Stockpile ratio

This is a discussion on Stockpile ratio within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many are buying ammo in preparation for ammo shortages/taxes. I was curious as to how much you are stocking and what the ratio is of ...

View Poll Results: What is your ratio of ammo

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • All self defense

7 4.83%
  • Mostly self defense

25 17.24%
  • Equal split between self defense and practice

42 28.97%
  • Mostly practice

69 47.59%
  • All practice

2 1.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stockpile ratio

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Stockpile ratio

Many are buying ammo in preparation for ammo shortages/taxes. I was curious as to how much you are stocking and what the ratio is of practive ammo versus self defense ammo.

2. Remove Ads

I have multi-K rounds of various calibers...mostly .45, 9mm, .223, in the hundreds...30-30, and 00 buck.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Got to have enough for practice so the remainder will be effective if used. I like to have a fair turnover to keep the SD ammo fresh.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Prior to things looking like they are elections-wise, I typically owned about 100 rounds of SD ammo and 1000 rounds of practice ammo. That's split in three calibers... not per caliber/weapon.

Now I'm up to about 500 and 3000, with another 200 SD rounds on the way. My biggest concern is that the new administration and/or congressional bodies would try to prohibit SD ammo just like the old "teflon coated bullets".
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Mostly practice, have about 1500-2000rds per weapon. Dick's has an other sale on next week, will be picking up couple more cases of 9mm & .40 ammo.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I got enough powder primers and lead to crank out about 20,000 rounds of 45,9mm,40 S&W,and about 5000 .223
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

With the acception shot gun ammo, I think a solid argument can be made that in SHTF situations, the practice rounds might have advantages the CC SD (like hollow points) might lack.

I desided a while back that my .357 SIG 125 GR. FMJ Winchester (go to practice rounds) might be a better SHTF SD round then my CC SD 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger rounds.

Sometimes, the practice round (for some calibers) provide the better rounds for in the woods, penetration, combat, etc. Just IMO. I would not make this argument for the typical SD situation.

Sooo....

Ya, I've stocked up a bit on Practice ammo (esp any time there is a sale). For semi-auto handgun rounds. Not sure I would want to re-load semi-auto ammo. I don't think prices will be dropping (either due to the possibility of a weaking dollar, taxes, or just the econ in general). There are a lot of good reasons (right now) to build up a surplus if you catch a good price.

As for revolver and hunting ammo, reloads would do the trick. So I just have a min of rounds (and will count on family round making time reloads).

I bought a little more XX buck a few days ago. Shotgun ammo is the only ammo I've been slacking on.

Lastly, I can't deside how much .22 LR rounds I should buy. I keep 100 - 700 around, that lasts about a month or two. Cheap hobby. Hope it stays at $.03 or so a round :)

I have 2,000 Each cal can go either way all HP except 300 rnds JSP for hunting not includind riffle

Mostly practice for me. I'd venture to guess my "stockpile" to be 70/30. 30% PD ammo. I buy whatever strikes me at the moment or is a good buy.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Many are buying ammo in preparation for ammo shortages/taxes. I was curious as to how much you are stocking and what the ratio is of practive ammo versus self defense ammo.
    I just bought 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for my AK, and I'm getting ready to do the same for .223. I have enough shotgun shells to last me for life, I'm slowly picking up handgun ammo, I'd say about 500 of each caliber at this point 9mm, .380, .45 and .38.

I have about 3 boxes (550 rounds each) of 22 LR... that'll last me til kingdom come and I also have about 100 rounds of my .270... I really only use it for hunting anyway. I'm a good shot at it anyway. My 8mm Mauser I have about 100 rounds as well, as it's not a plinking gun, more of a collectors item.

The ammo I purchase is about 50/50... however, with that said all of the ammo is defensive if need be including .223, 308, 12g, 20g, .45, .40, 9mm, .380, .38 and the good ole .22.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member
    I shot up 700 rounds or so at Front Sight this month so I only have about 3300 practice rounds left. I've got 300 Federal HST's 100 TAP and 80 Gold Dot.

Dang! I'd better get stocked back up!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Wink Not Enough!

They way I've been feeling recently, not enough of any! I have 3,800 of 9MM, 1,000 of 7.62 X 39, and a couple of 100 12 GA, plus 2-3,000 22 LR, and enough of my SD EDC ammo for a couple of intense engagements......

Note to self:

3-4,000 7.62 X 39 JHP
    3-4,000 9 MM Ball
    500-1,000 Gold Dot JHP
    1-2,000 12 Ga Various shot
    2-3,000 22 LR JHP

Darn! How do I explain this to DW?
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I simply have ammo. It can be used for practice or defense.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Most of my stockpile is defensive rounds. Only place I have to shoot is a public range, and they require you use their ammo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links