For those with SA mil specs

This is a discussion on For those with SA mil specs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; was wondering if anyone could suggest a good defensive load for a SA milspec. i am really interested in Federal EFMJ's or some sort of ...

Thread: For those with SA mil specs

was wondering if anyone could suggest a good defensive load for a SA milspec. i am really interested in Federal EFMJ's or some sort of JHP, but i don't really know where to start. Basically reliability is my main concern and thats why i was looking for something with the ball profile but with some expansion....
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Go to www.corbon.com and check out the powerball. Also look at the DPX, it looks MEAN.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

i like the pow'rball but it says they are +p and apparently in my SA manual it says not to use +p? any info on that?

The only warning i see in my Springer manuals for not using +P is only on the shortys not afullsize

I ran across an article about defensive ammo recently. It is an opinion piece that lists specific ammo for each caliber along with some supporting arguments for some of the choices. Good? Bad? It may be a good place to start and may spark some discussions. It is a long piece.

The article is at http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I haven't had any problems with any type of ammo I have feed my mil-spec. I have used ball, JHP, JSP, even wadcutters, never a single FTF. After about 3,000 rounds I started having a FTRTB, and a spring changed git her back up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    The only warning i see in my Springer manuals for not using +P is only on the shortys not afullsize

just noticed that, thanks.

my springer will function with almost anything now that it's broken in. i use remington 230 gr. golden sabres for defensive use. never had a single problem with them, except cost lol.

+1 corbon. jhp or pow'r ball, either will function fine in a mil-spec.

I've fed mine everything from the evil old school Israeli surplus baby bottle nipple-shaped wadcutters (which are my test for any 1911 - if it feeds those, it'll feed *anything*) to Hydrashocks to Golden Sabers to whatever was on sale that day, and it just doesn't care.

It's a shame I don't like the gun as much as my others.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by fortysomething
    Way, way too outdated - bullet designs and whatnot have changed substantially in the last ten years (which appears to be how long ago it was written by the single, solitary 357 Sig JHP being the only option period in that caliber).
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    Way, way too outdated - bullet designs and whatnot have changed substantially in the last ten years (which appears to be how long ago it was written by the single, solitary 357 Sig JHP being the only option period in that caliber).
    Not surprised! I wasn't sure of the age, but figured it as beginning reference. It would be nice to see an updated list like this.

Thanks for setting me straight on the age of the info. I didn't have the point of reference that you have. Haven't been into handguns as long.

Links