WWB .357 magnum 110gr. personal protection ammo?

This is a discussion on WWB .357 magnum 110gr. personal protection ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone here has any experiance with ammo, or know where theres any performance data on it ? I'm referring to winchesters ...

Thread: WWB .357 magnum 110gr. personal protection ammo?

WWB .357 magnum 110gr. personal protection ammo?

I was wondering if anyone here has any experiance with ammo, or know where theres any performance data on it ? I'm referring to winchesters white box "personal protection" ammo thats sold at walmart thanks for any help.

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Search engines are your friends.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I shot some in .45 out of my CX4 Storm and it was OK
    they all went Bang, but if I remember right they were
    just so-so on group size
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here has any experiance with ammo, or know where theres any performance data on it ? I'm referring to winchesters white box "personal protection" ammo thats sold at walmart thanks for any help.
    If you research some, I think you'll find that various 125 gr loads are generally considered the "sweet spot" for .357.

- OS

I like it a lot. This Winchester 110gr ammo (Q4204) is the one I keep for self defense. There is a warning though that it is not recommended for very light revolvers beause of the possibility of jacket separation, I read.
    But I shoot a medium frame so it's great. It's also a medium-power Magnum load which is great for controllability. I do shoot full power Magnums too, for skill building at the range but would not use those for self defense because I'm concerned about too much penetration. However, your mileage may vary, as they say.

I'm an oddball but I think that the 110gr loading is the best home defense / short range defensive load for the .357 Magnum.
    Heavier loads (125gr, 158gr) will carry more energy downrange, but up close and personal, the velocity of that 110gr almost guarantees expansion and efficient energy transfer.

I can't speak for that particular load, though. If you can put it on a chrono, that should give you some good info - my handloads were getting up around 1,700fps from a 6" barrel using just under 10gr of Unique. If those are getting near that velocity, I'd say they're good to go.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

What are you using them in?

Ammo

It's bargain ammo so odds are it probably does not have flash-suppressed powder or waterproofing on the neck or primer. It will probably serve you fine if you're on a budget and it's great for stockpiling for the next hurricane, earthquake, or other SHTF scenario. Try it in your gun to make sure you can live with the flash. I also prefer the 125gr JHPs, but they can be hard on the medium and small size .357s, I have a bit of flame cutting on my K frames from a lot of it. The .357 has plenty of energy for SD, about the only bargain loads I would avoid for SD are the JSP loads usually in 158gr weights. They just don't expand from normal handgun barrels.

Bigbren I'd be using them in a ruger sp101 2 1/2inch barrel. And superhouse the fact its not waterproofed on the neck and primer,could this be an issue if the revolver is carried IWB here in Florida where its humid and I may sweat on the gun and possibly the ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Bigbren I'd be using them in a ruger sp101 2 1/2inch barrel. And superhouse the fact its not waterproofed on the neck and primer,could this be an issue if the revolver is carried IWB here in Florida where its humid and I may sweat on the gun and possibly the ammo?

Just take some fingernail polish and swipe it around the brass/bullet and wipe it off. Do the same for the primer. Let it dry and you are now waterproof.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Ammo

Actually, it probably doesn't matter if it's waterproofed or not. I did some tests a while ago and ended up submerging all kinds of ammo, premium and cheap, for a month or so in water, WD40, and Hoppes #9 and the majority of the centerfire stuff fired fine. Even some rimfire still fired. I still use a little clear nail polish on ammo without sealant if I'm going to stockpile it, you never know. Too much clear, or any of the dark colored kind leaves a residue, so don't steal it from your ol' lady. I think the waterproofing is just another step (an added cost) in producing ammo. Just shows it's not premium loads.

I had a couple boxes of the white box winchester 110 grain 357 JHP.
    I had a couple rounds in each box that did not go bang. I might have just had some bad luck. But, It turned me off of them. Presently I am using the speer GD 135 SB stuff. I will be moving over to the Buffalo Bore tactical lites for home defense. For full power stuff I have Black Hill's 125 grain 357 magnum's.
    Try your ammo out before you commit to carrying it and buying it in mass.

John!

I'm one of those guys who plays the numbers. Why go with a lighter bullet when the 125 gr. JHPs fired from the .357 mag. have such a proven record? I guess if you shot this old fart with one he'd go to the ground in a flash. However, if your assailent is well over 6' in height and well over 200# in weight and stoked with his favorite illicit drug then hey, you may end up rethink'n your choice.

Out of several that I tried, I've decided that's the one I'm sticking with for SD.

Links