Remington .357 magnum ammo questions

This is a discussion on Remington .357 magnum ammo questions within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what the differances are between the remington 125gr. golden sabers,and the 125gr. sjhp that walmart sells in the 100rd packs? Are the ...

I was wondering what the differances are between the remington 125gr. golden sabers,and the 125gr. sjhp that walmart sells in the 100rd packs? Are the 125gr. sjhp's a full power lo ad vs. the GS midrange load?

My gun is a ruger sp101 snub nose are these guns sighted in for 145-158gr. ammo? If so is it better to use bullets in these weights instead of the above mentioned loads? Will the 125gr. loads shoot POA in the snub nose guns? thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I was wondering what the differances are between the remington 125gr. golden sabers,and the 125gr. sjhp that walmart sells in the 100rd packs? Are the 125gr. sjhp's a full power lo ad vs. the GS midrange load?

My gun is a ruger sp101 snub nose are these guns sighted in for 145-158gr. ammo? If so is it better to use bullets in these weights instead of the above mentioned loads? Will the 125gr. loads shoot POA in the snub nose guns? thanks for any help.
    I have SP101 snubbie and do indeed keep GS 125 gr .357 in it.
    Carry it some, shoot it at least once a month.

Golden Sabers have more precise manufacturing and quality control. I don't know if they have hotter load or not (they probably do) but unlike the Winchester White Box or Remington UMC, they will have the SAME powder load cartridge to cartridge, more precise. The casing crimp, bullet dynamics and expansion, primers, powder burn, everything, is simply better, manufactured to tighter specs. Also, the GS are much "cleaner" firing than the cheaper loads, better powder. You should be able to see the difference yourself. Next time you are at range (especially noticeable in an indoor, more dimly lit range) put a couple of cheapos and a couple of GS's in chamber. Instead of watching target, watch end of your gun. The cheapos will be smokier, and have a larger flash.

I mainly carry 9mm pistols (with 3" barrels), and use Golden Saber +p in them. The difference between overall noise/smoke/flash between GS and WWB is dramatic (the GS has less of all these, and in 9mm, even the recoil seems less, if that is possible; possibly due to more complete powder burning even in short barrels).

The GS will also have a higher velocity than their cheaper brethren.

Also, finally, where I live, the cops carry Golden Saber. A minor matter, but couldn't hurt my case if I ever undergo the second worst thing that could happen.

I just ordered 4 boxes of GS 9mm +p from CheaperThanDirt today. For some reason, they have them much cheaper than I can get locally, and even much cheaper than other places, like MidwayUSA. At least once a month, I'll shoot a box of 9mm at the end of a range session after firing however many WWB/UMC/whatever, just so the sensation of that round "sticks".

Oh, and I don't know exactly why, but I've read over and over that 125 gr. in a quality .357 is the "sweet spot" between velocity and bullet weight.

There are lots of other carry loads touted, Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Hornady, etc, but the GS seem more than adequate for the task and I've been pleased with their performance and with the ballistic tests I've seen.

- OS

Quality control and the R&D put into the bullet matter more than mere speed.

Speed is a factor in effectiveness, not a direct 1:1 correlation to effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    ....Will the 125gr. loads shoot POA in the snub nose guns?
    I didn't address that, but IMHO, at likely defensive range of the "21 foot standard" fired at center of mass, any .357 made should certainly be POA enough. Although you shouldn't be thinking of using your actual gunsights in that case anyway.

- OS

Although you shouldn't be thinking of using your actual gunsights in that case anyway.
    I'm not trying to pick a fight, or start an argument with you, but I have to disagree with you on this.

Your gun has sights on them for a reason, use them if you can. Of three armed encounters in over twenty years of packing a gun I have seen my Front Sight twice. The one time I didn't was because it was up close and personal and I was busy deflecting a blade while drawing my BUG.

Off Duty I prefer to carry my 3" GP100 and 2 1/4" SP101, as well as a J-Frame and I use either the Remington 125 Grain SJHP or another manufacturer's 125 Grain "full house" load. From what I've learned, the 125 Grain SJHP from WalMart is the load that Remington produced in the 1970's that gave the .357 Magnum it's reputation. Why change something that isn't broke?

The Golden Saber is a "mid-range" load. Will it do better than the 125 Grain SJHP? I doubt it, but I was wrong once before, and I'm sure I will be again at some point in the future.

Technology has improved in regards to bullets, but I like something that is "proven" and the Remington SJHP's are that, plus, it's inexspensive at WalMart.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I'm not trying to pick a fight, or start an argument with you, but I have to disagree with you on this.

Your gun has sights on them for a reason, use them if you can....
    Oh, no worries, no fight of course!

Obviously, you have more real world experience than me...

I'm just assuming that I WON'T have time to "use them"; hence most of the modern defensive trainers emphasizing point shooting rather than sighted shooting.

I do know that 3 times in my admittedly always civilian life I've had to "show" a gun; and in retrospect, had any of the three turned hot, I rather doubt I'd have had time or presence of mind to see a sight, and if I had, my odds would probably have been reduced.

But certainly, "use them if you can", makes sense to moi.

And about the ammo...

As a matter of fact, the Express 125gr .357 has higher velocity and AND energy than the Golden Saber. And the smokey ole UMC does also. The GS claim to fame has more to do with core/jacket/friction/expansion/whatever tweaking, seemingly borne out in gelatin tests where I see it ranked.

But I also totally agree that the SJHP would be more than adequate, and as you hint, borne out in human tests!

Thanks for the input,

- OS

Main difference between the Golden Saber and the SJHP from Remington is the Golden Saber uses a brass jacketed slug and the sjhp is it uses a copper jacket.

Links