Stockpile ratio

This is a discussion on Stockpile ratio within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually keep a few hundred SD rounds and a few thousand practice rounds. I so wish I had bought more ammo a couple years ...

View Poll Results: What is your ratio of ammo

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • All self defense

7 4.83%
  • Mostly self defense

25 17.24%
  • Equal split between self defense and practice

42 28.97%
  • Mostly practice

69 47.59%
  • All practice

2 1.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stockpile ratio

I usually keep a few hundred SD rounds and a few thousand practice rounds. I so wish I had bought more ammo a couple years ago when the prices started to increase. I def. saw it coming and bought alot but not as much as I should have. Oh well.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

2. Remove Ads

I've got a min. of 1500 rounds for each pistol caliber probably a 75-25% split with the bulk being JHP of one type or the other... Rifle ammo.. Almost 3k in .223 majority is 55gr FMJ but I've got ~750 55gr Ballistic tips loaded just under max load... for my longer range needs ~900rds of .300WM ~500 in a 180gr Ballistic tip ~150rds in 165 gr with varying loads and the remainder in 210gr SMKs...
    .22LR 6-8k assorted not sure of a full count its been awhile
    Shotgun ~500rds varying from slugs to 00buck to birdshot...
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Administrator
    I dunno, it all depends on what I'm shooting at. Sometimes its practice, sometimes its not.

Most of my stash is ball ammo. A SHTF will be a long gun event, HP ammo wont matter much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

DC Founder
    I just bought another 1000 rounds of 5.56 and am planning on buying more .45acp, 9mm, .30-06 and 12 gauge (00 buck) this weekend....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I keep 500 rounds of .45 FMJs, 100 .45 JHPs, 1000 7.62x39, and 60 .300 WinMag. Anything else I buy is practice.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I simply have ammo. It can be used for practice or defense.
    Same here.

I havent taken stock recently, but figure that my stash of primers must run well into the 10s of thousands,empty brass ? Lets just say more than enough, Powder? More than a guy can burn in a lifetime. Bullets and lead shot? An almost never ending supply,(I cast for most everything I shoot). Been collecting reloading stuff for over 50 years and still jump on a bargin every now and then.

and I do have hunting ammo...
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have mostly self defense ammo. I have ammo for my shotguns for bird hunting and thats about all. I have a limited amount of hardball for my .45 and some for my AR15, otherwise, I have about 2500 rds of both in JHP's.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

All ammo is SD. This includes all reloads which are made of typical SD type bullets and powered up to typical velocities for factory loads.

I practice with what I carry and I carry all factory ammo.

bosco

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I have around 2K in .223, and several hundred in .45, and 9mm. I also have around 100 each 12g 00Buck, and slugs. I'm starting to stock up. My goal for general SHTF/TEOTWAWKI purposes has been 5000 rounds for each caliber (not per weapon, that wound put it at 15K 9mm, 10K 45, and that will only go up, as I'll keep buying guns). I had thought that I had time to build up my supply, but given the distinct possibility of an Obama presidency, the clock is now ticking. Whether he succeeds in banning gun sales, limiting citizens to single shot weapons or revolvers, or putting a 500% tax on ammo, we may only have a matter of months (hopefully longer, if either McCain pulls it out, or the NRA can tie up the restrictions in court), so I have sped up my acquisitions. I need to pick up a few more handguns, and a couple of more rifles and a tactical shot gun, I will try to pick up a case or two of ammo a month until I reach my goals. and then I may continue until the law prevents me.

I have only 1 SD rd and I carry it in my pocket. Just like brother Barney

Yes sir Mr Goverment man that is the truth

I chose all self defense, because even my mildly loaded fmj target rounds could be used for defense, and if I put them in the right place they would do the job.

About 90% of my practice handloads are loaded to just enough power to reliably operate my pistols, and about 10% loaded hot to simulate full power and +p factory loads. I keep a few boxes of factory "self defense" ammo on hand, and practice with it enough to be sure it functions and hits to point of aim. I load my pistol with factory ammo for carry, either Speer Gold Dots or Federal HST's, but I think any major brand, modern HP would work, as long as I do my part.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Around 100 to 150 rounds of SD ammo for each caliber, and then around 300 rounds of practice ammo for each.

Planning to buy more SD, and practice ammo in the near future.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I buy a ratio of 5-1, I use 180grn with my regular carry.
    I prefer Ranger SXT 180 grn for SD use, and shoot Blazer brass 180grn FMJ for practice. Walmart has great bottom of barrel prices right now, and have been able to stock up on around 2k rounds practice, with a little over 400 rounds of SD.
    Rule of Honor

I had to vote equal split. I handload all my practice ammo, and have a bunch of stored handloaded ammo. I buy some SD ammo, and shoot it regularly. On my EDC i carry 7+1 store bought SD ammo, and two spare mags of really hot handloads.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links