45 ACP for SD - Page 2

45 ACP for SD

This is a discussion on 45 ACP for SD within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fefderal Tactical HST 230gr...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP for SD

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Fefderal Tactical HST 230gr
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

230gr HST here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I know about federal hydro shock 185gr JHPs, but the Remington are less expensive. You can get 100 rounds for 37 bucks any thoughts on the Remington ammo for SD.
    First let me say, please do not choose your carry ammo based solely on cost! You're not going to be shooting very much carry ammo. For range practice you buy WWB or UMC or some other cheap ball ammo. Or you handload if you're shooting a LOT. But carry ammo seldom needs to be fired unless you just want to, so cost shouldn't really be a factor. Cost would only matter if you're one of those few who believe that all bullets perform exactly the same -- and I still don't understand how anyone can believe that.

OTOH, once you gather the data and come to a decision on which round you'd prefer for SD, then forget what it costs -- unless you're talking Glasers or something else exotic (not recommended for general carry, IMO), none of it is so expensive that you can't afford a box or two of it. Are you really going to quibble over a few bucks when it comes to your life or the life of your loved ones? Premium carry ammo is also typically subject to higher quality control, so you're much less likely to have a misfire than with cheap range ammo -- also critical for SD work.

Now you *should* shoot at least a mag or two of carry ammo through any new gun just to confirm reliability and POI compared to your regular range ammo. In fact I'd recommend you go ahead and shoot one whole box up front. Once you're satisfied that it's reliable and accurate in your gun, then the next box you'll save for SD carry only. I've kept one box of carry ammo for as long as 10 years before, although now I try to shoot maybe 50 rounds of my carry ammo a year through each gun.

I'm of the opinion that for general SD purposes, HST is one of the finest rounds available, so that's what I carry in my .45's. 230gr HST costs around $24 + s/h per 50 from places like AmmunitionToGo.com or TacticalDefenseSolutions (a sponsor of this forum). Shipping is cheaper if you go ahead and buy a couple of boxes at a time. For example, taking into account this forum's discount at TDS (use promotion code DC), I can order one 50 round box of 230gr HST for $33.51 shipped, or two boxes for $56.67 shipped. For two boxes, that's only $28/box for what I consider one of the best rounds you can buy. The cost would be similar -- within $3/box -- if you were to choose the also excellent Speer Gold Dot or Winchester SXT, or most any other premium ammo.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

How much does it really matter other than knowing you've got a 45 and some HP's?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    230gr Speer Gold Dots...
    Ditto.
    Any high quality 230gr HP works for me if the stores out of GD's. Make sure whatever you choose functions well in your pistol.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    I'll throw in my $0.02 worth. Federal HST +P 230 gr. Better price and performance than Hydra-Shoks.
    That's what's in my 1911.

It's definately a "stout" load, but I'm worth it.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I carry Hornady TAP FPD +P 230gr.
    As do I. Havn't had a failure yet. (Yes, I shoot a lot of my carry ammo, why practice only with ammo that's not in the gun when you might NEED it?)
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

VIP Member
    Add another to the list for the Federal HST 230gr +P
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    First, find a loading that works RELIABLY the first time and every time in your firearm!!! There are a bunch of really good ones out there.

My personal choice is something with the DPX bullet from Barnes. Both Cor-Bon and Taurus loadings are great. The Cor-Bon is somewhat "hotter" and in my opinion, a little too hot for accurate and fast repeat shots. I picked the Taurus loadings for EDC.

These things are pretty expensive, but how much is your life worth????

So any 230gr. JHP will get the job done
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    So any 230gr. JHP will get the job done
    According to some. Not so much according to others.

What do you define as "the job?" Yes, I think most any .45ACP 230gr JHP (or FMJ for that matter) will put a serious hurtin' on any BG. That said, I'll take any edge that modern bullet designs give me, and I believe there are several that are greatly improved over the el-cheapo jacketed rounds, while being only moderately more expensive.

I guess when it comes down to it, I treat ammo selection like I do caliber and gun selection. When you don't have any choice, you make do with what you've got. If all I can possibly carry is a .22, I'll carry it because it's better than a slingshot. If I have a 1911 and all I have access to is cheap JHP or FMJ ammo, I'll certainly use that. But while I can certainly understand someone not having the luxury of affording the best 1911 or even a Glock or XD, maybe only having a HiPoint 9mm or some family hand-me-down gun, I can't necessarily understand choosing SD ammo based strictly on cost. Unlike the cost differential in guns, the difference in SD ammo cost just isn't that much for the amount of it that you're going to be shooting. SO my advice is to buy the cheap stuff for the range, and buy the best stuff for carrying. The trick is coming to your own conclusion about what is best.

Oh, and before I forget, the #1 criteria in choosing any round is that your particular gun handles it well. The most high-tech super bullet won't do you a lick of good if your gun won't reliably cycle it or put it on target.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

One mag each.
    Attached Images

Talking

So basically Federal 230gr Hydra Shock is outdated and ancient?
    Can't believe that, when I bought them they were the hot stuff
    Am I getting old?
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Yep! You are getting old,(you wouldnt care for the alternative to growing older would you?)

The Federal HydraShocks are just as good as they ever were, but MAYBE some of the newer stuff could possibly be better.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    The Federal HydraShocks are just as good as they ever were, but MAYBE some of the newer stuff could possibly be better.

Yup, that's the way I see it too. I'm currently carrying .230gr std. pressure Remington Golden Sabers in my 1911s. At the same time, in my Glock 19 (9mm) I carry Cor-bon DPX (117gr +P, IIRC) - those are a wee bit expensive but I like the high speed, all copper bullet in 9mm. In a .45 I prefer big, heavy, slow loads.
    Jack

One more vote for 230g Federal HST in my .45

Federal Cartridge .45 ACP Tactical HST
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links