Is .357 Sig Defendable in Court For Self Defense?

This is a discussion on Is .357 Sig Defendable in Court For Self Defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even if its shot in Self Defense with a gun with a conversion barrel? It came stock with a Sig manufactured .40 caliber barrel. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is .357 Sig Defendable in Court For Self Defense?

Even if its shot in Self Defense with a gun with a conversion barrel? It came stock with a Sig manufactured .40 caliber barrel. I would hate to be accused of going overboard on a caliber issue in court. In case your wondering, No I have not shot anyone. All are welcome to chime in.

Thanks!
    Jones
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Why wouldn't it be? It's a round often used by Law Enforcement and certainly isn't any monster round like the .454 Casuall.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    You know....juries are made up of people.........people are different...one can never tell anymore. First thing is you must survive and then worry about the jury.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Why wouldn't it be? It's a round often used by Law Enforcement and certainly isn't any monster round like the .454 Casuall.
    Agreed...or the 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    You know....juries are made up of people.........people are different...one can never tell anymore. First thing is you must survive and then worry about the jury.....
    Words of wisdom.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm sure your asking this because of that case in Arizona. The .357 Sig is a common law enforcement caliber. If I were you, I would compile a list of agencies where it is standard issue. The longer the list, the better. It would also help to have an attorney somewhat familiar with ballistics that could explain to a jury that the .357 sig fires a 9mm bullet, which is something juries can relate to.
    Had the poor guy in Az had a better lawyer, I think he'd have been found not guilty.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I just think its interesting to say that 10mm wouldn't be a good carry caliber. The 10mm, if I remember correctly, was specifically designed for use by the FBI. Yes its a powerful round, but Im sure that LE somewere in the US still use it. I know that I've heard that 357sig has caught on with some highway patrol for its high velocity when dealing with auto panels and glass. I think that like others have said, as long as your not carrying a hand cannon you should be alright.

If .357sig is safe for Air Marshalls to use in airplanes it should be safe for self defence.

VIP Member
    The US Secret Service and the Federal Air Marshalls use it. It is a common enough round that any even remotely competent attorney could remove it as a point of contention.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I don't worry about my choice of ammunition being used against me in court.

My state (WA) has pretty solid self defense laws. I hope I never have to shoot anyone, but if I do, you can bet it will be a pretty clear-cut case of self defense.

If the only thing the prosecutor has to use against me is my choice of ammo, then he doesn't have much of a case.
    If my lawyer can't defend my choice of ammo, what the heck am I paying him for?

That Harold guy that got screwed by a liberal prosecutor for using a 10mm, was a once-in-a-million case as far as I'm concerned.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

PS: Pete likes his 200 grain Hornaday .45 ACP +P loads
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Points taken Pete. Thanks all!
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

what difference does it make what you use to protect yourself. Many use a shotgun. that would do more damage than most handguns up close. If I want to use a 44 magnum with 300gr HP in it and only have to fire once that should be my right.
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

WHAT???

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I can't blast someone with a .454??? Seriously, could someone provide me with a link to the Phoenix story you guys are refering to? Thanks a lot
    Evil triumphs when good men do nothing! Edmond Burke
    Where the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Where the government fears the people, there is liberty! Benjamin Franklin

THIS IS THE PRIMARY REASON WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    After attending LFI in AZ I've decided to switch to the 357Sig for carry. Mas Ayoob discussed the Fisch case in detail and you are correct he was incompentantly defended. He was also his own worst enemy and couldn't shut his mouth. His attorney made enough mistakes that he will probably be granted an appeal.
    If you get a chance you should get into an LFI class. It is 35% shooting 65% classroom. (expect 9-12 hour sessions)

I carry a .357 Sig in a Glock 32. It was made for that round. I believe the problem lies when you "modify" a gun to carry a different, and most likely, a more deadly cartridge. We all know it's hooey, but try to make a jury believe that. I've got a 9mm conversion barrel for my .357 Sig. I can shoot for half the price, with the same gun. If I were to use that in self-defense, there would be NO issue, I've downsized. Now do the reverse with a Glock 23 and slap a .357 Sig barrel in there (it will fit perfectly, and even the mags are compatible), and you've just created a monster. You DELIBERATELY made a perfectly acceptible .40 Caliber gun, used by many police forces, into a MAGNUM KILLING MACHINE. I know it's dumb, but it will cost you a fortune in legal fees to beat it. Why not just go to the .357 Sig to begin with? There will be no argument. You can practice with a .40 or 9mm barrel all you want, but still carry the kick-butt round it was made for?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Personally I don't worry about it too much. For every argument the prosecutor might make against you, your defense attorney has a counter argument.

Prosecutor: He intentionally modified his gun to accept a more deadly caliber!

Defense: He was so concerned about having to fire extra shots, and the more you fire the more likely you are to miss, that he took the extra precaution of making his weapon more effective!

Etc.

Etc.

The pendulum swings both ways.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links