Sources of 5.56?

This is a discussion on Sources of 5.56? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by vernonator LOL....you really follow that? It's just a CYA statement by the manufacturer. Well...I follow that suggestion because I know next to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sources of 5.56?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    LOL....you really follow that? It's just a CYA statement by the manufacturer.
    Well...I follow that suggestion because I know next to nothing about reloading (and have been selling brass to a friend for a nickel per cartridge). I don't follow the manual's directive to carry Israeli-style.

2. Remove Ads

Prvi Partizan... Real deal 5.56 made to mil specs in Serbia. Thats all I feed my AR

PRVI PARTIZAN M193
    Or
    PRVI PARTIZAN M855

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

I've been reloading for over 30 years and much prefer reloads in my rifles. I can build a much more accurate round for my particular guns. My Bushmaster will shoot 1/2 inch groups with Sierra 65 gr Game King bullets and H335. My AR-10T likes Hornady 168 gr A-Max and Varget. It's less expensive and I enjoy working up good loads for my guns.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I recently bought the same Federal 5.56 at Gander Mountain. It cost less than the Federal .223 which comes in a prettier box.

CDH
    Both the Federal XM193 (AKA Lake City M193) and the Q3131A 5.56 ammo are used by our troops as battle ammo, so as you might imagine, you can't go wrong with those two types.

Not terribly long ago (a couple years), I used to be able to buy either of those from ammoman.com for $199/1000.
    Now, it's going for $420/1000, but at least it's available again. I disappeared for a while (likely because most of it was going to Iraq).
    This is it here, the very first entry at the top of the page:
    The AMMOMAN.COM ONLINE WEBSTORE

You guys who are finding it cheaper are doing well.

$4.17 is a good price! I take it that was a while ago?

This is the 5.56 I just bought at $ 6.99:

caveat emptor

Quote Originally Posted by CDH View Post
    I have used Ammoman, good service & product, but after I ordered some stuff 2 undesirable things happened immediately. The email address I used started getting a lot gun-spam and I began to get gun-related junk mail, including some from Cheaper Than Dirt, with whom I have never done business. If I use Ammoman again, I will use a throw-away email address--nothing I can do about the CTD junk, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I have used Ammoman, good service & product, but after I ordered some stuff 2 undesirable things happened immediately. The email address I used started getting a lot gun-spam and I began to get gun-related junk mail, including some from Cheaper Than Dirt, with whom I have never done business. If I use Ammoman again, I will use a throw-away email address--nothing I can do about the CTD junk, though.

I have a handful of throw away email addresses i use for this kind of thing. Or whenever i have to put down an email address on any form of website registration, etc. Makes it easier to separate the junk from the things i want to read.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Sorry to hear that, and I can't comment on it because I've been using throw-away email addresses for years.
    I have just two "serious" addresses; one at work and one at home. But I also have 3 more at work and 3 more at home that I use for anything that I don't care to have follow me around with spam.
    Additionally, I run the "PopFile" spam filter on all my addresses so even the spam that hits my throw-away addresses normally gets filtered into a trash file.

As you point out, no one can trust anyone when it comes to protecting our email integrity. Even places I truly like to do business with commonly sell my address, but I fool 'em every time.

For my pre-election purchasing, I ordered some of the brown-box Lake City XM193 as pictured by both Ram Rod and cwblanco from Ammoman. Last time I ordered was mid 2007; it's actually cheaper this time.

I also ordered some .40 and .45 JHP in boxes of 50. Much better deal than the local Sportsman's Warehouse which sells those little boxes of 20.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Now I'm thoroughly confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I can always find 5.56 ammo local. Mostly what I've gotten is the Federal XM193 with Lake City brass that is true 5.56x45. While you should have no issues using .223 ammunition on your 5.56 chambered AR-15, there may be reduced accuracy compared to the 5.56. The pressure problem is when using 5.56 ammo in sporting rifles chambered for .223.

001-68258-Federal Ammunition (LC) XM193, 5.56mm, (223 Remington), Metal Case Boat-Tail, 55 GR, 3250 fps, 20 Rd/bx-*$8.29*-Manufactured by: Federal
    Can't say I've tried any M855
    MidwayUSA - Surplus Ammunition British 5.56x45mm (223 Remington) SS109 62 Grain XM855 NATO Headstamp Full Metal Jacket Boxer Primed Box of 500
    Considering the difference between .223 and 5.56 I assume it's NOT safe to shoot 5.56 out of a Colt AR-15 that's marked .223.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Considering the difference between .223 and 5.56 I assume it's NOT safe to shoot 5.56 out of a Colt AR-15 that's marked .223.
    Hmm, that would really surprise me. However, I am not an expert and I do not have specific knowledge on the subject. My Bushmaster is marked "Cal.223-5.56".
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Hmm, that would really surprise me. However, I am not an expert and I do not have specific knowledge on the subject. My Bushmaster is marked "Cal.223-5.56".
    Slim is correct, if your barrel is marked as 5.56, or .233-5.56 as is your case, it is safe. However, if your barrel is marked for .223 only, it presents an unsafe condition due to the higher pressures of 5.56. Doesn't mean an accident will happen, as I'm sure many people have done it, but I would strongly advise against it, as it is an overpressure situation.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Look at the barrel. If it is only marked .223 the yes only shoot .223. I thought all Colts were 5.56/.223 but I could be wrong.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laeckcrov View Post
    Slim is correct, if your barrel is marked as 5.56, or .233-5.56 as is your case, it is safe. However, if your barrel is marked for .223 only, it presents an unsafe condition due to the higher pressures of 5.56. Doesn't mean an accident will happen, as I'm sure many people have done it, but I would strongly advise against it, as it is an overpressure situation.
    Wow, that's horrible. Why would they even bother to make this? How much cheaper could it possibly be?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links