Clean practice ammo for .38 Airweight

This is a discussion on Clean practice ammo for .38 Airweight within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would you recommend for clean, practice ammo with a Model 642? Before I recently bought mine I tried 148 gr Wadcutters. I'd prefer something ...

Thread: Clean practice ammo for .38 Airweight

Clean practice ammo for .38 Airweight

What would you recommend for clean, practice ammo with a Model 642? Before I recently bought mine I tried 148 gr Wadcutters. I'd prefer something that's clean and will also allow me to develop some shooting accuracy with a snub; I'm not experienced with revolvers at all and I think I may want to make this my EDC. I will buy some Federal HydraShok to test as a defense load but want something I can practice shoot with that's clean but will give a similar feel to the JHP defense load if that's possible. Thank you.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bameroni View Post
    What would you recommend for clean, practice ammo with a Model 642? Before I recently bought mine I tried 148 gr Wadcutters. I'd prefer something that's clean and will also allow me to develop some shooting accuracy with a snub; I'm not experienced with revolvers at all and I think I may want to make this my EDC. I will buy some Federal HydraShok to test as a defense load but want something I can practice shoot with that's clean but will give a similar feel to the JHP defense load if that's possible. Thank you.
    I use a lot of winchester white box for practice in my 38's and 357's. I do not think you can go wrong with the price and performance.

Ammo

Try some of the 130gr or 132gr FMJ available from many manufacturers. It's pretty mild so it's easy to shoot in your airweight, and the FMJ wont lead up your barrel.

FYI, Ammo to go has 110gr, 130gr, and 132gr FMJ cheap:
    FMJ Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    They also have the hard to find 110gr non +p Silvertip and non +p Remington 110gr JHP in stock:
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    Both are cheaper than the 110gr Non +p Hydra Shok, but they have it, too:
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    Actually, they have good +P stuff, too. For the guns I don't use +p in, I bought the Hydra Shok because the Silvertip and JHP were always backordered.

Thanks very much! Ammo looks great here and prices are much, much better than I have been paying at the range where I shoot.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

Quote Originally Posted by bameroni View Post
    What would you recommend for clean, practice ammo with a Model 642?...
    I've had a hard time keeping this gun as clean as I keep other guns. The frame appears to attract more residue. Given the alum. frame, I don't want to scrub it as hard as I might my Glock. I find myself letting it soak a bit as I walk away.

Most could barely tell what I'm talking about, and I've learned to just accept I can only get the gun 95% clean or so ATM.

I use .38 SPL 130 GR. FMJ for practice. I'm not sure how clean the round is, but it is a matter of $.

I use 38 SPL+P 125 GR Gold GDHP for carry. At the end of range time I tend to shoot 1-5 off. Going to be changing to the 38 SPL+P 135 GR Gold GDHP for carry.

MGD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    I use a lot of winchester white box for practice in my 38's and 357's. I do not think you can go wrong with the price and performance.
    +1, if i remember correctly, walmart sells a 100 pack of WWB for $29-30

As for self defense ammo, only experience shooting .38 JHP ammo is with Hydra Shoks in +P+, and the recoil was much lighter than i expected

I haven't found a "clean" "cheap" round.

The cheapest I've found in last year are WWB, UMC, Blazer (both alloy and brass), PMC ...

certainly NONE of those are very clean, and all have significant flash and smoke compared to say Remington Golden Saber, my PD round of choice.

But hey...I don't mind cleaning my pistols, eh?

- OS

Try the Ammoman. Early on, I bought 1000 rounds of the American Eagle 130 FMJ for practice. Nice and mild and clean. I still use it for .38 practice. It has gone up since I bought it, but it's still a good deal for factory name brand ammo.

AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors

Also: Check out Mastercast. Lots of .38 ammo types to choose from. Some are cast and some are jacketed. I don't like to clean my gun, so I use jacketed exclusively. I use the .357 125 gr. hollow point jacketed to replicate my .357 DPX carry ammo. Once you build up enough brass for rotation, it's really, really cheap. When my American Eagle runs out, I'll get some .38 stuff for low recoil practice.

amo

Mastercast

I would also recommend Mastercast.
    Already tried +P 38spl in hollow-point and 357 Magnum FMJ.
    They were both cleaner than either the cheap Winchester or Remington.
    I'll shoot their semiwadcutters next time so I don't know yet.

Links