45 ACP for SD

This is a discussion on 45 ACP for SD within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bart 230 gr. HARD BALL! You don't need expansion with a .45, it's already BIG ENOUGH. It will give deep penetration, not ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 45 ACP for SD

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    230 gr. HARD BALL! You don't need expansion with a .45, it's already BIG ENOUGH. It will give deep penetration, not over penetration. Where the .45 is concerned, the BG is the only one to benefit from using a hollow point. Statistics show that 80 % of all persons shot with a hollow point survive their wounds. Not so with hard ball. If you don't want to kill them, don't shoot them! Placement is everything.

NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Rem 230 gr Golden Sabre in my XD .45 C. I like the balistics and because that's what our local PD carries so it must be good.

Quote Originally Posted by glock45 View Post
    The +P flavor does not change my accuracy, it DOES however, make it harder to aim the FOLLOW UP shot due to the increased recoil. I have practiced a bit and when I shoot the Non +P round first and the follow up shot is the +P round, the two holes are very close together (within a 3-4 inch circle COM at around 9 yds.). When only using +P rounds, my follow up shots end up making holes all around the place.

As a previous poster very appropriately noted: the pow - BAAANG!!! technique...
    I would use whichever load that you are certain you could hit with when using followup shots. +P is no good if it doesnt hit the target.

Michael

Big enough? I feel the need for an analogy...

You are in a race around the world to save your own life, and the lives of everyone you love. You do not get to see the vehicle the other person is driving, or know how good of a driver he/she is. Do you think your stock Mustang GT is fast enough? Heck no.

If I were in that race, I think I'd be driving the Space Shuttle with the solid rocket boosters burning, just to be sure that there is no way I could lose. I want everything on my side, as the most important thing is not. Time... The BG will move first, in most cases, and you are playing catch up. How's your hardball (Mustang GT) going to tip the scales in your favor as much, or better than a JHP?

IMHO:
    Biggest gun you can comfortably and consistently carry.
    Hardest hitting round you can shoot accurately and consistently.
    Best ammo that will feed and fire reliably.
    Most practicing you can afford without going broke, or causing a divorce.

No disrespect intended to anyone, but let's remember that SD ammo combined with your pistol, and your practice regimin may become the only thinig standing between you (and your family) and the Pearly Gates.

The effectiveness of modern JHPs is well documented, and the firearms of every law enforcement agency in the US are stuffed full of them. They are so good, that the US military is trying to mimic their attributes, without breaking international warfare accords.

I'd suggest that everyone find a hard hitting JHP that their pistol will feed and fire, and go shoot a bunch of it.

If your pistol won't function well with JHPs, then you can argue that hardball is the right choice.

Get to know an officer in your area, and ask him/her what their service arm is loaded with. That's a great starting point.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

A lot depends on your ability to handle +p ammo. A lot depends on what rounds your .45 functions dependably with. And a lot depends on your barrel length.

Under those guidelines - obviously - you want the largest and most consistent mushroomed .45 bullet that you can drive to (arguably) somewhere around 12" in ballistic geletin.

You want to drill the widest possible hole to an adequate depth with a little bit of penetrating ability to spare IMO.

Of course you did specify a Colt Commander being carried.

I gotta think that you could do a lot worse than one of the HST rounds.

bonis nocet quisqus malis perpercit

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links