Different ammo...

Different ammo...

This is a discussion on Different ammo... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if this has been brought up, but does anyone switch out ammo for various seasons, so to speak?? For example: Those in ...

Thread: Different ammo...

Different ammo...

I don't know if this has been brought up, but does anyone switch out ammo for various seasons, so to speak??

For example: Those in colder climates, do you go to a round that is designed for "thicker skin" to penetrate heavy Cardhart jackets?

I had a customer who would change his ammo with climate. Lighter rounds in hotter places to prevent over penetration, etc. In the winter, he went with Winchester Silver Tips because of their penetration power.

I am curious if any one had done tests or studies on such and if it was worth doing so.

I am simple: SXT's for out and about; Pow'r Ball for home defense. I have some nasty Buffalo Boar for the woods and some Triton "super" rounds for S&G's.

I hope I don't sound too out there; the thought just crossed my mind and I was curious more than any thing.

Cheers!!

Two types of ammo...the cheaper stuff I use for range use, and the Speer Gold Dot (and other higher quality ammo) for self-defense...that's it.
    Nothing for seasonal changes...errrrr, what's a seasonal change?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Interesting!
    the only thing I can think of is if you are shooting a low power gun and
    are trying to penetrate heavy jackets
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

retsup99

Yeah, what is seasonal here in FL?
    Hurricane, no Hurricane?? LOL.
    Though it is going to be in the low 50's tonight...
    Ooo and me w/o my muff. LOL.

No I agree: FMJ or SWC for cutting paper and a nice JHP or Frangible for defense.

I carry the same year 'round. Speer Gold Dots, or Remington Golden Sabers depending on caliber. I have several boxes of Corbons for all three of my pistol calibers, but quite frankly, I've only shot several out of each box. Not enough to boost my training with them IMO, I treat them like gold and just stare at the boxes and open them up once in a while. I don't get too involved in the hype or the simulation/reality tests for the different defensive ammos, although some of the reviews are quite interesting and eye-opening. In any defensive scenario, I won't be stopping my string of fire to assess with just one. Starts COM and goes to the top like a zipper so long as the BG's standing or holding a weapon. Here comes the hard part, and I imagine it will become an issue of discussion very soon in this thread.......caliber. I like my 9mm's, I like my 40S&W's, and I like my 45acp. In the winter months, my P220 is more easily concealed for me, and I so love to carry it whenever possible, but, I can carry twice as many rounds in my Glocks, and the smaller calibers move faster and seem to go farther. Catch 22? No...not really. I'll carry whatever I want or feel is right on any certain day with my ammo of choice, and rely solely on the stars or karma or a gut instinct. Should I actually worry about my caliber/ammo selection for any time of day or any time of year? Or what the statistics, gun writers, and reviews have to tell? Maybe. But the way I figure it, my small, feeble, aging mind doesn't really have room for more worries or what-if's or possibilities when it comes to my ammo ranking on 'the list'. I carry-it's loaded-I'm ready-that's all that matters to me. I've got that survival instinct and I don't carry with 'range' ammo.

Senior Moderator
    I don't know if this has been brought up, but does anyone switch out ammo for various seasons, so to speak??
    Sometimes.

When shooting the .50 BMG and I want a spectacular fireworks display when shooting half empty propane bottles, I will switch to an APIT.

Otherwise, it's just dull old FMJ.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ..errrrr, what's a seasonal change?
    In central Florida......Snowbird season and Tourist Season

I've been told by a couple of instructors that the heavier (grains) rounds should be used for the needed 'better' penatration in winter.......i.e.: heaiver clothing,etc., and lighter rounds when it's warmer.

I've put some thought into it when I resided up in the great Northwest, but ended up just staying with one round most of the time. it's a K.I.S.S. thing.

Besides, when I 'nuke' things out, I end up making misteaks.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

i always carry the same ammo, i know how it shoots, and i like knowing that when i pull the trigger it will go "bang" the same way, every time

that said, year round, 230gr HST +P .45 ACP is what i feed my darlin.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laeckcrov View Post
    i always carry the same ammo, i know how it shoots, and i like knowing that when i pull the trigger it will go "bang" the same way, every time
    I agree.

If you change ammo, make sure you practice with it so you know what it does.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I select one round for all seasons.

Biker

VIP Member
    One round all year.

Senior Moderator
    One round all year.
    Dude...you really need to shoot more than that...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Links