45 ACP for SD

This is a discussion on 45 ACP for SD within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 45 ACP makes a big hole anyway. No need for +P round. Save your gun. I use in my Commander style 45 non +P loads. ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP for SD

45 ACP makes a big hole anyway. No need for +P round. Save your gun. I use in my Commander style 45 non +P loads.
    Higher pressure loads cost more recoil, more difficult follow up shots. Penetration and bullet expansion is no issue. Buy good quality SD ammo like Federal HST, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Winchester Ranger T or my old favorite Federal Hydra Shock.

Vodek

2. Remove Ads

Well, I already have some Federal HST +P coming in, so I guess we'll see what happens.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Winchester 230+P T- series (Ranger) a great round in short barrel 45's as well as full size.

+1 for Hornady TAP FPD +P 230gr.

Good ol' 230 grain JHP White Box, my Springfield 1911 goes bang every time with it. Thus, each weapon is different, shoot what you are consistent with, with no malfunctions. For me it was white box, everything else jammed.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

My Grandfather had good results with 230 grain FMJ when he was on Tarawa in the fall of 1943. I carry 230 grain Winchester White Box

Sorry, just realized the question was about HP ammunition.

If I was to carry HP, I would go with 230 grain standard pressure and would try to find a bullet profile that closely matched FMJ profile, and function check several hundered rounds in my carry gun.
    Last edited by 7mm Gumbo; January 1st, 2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Strayed from topic

WWB JHPs function well in my XD as well, I just like the extra THUMP of the DT +P.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

I combine .45 230 gr Federal HST +Ps and Non +Ps in my carry mags. First round is a Non P and second round is +P, third round is Non P, forth round is +P and so on.

I have better accuracy with follow up shots if the first shot is a Non P round. Since I fire 2 shots at a time, I think alternating +Ps and Non +Ps is the best setup for me.

Known the world over as the pow-BAM! technique...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by glock45 View Post
    I combine .45 230 gr Federal HST +Ps and Non +Ps in my carry mags. First round is a Non P and second round is +P, third round is Non P, forth round is +P and so on.

I have better accuracy with follow up shots if the first shot is a Non P round. Since I fire 2 shots at a time, I think alternating +Ps and Non +Ps is the best setup for me.
    So... that changes you POI, doesn't it. Why not just choose one round and stick with it, instead of sacrificing accuracy.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    So... that changes you POI, doesn't it. Why not just choose one round and stick with it, instead of sacrificing accuracy.
    The +P flavor does not change my accuracy, it DOES however, make it harder to aim the FOLLOW UP shot due to the increased recoil. I have practiced a bit and when I shoot the Non +P round first and the follow up shot is the +P round, the two holes are very close together (within a 3-4 inch circle COM at around 9 yds.). When only using +P rounds, my follow up shots end up making holes all around the place.

As a previous poster very appropriately noted: the pow - BAAANG!!! technique...

Always used Corbon in every caliber I've ever owned for carry/SD purposes. Its ultra reliable in every gun ive had and its performance is 2nd to none. Period. In my current Carry, I am using the 165gr JHP +P Rounds. tends to go closer to POA compared to the others when companred to my "practice" raounds (Magtech 230gr fmj)

Ranger SXT 230gr +P

230 gr. HARD BALL! You don't need expansion with a .45, it's already BIG ENOUGH. It will give deep penetration, not over penetration. Where the .45 is concerned, the BG is the only one to benefit from using a hollow point. Statistics show that 80 % of all persons shot with a hollow point survive their wounds. Not so with hard ball. If you don't want to kill them, don't shoot them! Placement is everything.

Any quality 230gr. HP should be good. My preference is the Federal 230gr. +P HST hollow point. Although in the dead of winter I think I'll use the Federal 230gr. +P EFMJ.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links