Prime Rib HST test

This is a discussion on Prime Rib HST test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you wanted to waste some good meat I would suggest some pork ribs. Why? I think one of the best reasons to use ballistic ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prime Rib HST test

If you wanted to waste some good meat I would suggest some pork ribs.

Why?

I think one of the best reasons to use ballistic gel is that its transparent. You can see the wound channel without having to pour in another material in it to make a cast.

I always thought it would be a good idea to take some pork ribs and put them in the ballistic gel a 1/4 inch or inch from the front the block of gel when your making it. This would give you some meat and bone to go through and give you a better idea of how your bullet is going to react when hitting someone COM.

Just an idea since we are talking about shooting meat.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

2. Remove Ads

I shot a dead cow once after my grandpa said he had a dead cow and the rendering truck was coming for it,after the smell hit the farmhouse my dad removed my 22 from my posession for a month
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No self respecting, red meat eating man would disgrace himself by defiling such a beautiful cut of meat as a standing rib roast. Your wife just saved your membership in the man club buddy!

Seriously now, with the economy in the proverbial crapper and nobody really sure what'll come of the Wall Street bail-out (or how it'll affect us lowly citizens), I'd suggest either waiting on the meat penetration testing or maybe finding somewhere to do your testing on rodents: Groundhogs or something like that. Save the groceries for the possible lean times ahead.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Road killed deer.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    It occurred to be it would make a great test for an HST. As I could shoot a round into the meat 14 inches and then one or two through the rib side 9 inches.
    Good Grief, what mutant cow does you meat come from? I told my butcher I wanted around 5 pounds bone in. He cut me a deal at $9.99 a pound, and it turns out the roast went about a pound an inch. My 5 1/2 pound roast was barely longer than it was wide. Do you buy the whole loin?

Myth Buster!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I pulled a prime rib out of the freezer to put in the fridge for Sunday dinner. It occurred to be it would make a great test for an HST. As I could shoot a round into the meat 14 inches and then one or two through the rib side 9 inches. To see tissue damage and to see what happens when an HST hits bone. Not going to hurt the meat except maybe some rib splinters. My wife went through the roof. She is not a big prime rib fan to start with and hates that I go to the butcher to buy ours. Basically thinks we spend too much on it to be shooting it. Anyway, that got nixed but she suggested I try it on a cheap roast so any ideas what kind of roast would make a good test?
    Myth Buster!!!! Good Luck Sir!!!

I agree it's hunting season and that's how I test all my SD rounds!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Since you live in Washington, a word of warning. Do not shoot roadkill, it would open you up to being arrested for poaching. You can go get a small game license, shoot a racoon and use it for testing. Washington law prohibits picking up of road kill without first getting permission, and then only for disposal of carcass.

Four days later I have finally calmed down enough to answer but can't. Taking Prime Rob out to test bullets. Have we sunk that low or are we that paranoid.

The last time I contacted the forest service to come out and trap problem Racoons, they told me that it was no longer feasable to trap Racoons because there are too many and not enough people to send out to each place. They said to just shoot them. This is why I suggested that you get a small game license to hunt them. In Washington,especially around the suberbs and residential area, we are being overpopulated by Racoons and opposums. This is a good chance to test your ammo. Small game has no limit on caliber or length of barrel on your firearm.

Could use the excuse that you were tenderizing it.....enough talk already...somebody shoot some beef and post the pics!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links