Proper long term ammo storage

This is a discussion on Proper long term ammo storage within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would appreciate some help (instruction) from you knowledgeable folks on HOW best to store ammo long term. This is ammo I have bought, am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper long term ammo storage

I would appreciate some help (instruction) from you knowledgeable folks on HOW best to store ammo long term. This is ammo I have bought, am buying and will buy in preparation for the EOTWAWKI or when TSHTF. I have a rotating inventory of 4 calibers right now and have enuff to begin serious storage. HELP ?

Any links or personal tips would be helpful.

I store mine in my safe. Some of it is in ammo cans. You can buy silica packs to put in the cans. I have never had a problem with ammo stored this way. Keep it in a dry semi cool place and you will be fine.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

VIP Member
    Keep it dry, clean, and out of constant vibration (for long term storage) and you should be good to go. Ammo cans are great for this.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

As far as I understand it, ammo should last practically forever. Most important is to keep it dry. You may want to put it in plastic "zip" type bags, with a dessicant pak in each one. Do not store in outdoor sheds, or on concrete. These dessicant paks can be bought at many gun shops and supply places. I'm sure others with have more suggestions for you as well.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I use, of all things, the large empty Tidy Cat litter boxes. They are plastic, have a sturdy carry handle, waterproof and will hold a 1000 rds of 9mm in 50 rd boxes. I pack'em, label'em and stack'em on my ammo locker. The cat looks at me kinda funny

Quote Originally Posted by Gunney View Post
    I use, of all things, the large empty Tidy Cat litter boxes. They are plastic, have a sturdy carry handle, waterproof and will hold a 1000 rds of 9mm in 50 rd boxes. I pack'em, label'em and stack'em on my ammo locker. The cat looks at me kinda funny

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I have cases and cases, stacked in the bottom of two safes...always dry and the house is almost always air conditioned.
    No problems...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I store ammo in ammo cans, but do not use desiccant. Ammo is stored indoors in a climate-controlled environment (AC/heat) so should be okay. I do date code each box, and rotate on a first-in/first-out basis.

RamRod your one step away from the arsenal at the gas station in Terminator 2...I'm envious.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Great ideas and thanks for each one. I read somewhere to take ammo out of the cardboard box (cardboard will soak up moisture out of the air ?). Anyone hear that one ?

Right now my ammo is still in the cardboard boxes (which are dated upon purchase for rotation) stacked in a wall mounted metal cabinet. I have a dehumidifier that I bought from the NRA Store in it (have to recharge dehumidifier once per week). Seems to be working as a system so far, but the ammo supply is growing monthly until I hit optimum amounts per caliber (Xmas?).

Ammo cans (sorry dog guy, no cats here) on the list for purchase. Thanks !

RamRod: those pictures are great ! Gives me some idea of what my "organization" should look like when finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunney View Post
    I've been wondering what to do with all those cat litter buckets (I have a large supply on hand)!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I've always just kept my ammo in the boxes it comes in. I don't keep more than 400-500 rounds on hand....and every time I shoot I go through all of it....So there is no need for me to rotate, date, or any of that....or even worry about how I store it.

I'm looking into reloading here pretty soon. When I start that I'll probably get a decent size safe and keep about 2 - 3k rounds on hand and rotate them.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I use mil surplus ammo cans becuase they are cheap and they work well. I have mostly 50 cal ammo cans for each handgun caliber, muzzle loadin supplies, and .22lr. Each is marked for what it contains. I keep rifle mags and ammo in the large grenade or rocket type boxes, also marked. The big grey rocket box contains shotgun ammo and other misc. stuff that needs to stay dry. The only downside to the big cans it that it takes a lot of effort to move them.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Keeping your ammo in the original cardboard boxes should be of no consequence actually, if you keep them in a cool, dry place. When buying surplus ammo cans, make sure they have the rubber gasket, and seal well with a good handle and tight. I always keep any small desiccant packs that come in electronics or OTC medications. I have a host of people that save them for me. I have also bought some larger desiccant bags at gun shows, and if you don't adhere to the ft² per in³, it's really not a problem if you have desiccant that's able to be rejuvenated in the oven...and you feel your bags or packets every so often to make sure they are still in crystalized form and not mushy. You can keep everything open in the closet if you want...cardboard boxes and all--there's just a bit of maintenance involved. If you don't have desi-paks, pieces of new, broken sheetrock can take the place of that. Thing is...if you have a large amount of stored ammo, check it for signs of moisture often. Shrinking of the cardboard boxes. Discoloration of the boxes or tarnished cases. White crystals between the neck of the case and bullet, etc. Storage on wooden shelves is good. Up off the floor. If you have no choice but to store ammo in cans or wooden crates on a concrete floor......put down a barrier of a sheet of plywood, or several layers of plastic several mils thick. I've done almost every scene as far as ammo storage is concerned. I'm no expert, but when it comes right down to it.....you have to care for your ammo, and look out for it. Same thing with rust on your firearm. Do everything you can to avoid problems...short term or long term. Use common sense and what's been proven. If your ammo has never been 'wet', but you feel it has been compromised...inspect it fully and make it your priority to shoot that first and as soon as possible. That might give you a good excuse for going to the range and saving some brass. My 2¢. Keep it safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links