127grn Ranger-T or 147grn HST, opinions?

This is a discussion on 127grn Ranger-T or 147grn HST, opinions? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I occasionally carry a Kahr PM9. Up until now I have always loaded it with 127grn RangerT +p+. Lately I have been wondering if a ...

I occasionally carry a Kahr PM9. Up until now I have always loaded it with 127grn RangerT +p+. Lately I have been wondering if a heavier bullet like the 147grn HST would be more effective. I have not seen any penetration tests comparing these two rounds from a short barrel pistol like the PM9 and was wondering if anybody had info on what would be a better penetrator the heavier HST or the faster Ranger T?

The 147gr. penetrates better. I give the edge to HST for expansion.

The street results of the 127 Grain +P+ has been very good over the years.

I do not believe the 147 Grain has as much documentation behind it for real world usage. If it were me I'd carry the 127 Grain +P+ and never look back, but then Momma didn't raise me to be a Beta tester.

If you like being a Beta tester go ahead and carry the 147 Grain load.

Just because something looks good on paper doesn't mean it will work as predicted in real life. I carry Federal 115 Grain +P+ if that tells you anything.

Biker

Selection of best ammunition for a defensive handgun

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Selecting the Duty Weapon--Is Caliber the Key?

These are some of the websites I use to help decide on ammunition. I read a lot about how people don't recommend 147gr in a 9mm so I have stayed away from them myself.
    "No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    One thing to keep in mind when asking for information on the Internet is to be sure to check the age of the data that is often referenced. You will often find links to ballistics reports/opinions that are 20 years out of date. Much improvement has been made in handgun ammunition over the years. Make sure you are reviewing data on current versions and not "ancient" versions.

I have read reports/opinions from years ago that claim the 9mm 147gr round should never be used as it is "unreliable". However I have put probably 400 rounds of Federal HST 147gr JHP's through my XD9sc without a problem of any kind. These rounds have proven reliable and accurate.

The best thing to do is find two or three makes that have good current reviews, buy a couple of boxes each and see which works best for you and your particular weapon. Guns tend to individual personalities. What works in mine may not work in yours even if we have the same make and model.

You have to test your weapon with your ammunition and carry what you are confident with.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    From what I have read, the 147gr is better for short barreled pistols. The new bullets in 147gr are much, much better designed. Most people that talk about not using 147gr are referencing studies based on much older bullet designs.

I have done a lot of reading and I am in the process of trying out some 147gr HST in my G26. Right now I am using 124 +P Gold Dot.

For a full size gun I would use a +P or the winchester 127g +P+.

I'm not sure if I saw it here or on glocktalk,but there some tests done on 9mm ammunition with all kinds of ammo and pictures all the way from plain white box up to the 147 hst.It showed where the 147 penetrated and expanded more than any other,the 127+p+ came in second,so I started carrying the 147 in my glock,of course I haven't actually had to use it in a defense situation,but the pictures I saw convinced me that was the way to go.I do think placement is the main key though.sj

There are alot more recent tests on Federal HST ammo.

Check Pistol Cartridges (9x19mm Luger)

Google HST as well, and check RECENT tests. It seems to perform quite well.

I'm a long-time believer in the heavier bullet theory. I carry 147gr HST in 9mm, and 230gr HST in .45ACP.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    I'm a long-time believer in the heavier bullet theory. I carry 147gr HST in 9mm, and 230gr HST in .45ACP.
    Yup, me too, but I was concerned about short barrel ballistics. Would the +p+ be a better penetrator out of a shorter barrel than the heavier but slower HST bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    I am with you dmooris68 after lots of studying and test I believe the heavier bullet is marginally better. I carry 147 Gr or 230 Gr

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiHerd View Post
    Yup, me too, but I was concerned about short barrel ballistics. Would the +p+ be a better penetrator out of a shorter barrel than the heavier but slower HST bullet.
    For a short barrel the non +P with a heavy bullet is better.

It has something to do with the bullet staying in the barrel slightly longer, velocity is more consistent, less muzzle flash etc......

I read an email from someone over at winchester explaining it. If I find it again, I will post it.

That would be great, thanks allot.

Links