harold guy that got screwed by a liberal prosecutor for using a 10mm, was a once-in-a-million case as far as I'm concerned.
    Thing to remember is the courts work on something called "Precedence". Rather than think for themselves sometimes they just go with whats been done before. (Think Sheep)

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Thing to remember is the courts work on something called "Precedence". Rather than think for themselves sometimes they just go with whats been done before. (Think Sheep)
    Precedent is only binding if set by an appellate court (Appeallate or Supreme Court of the State or United States) and is only binding within that court's jurisdiction.

A precedent in NJ is nothing more than a nice argument that a CT court may look at and say "That's nice...but we have our own rulings to follow..."

Don't get all hung up on caselaw.

I'm a person who has not purchased an AR-15 (or AK-47) and also has not purchased a pistol grip shot gun because of possible legal issues.

There are those on this forum who would like to smack me for the thought alone.

However, I own a Glock 31 .357 Sig. It is 1 of 4 firearms (the Glock, 30.06, Shotgun 12, .38 Spl + P S&W). The wife owns a P99C 9mm.

I own so few firearms (2 of them hunting related) that I'm not not concerned what gun I use to defend myself, as long as I have it. I know that if I do shoot someone, in a car jacking, or even at home en in Home SD, there will be a very good chance I will have legal costs.

The only issue with the Sig is penetration. I think it can e a good thing in a gun fight, but there is an argument to be made.

So IMHO, the only problem with a .357 Sig is that if you do use it in a justified SD situation, and a stray bulled goes into your neighbors house and hits someone. HOWEVER, I think you could run into this problem with any caliber beyond 9mm and .38 Spl.

The 9mm and .38 Spl. are considered by some to be magic safe calibers, and the only reasonable round for normal people.

So you can go into just to many directions worrying about calibers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I carry a .357 Sig in a Glock 32. It was made for that round. I believe the problem lies when you "modify" a gun to carry a different, and most likely, a more deadly cartridge. We all know it's hooey, but try to make a jury believe that. I've got a 9mm conversion barrel for my .357 Sig. I can shoot for half the price, with the same gun. If I were to use that in self-defense, there would be NO issue, I've downsized. Now do the reverse with a Glock 23 and slap a .357 Sig barrel in there (it will fit perfectly, and even the mags are compatible), and you've just created a monster. You DELIBERATELY made a perfectly acceptible .40 Caliber gun, used by many police forces, into a MAGNUM KILLING MACHINE. I know it's dumb, but it will cost you a fortune in legal fees to beat it. Why not just go to the .357 Sig to begin with? There will be no argument. You can practice with a .40 or 9mm barrel all you want, but still carry the kick-butt round it was made for?
    AZ Husker, I understand what your saying. I should have bought the P229 in .357 Sig and bought .40 barrel (downsizing in caliber). Let me play the devils advocate, some might disagree that a .40 would be downsizing or calling it a modification, especially if the barrel is the only difference and made by the same manufacturer??? Thanks again for everyone's input.

Jones
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

DRT
    Since .357 sig has similar terminal ballistics performance to a better 9mm round, I'd say NO. My department was going to issue .357 sig but later decided on .40 after reviewing terminal ballistics data showing that it was superior to our previous 9mm 124gr +P gold dot and .357 sig 125gr gold dot. I'd put the .40 barrel back in it and load it with either Federal HST (not hydrashok) or Winchester Ranger T-series.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    First off, I wouldn't carry a SD gun with a conversion barrel and second, self defense is self defense. It doesn't matter what you defend yourself with as long as you are correct in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    Since .357 sig has similar terminal ballistics performance to a better 9mm round, I'd say NO. My department was going to issue .357 sig but later decided on .40 after reviewing terminal ballistics data showing that it was superior to our previous 9mm 124gr +P gold dot and .357 sig 125gr gold dot. I'd put the .40 barrel back in it and load it with either Federal HST (not hydrashok) or Winchester Ranger T-series.
    DRT, thats what I've done. The 40 barrel stays in 99% of the time and with HST 155gr/165gr HP. Also have Speer GD's! (can't lose with either). Thanks!
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links