Ammo in the Summer Months

This is a discussion on Ammo in the Summer Months within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious, are their any instances where ammo cooked off in a vehicle during the hot summers here in the south? This assumes that the ...

Thread: Ammo in the Summer Months

Ammo in the Summer Months

Just curious, are their any instances where ammo cooked off in a vehicle during the hot summers here in the south? This assumes that the vehicle is not on fire.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

uhhh. No

A car might get into the high 100s, iignition temp is way above that.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

That is what I thought. However, they say the only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

MythBusters did a show on this. I believe the temperature had to get up to several hundred degrees before anything happened. No fear of that happening in your car. They also dropped bullets into a fire and they eventually did go off but they found that it would not be lethal to someone standing around it as there was no barrel to direct the bullet. The shell casings seemed to do more damage than the bullet.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    MythBusters did a show on this. I believe the temperature had to get up to several hundred degrees before anything happened. No fear of that happening in your car. They also dropped bullets into a fire and they eventually did go off but they found that it would not be lethal to someone standing around it as there was no barrel to direct the bullet. The shell casings seemed to do more damage than the bullet.
    that was a great episode, basically thry threw some ammo in an open fire, it didn't takr thrm long to go bang, but i haven't heard of anything like that happening.

Never heard of anything like that happening. I figure some of the interior parts of your vehicle would begin to melt long before it got hot enough to cook-off some ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    Just curious, are their any instances where ammo cooked off in a vehicle during the hot summers here in the south? This assumes that the vehicle is not on fire.

Thanks.
    You are good to go. The actual temp of your gun internals is much higher during rapid fire than your car would be on a hot day.

Lead Moderator
    Usually cars will only hit about 140-160 F max under direct sun light, that is considered well below the cook-off temperature.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links