45acp load testing from 5" and 4" barrels

This is a discussion on 45acp load testing from 5" and 4" barrels within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not going to copy and paste all the posts and data supplied by one of our own members as it's too extensive, but if ...

Sponsor

I'm not going to copy and paste all the posts and data supplied by one of our own members as it's too extensive, but if you are interested in the load testing results, start on page three, post 28 here:

.45ACP Ammo tests - Page 3 - Threat Focused Forums

I've made extrapolations of the raw data, that follows in subsequent posts starting with post 42.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Interesting, it seems to fully corroborate my own conclusions on some points. One, that HST is one of the best SD rounds out, and another that over-penetration is as undesireable as under-penetration. On that note, it's interesting to see that XTP and Fiocchi barely expanded and waaaay over-penetrated. For me this would put them in the "NO" column for SD carry, same as ball ammo (for .45ACP anyway). Give me 12-15 inches of penetration, no more, with good expansion. Which again, HST seems to fit the bill perfectly.

But the testing also raises some questions.

His mention of unstable bullets and "keyholing" from the 4" Kimber, particularly with Winchester SXT, is troubling, but I don't recall ever hearing of it in all the other compact 1911 tests I've ever seen. If it's as bad as he says for a 4" barrel, imagine what it would be like in a 3" micro! I'd be inclined to agree with him that this may be an isolated issue with his Kimber, although I'm not sure what it could be. Damaged barrel? Chamber out of spec?.

Another interesting note: in almost every case, penetration was greater from the 4" barrel than from the 5", despite the reduced velocity. My presumption is the greater velocity resulted in quicker expansion and thus reduced penetration?
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Sponsor
    Another interesting note: in almost every case, penetration was greater from the 4" barrel than from the 5", despite the reduced velocity. My presumption is the greater velocity resulted in quicker expansion and thus reduced penetration?

Yes sir, that does seem to make sense when you think about it

Glad you enjoyed the information sir.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I've never had an issue with keyholing from any of my 4" Kimbers with any ammo. Maybe he had a bad test gun?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My experience with Ranger 230 grain .45 and 95 grain .380 was that over half maybe three fourths that I shot separated. Not one had the kind of expansion he had. Rarely did any have any of the famed "talons" that was into water jugs and wet newspaper. HST had consistent expansion no matter what I shot it into or through. Into water jugs and wet newspaper through denim, wallboard, plywood and fiber board it all came out about the size of a quarter. Always with those six wicked petals that I imagine would create e very shredded would channel
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links