Difference in Wolf ammo?

This is a discussion on Difference in Wolf ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; is there a real difference in wolf ammo when it comes to 124grain FMJ 7.62x39mm Military Classic WOLF Performance Ammunition - WOLF Military Classic and ...

Thread: Difference in Wolf ammo?

Difference in Wolf ammo?

is there a real difference in wolf ammo when it comes to

124grain FMJ 7.62x39mm Military Classic
    WOLF Performance Ammunition - WOLF Military Classic

and

122grain FMJ 7.62x39mm Polyformance
    WOLF Performance Ammunition - WOLF Polyformance

and dont say the difference is 2 grains

they are priced the same
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

The military classic comes in a tactical camouflage box
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Yep, thats the only difference I can see too, other than 2 grains

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...and its 66 FPS faster giving it that military tactical edge.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...and its 66 FPS faster giving it that military tactical edge.
    Err, the polyformance is rated @ 2396fps, the military at 2330.. Just saying.

In the end the poly gives ~60 ft/lbs more muzzle energy. For the same price, it's your call, it's a 4% increase. I prefer heavier, slower rounds, but thats OMO
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

You all probably know this stuff, but I'd rather start from the beginning so I don't forget a step --
    Wolf started as a green lacquer coated round, then they got complaints about sticking in AR chambers so they went to the gray poly coating.
    Then, they couldn't get enough production for demand, but they could still get the "old" green ammo. To differentiate, they called it Military Classic. And it cost less than the black box Wolf.
    Then, the plant making the green ammo started shifting to gray..... the last time we opened black box and camo box ammo, they looked identical (that was maybe a week back, most recent shipment from Wolf). Cost went right up to the black box.

I am sure I've left some out because it's been a while since I heard all of the Wolf story, but the end result will probably be that everything will have the gray coating. No idea on the boxes though.
    Hope this helps. They both seem to shoot the same to me.

I find that when I shoot Wolf thru Glock 26 it smokes to much.

Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    You all probably know this stuff, but I'd rather start from the beginning so I don't forget a step --
    Wolf started as a green lacquer coated round, then they got complaints about sticking in AR chambers so they went to the gray poly coating.
    Then, they couldn't get enough production for demand, but they could still get the "old" green ammo. To differentiate, they called it Military Classic. And it cost less than the black box Wolf.
    Then, the plant making the green ammo started shifting to gray..... the last time we opened black box and camo box ammo, they looked identical (that was maybe a week back, most recent shipment from Wolf). Cost went right up to the black box.

I am sure I've left some out because it's been a while since I heard all of the Wolf story, but the end result will probably be that everything will have the gray coating. No idea on the boxes though.
    Hope this helps. They both seem to shoot the same to me.
    Sounds like the best info to me! I don't see much difference actually. Only Wolf ammo I shoot is the match 22lr's. I have more than enough Norinco to last quite a while. I do have some green steel case of Russian decent that is not legible for a brand name or manufacturer. Most of which has a steel core. That would be these in the blister paks.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I have had bad experience with Wolf ammo in general and would not recommend it. The biggest thing is that the cheap Wolf .223 is too lightly loaded to ever cycle my 16" AR. With the longer barrel ARs it cycles but jams plenty.

I don't have an AK so I can't know for sure about 7.62x39, but I still wouldn't trust it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I have had bad experience with Wolf ammo in general and would not recommend it. The biggest thing is that the cheap Wolf .223 is too lightly loaded to ever cycle my 16" AR. With the longer barrel ARs it cycles but jams plenty.

I don't have an AK so I can't know for sure about 7.62x39, but I still wouldn't trust it.
    I will say this. I pick up more seemingly unfired Wolf ammo in .223 when I visit my local range than anything else. Seriously.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I find that when I shoot Wolf thru Glock 26 it smokes to much.
    I think it's designed for good cheap plinking ammo.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I've fired over 3,000 rounds through my guns (2000 through two .45's and the other 1000 through the SKS). I've had zero FTF, FTE, etc. It is accurate (for it's purpose) in my guns. I don't think it smokes any more than other commercial cartridges. I've hear it's dirty. DUH! What round doesn't leave a residue in your barrel? I clean my firearms after each range session so the primer and related residue isn't an issue. I cannot attest to any other calibers, but I've shot both the black box and the camo box in each weapon without issue. It's good to plink with and I've got a bunch of it if SHTF. It goes bang every time and it WILL punch through clothing and skin if needed.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The web links also say "Mil-Spec sealant around case mouth" for the Military Classic, if that's any big deal.

I just started shooting 7.62 recently, so no extensive experience, but it works fine in the Saiga. I've been told by folks on other forums to stay away from it in handgun calibers since 1) it's filthy, and 2) the steel casing can contribute to feeding and/or extracting issues.

Best used in the commie guns it was designed for, I guess.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Links