Sources of 5.56?

Sources of 5.56?

This is a discussion on Sources of 5.56? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My AR-15, like most, is chambered for 5.56mm NATO. Most retailers' ads indicate that they think 5.56 and .223 Remington are identical, like this description ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sources of 5.56?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Sources of 5.56?

My AR-15, like most, is chambered for 5.56mm NATO. Most retailers' ads indicate that they think 5.56 and .223 Remington are identical, like this description of an item at CheaperThanDirt: "Ammo .223 or 5.56 SS109...". However, we know they are different, most significantly in a 20% higher chamber pressure for the 5.56.

I bought what I thought was Swiss Munitions 5.56 from Ammoman, but on looking at details on now-gone Swiss Munitions web pages, I found what I got was actually .223. It works in the AR, but I would like to try the 5.56mm NATO. I have searched extensively but haven't found a source of actual 5.56 ammunition, either locally or on the Internet--it's all seemingly .223. Any advice?

Ammunitiontogo carries both. For exampleThis claims it is loaded to 5.56 spec

So does this

In my experience, the only 5.56 has been in FMJ, but don't let that stop you.

You could always handload!
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Thanks for the links.

Handloading is certainly an option, but only theoretical for me at the moment. Having been mainly a Glock shooter conforming to the manual's "fire no reloads" dictum, I haven't previously been interested. I will have to see how much I actually shoot the AR before plunging into reloading.
    Last edited by Anubis; October 23rd, 2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: eradicated stupid looking typo

I've never understood that. Why wouldn't you be able to handload for a Glock?

Good luck with your AR shootin. Stay safe, and i hope to see you on the Reloading Forum here someday in the future.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

VIP Member
    I own Taurus, Ruger, CZ, Bersa and a SIG. They all state in the manual not to shoot hand loads. Almost all gun makers recommend not shooting hand loads, and state doing so will void your warranty. This is basically a CYA thing. Since there is no quality control measures available in hand loading, other than the loader, too easy for overcharges and other mistakes to go unnoticed until too late. Yes I know, it can happen with factory loads too, but how often do you hear of a "hot load" from factory ammo?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Yes I know, it can happen with factory loads too, but how often do you hear of a "hot load" from factory ammo?
    Never, which is why i prefer hand loads I guess that makes sense, I'm sure all my manuals say something along those lines, i just never read them.

I just ordered some PRVI Partizan M855 from these guys.Welcome to Palmetto State Armory! They are on ar15.com
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I can always find 5.56 ammo local. Mostly what I've gotten is the Federal XM193 with Lake City brass that is true 5.56x45. While you should have no issues using .223 ammunition on your 5.56 chambered AR-15, there may be reduced accuracy compared to the 5.56. The pressure problem is when using 5.56 ammo in sporting rifles chambered for .223.

001-68258-Federal Ammunition (LC) XM193, 5.56mm, (223 Remington), Metal Case Boat-Tail, 55 GR, 3250 fps, 20 Rd/bx-*$8.29*-Manufactured by: Federal
    Can't say I've tried any M855
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=665560

I have argued this many times. You have considerable differences between the 5.56Nato and 223. Take a moment and check out the following;

556v223 "The Gun Zone"

Funny you mention it: CheaperThanDirt sells the 5.56 Lake City M193 ammo, or at least that's the picture of the product, but they describe it as .223. I posted a "review" comment to point this discrepancy out. They truncated my comment but allowed it to post, but still haven't fixed their description.

AMM-207 - Ammo .223 Federal Lake City 55 Grain FMJBT XM193 Box of 20 Rounds New Production.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

I bought a case of 5.56 last night when I purchased my new AR
    $6.99 / 20 round box X (25)

Lawmens Law Enforcement Supply

I do believe they ship. I don't have the part # with me today but can post tonight if needed. That's almost a buck cheeper than I've found anywhere else.
    The chief of Police for Warrenton NC was there buying 5 cases and said it's all his department uses.

I went to the range today and shot one box out of four that was 5.56mm. Look at the price sticker and you'll know it came from what I had in stock. Maybe I should taper off on shooting the AR for a while?

I've got a 200 round "battlepack" of 2008 production PPM193 PRVI PARTIZAN (55 grain FMJBT) coming from Wideners. With shipping it was a bit under $82.

If someone is stocking up, they are offering 1000 rounds of the same for $350 delivered in the lower 48.

Nick

Well, you made out good on the shipping then, because I can get the same as I posted in the pic for $8.25 per 20 round box locally if I felt the need to re-stock. The thousand round deal is far better, but then that $350 would get my shotgun home tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Thanks for the links.

Handloading is an certanly an option, but only theoretical for me at the moment. Having been mainly a Glock shooter conforming to the manual's "fire no reloads" dictum, I haven't previously been interested. I will have to see how much I actually shoot the AR before plunging into reloading.

LOL....you really follow that? It's just a CYA statement by the manufacturer. Virtually every firearm manufacturer states the same thing. Keep your reloads in spec and you are fine....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links