New NAA

This is a discussion on New NAA within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK just got my new mimi mag. What ammo do you guys think I should carry in it? The pawn shop that my son work's ...

Thread: New NAA

New NAA

OK just got my new mimi mag.
    What ammo do you guys think I should carry in it? The pawn shop that my son work's in had .22 mag solid points.
    So thats what I have in it for now.
    Tell me what you think .

2. Remove Ads

I load my .22LR Mini with Federal premium ammunition -- it goes for three dollars and change per box of 50, rather than the cheaper stuff you can get for under a dollar. I figure I want the best .22 ammo I can get if that's all I'm shooting.

Administrator

Thumbs up Congrats On Your New NAA

Carry It In Good Health.
    Phil already has it covered.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

22lr for a mini-mag?

No, Phil doesn't have it covered. ;)

This is what Jim March at THR has to say on the subject:

Ammo: there are ONLY two loads I'd carry for personal defense - the CCI MaxiMag +V and the "TNT" flavor of that same round. Both use 30grain JHPs and get about 1,200fps from a Black Widow 2" barrel (1,400 from a MiniMaster 4"). The "TNT" uses a Sierra bullet with a bigger JHP. Basically, if you want more reliable expansion go TNT, if you want a deeper punch go with the original formula.
    I can't confirm it for myself since I don't currently own one, but it would be a starting point for me if I did.

Chris

Administrator

Clarification:

Phil said that he loaded his 22LR NAA Mini with Federal Premium .22LR...
    I was thinking more like FEDERAL Premium (Hyper Velocity) .22WMR for ron8903 & his .22 Mag...which is very high quality ammo with excellent quality control.
    Though not sure how fantastic it would be...ripping out of a barrel that is only about 1 1/8" in length.

I keep forgetting that folks sometimes are unable to read my mind. Sorry. I should have been more clear...my fault.

Assistant Administrator
    I have not as yet found any Maxi-Mag+V but am on lookout. I have both cylinders for my mini but only use the WMR cyl for BUG use.

Thus far mine has been stoked with the Std Maxi-Mag hollow points - 40 grain.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This much is true -- I don't load my .22LR mini with .22 magnum ammo. ;)

lol.

BTW, while we're on the subject...

How shootable are the 22lr models? My neighborhood shop has one on consignment for $99. At that price, I can afford to play. If it's there after Christmas, I may see if the guy will go down on price a bit.

Chris

The .22 LR mini-revolver is... well, the smallest repeating firearm you can buy, as far as I know. Its incredibly small size makes it the most discreet pistol on the market. The side-effect is that you really have to strangle the hell out of it with those little bird's head grips because it wants to leap up out of your hand on each shot. You'll be shooting at very close range in a self-defense situation, so I don't see this as a problem, but it demands practice. The first time I ever fired one I was shocked at just how much it moves in the hand when it goes off.

The upside is that even with my big fat hands, the gun sits there very naturally. I have no trouble cocking and firing it until it is empty, as long as I bear down on it to keep it from getting away from me.

Recently I installed a set of the holster-grips -- a big plastic thing that is like the grip of a folding knife. The gun folds up and out and locks into place. When closed, it sits completely inside the holster grips, which have a plastic clip attached. These afford a much, much bigger handle (it's bigger than the gun, after all). They aren't terribly ergonomic because of the shape dictated by the shape of the gun, but they're very easy to hold onto while firing the weapon. Installing them compromises the small size that is the gun's selling point, if you ask me, but the upside is you don't have to monkey around with pocket holsters or anything.

I have an NAA Guardian in .25 NAA that rides nicely in a leather pocket holster that has supplanted my mini as my pocket gun, simply because I am testing it for an article.

Lead Moderator
    I have smaller hands , and don't have a problem with the recoil of my .22 LR. It jumps a bit, but not too bad. I use Federal ammo for carry.

i dont think i could even shoot that thing Way to small for my hands i fear

Thank's for all of the info.
    I love this little handgun. My brother-in-law gave me two boxes of
    CCI maxi mags 40 Gr. hps ,that should get me by at the range.
    Hope you all have a grate x-mas.

Thumbs up Tracers

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903
    OK just got my new mimi mag.
    What ammo do you guys think I should carry in it? The pawn shop that my son work's in had .22 mag solid points.
    So thats what I have in it for now.
    Tell me what you think .
    I load my mini with TRACERS. I figure for it to be effective anyway, I'll have to use it at contact range, jam it into the perp's eyeball and then pull the trigger. If I'm too far away to reach that target, I want to get his attention. Thus the TRACER ammo.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links