.410 Gauge shells for the Taurus Judge - Page 2

.410 Gauge shells for the Taurus Judge

This is a discussion on .410 Gauge shells for the Taurus Judge within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am on the look out for a Judge. There is alot to be said for the 410. Sure, it won't knock down an elephant ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .410 Gauge shells for the Taurus Judge

I am on the look out for a Judge. There is alot to be said for the 410. Sure, it won't knock down an elephant but it'll flat change a bad man's attitude for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    Looks like there's more than one reason to stay away from the S&B.
    caveat: For the Taurus Judge.

I like S&B ammo, it is good quality, sometimes at a great price. For example, in .357 Sig, I think the .140 GR. FMJ Sellier & Bellot is a nice round.
    Last edited by Thanis; January 21st, 2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

interesting test someone did with the Judge. Take it or leave it.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I agree with kingdaddyoh on the effectiveness of a .410. I don't understand why people assume any type of ammunition won't disable an attacker effectively. Consider the basics. You have a hard material (lead,metal,etc.) that is coming at a human being at least 700 FPS in most cases. That would hurt! I wouldn't want to get shot with a pellet out of a pellet gun much less a projectile out of some sort from a firearm. I don't buy a whole lot of stock in folks that say such and such wouldn't be powerful enough to disable an attacker. They key to the level of disablement is all about bullet placement such as throat, eyes, etc. I mean sure a .357 or .44 would do the job, but you could even carry a .22, .25, or .32 and still be fine.

Ammo

A link to Federal's new ammo. Saw it at SHOT and the chatter about it was pretty positive:
    Federal Premium - Shotshell Details

The biggest shot that would fit efficiently into the .410 was #4. I have a few old boxes of Federal Personal Defense shotshells in 12 and 20 gauge and they're loaded with #2. The factory rep said #2 wasn't enough payload in the .410.

I have no problem using birdshot in #2 or #4 for long HD shotguns, but in the Judge, I'll go with the Box O Truth people. Too big a gun for the performance. If I had one, I'd use the 000 buck 4 pellet load.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I have the Judge too. I don't understand why everyone wants to keep poo-poohing the .410 for personal defense. No question the .45 has more penetration. But tell me, do you know anyone who's going to stand there and take a few rounds of .410 and keep smiling?
    That's the wrong question to ask.

The question is "do you know anyone who is going to take a few rounds of .410 and keep stabbing / slashing / clubbing or shooting"?

Then, have a peek at this: The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

I think you'll see the merits of the .45 LC over the .410 at that point.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I see the Judge as more of a novelty than a handgun I'd consider for self-defense. The Box o' Truth test is particularly illuminating. The .410 is inferior to other handgun rounds, and as a .45 platform, there are many better choices, whether revolver or semi-auto, especially considering the size of the 5-shot Judge.

If it's intended to be a home-defense weapon for someone who isn't trained well enough to be accurate with a handgun, a short 12-gauge would be a much more effective choice.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Ammo for Judge 3" cylinder AND what I consider the BEST home self defense weapon

I have owned aThunder Five. It was fun but very heavy. Why carry 45LC in it? Carry a 45, instead. The PURPOSE of the 410 g shellis to have MULTIPLE rounds coming out at the same time with ONE shot. I personally carry 3" 000, five ball shell. My GF carrys the "made for 410 pistol ammo" which carries 4 copper-coated" lead balls.......slightly tighter pattern but still plenty enough spread to ENSURE that a VITAL takedown spot WILL be hit. I know this from experience. Both of my Judges have CrinmsonTrace grips. THESE are GREAT! There is NO wondering if you are pointing in the right direction or spot in complete darkness. As soon as red dot appears, drop hammer AND opponent. I have a 45acp for longer range shooting, but then THAT is not considered self defense. The Judge IS the BEST close-up personal self defense firearm I have PERSONALLY run across. I have shot every type of ammo, from birdshot (which I carry in the woods for snakes during season)(the red dot laser gives RAPID target acquisition, which is good when confronting snakes) and all types of buckshot. I have had absolutely NO problem with pattern and dispersion with any of these. The roll crimped-top loads, I simply do not use. The rounded edge DOES cause problems. Everything else I have tried seems to work wonders. When I was faced by a gang, I was using 5-ball ammo shells. The members of the gang were close enough, together that 2 and 3 were being hit with one shot. Freaking and wishing they had chosen another occupation in life was flashing through their minds. They had apparently never been faced with a 2 or 3 person being hit with one shot experience, in their lives. Returning fire did NOT happen, I believe, due to the surprise of my particular, PERSONAL assault/defense' I hope this has answered some questions. If anyone wishes to have further discussion, as GENTLEMEN, feel free to contact me via my email address. Put in subject line what you want or I will NOT open the email

I think this is the link to a video showing more than a couple different types of ammo being used with that weapon. I do think 000 is one of the ammos used. Not sure if it will be of any assistance in answering your question.

YouTube - ‪The Judge‬‏

Lets prove it

Lets prove it. Lets not discuss it. Lets not quote ballistic theories. Lets not have gut feelings. Lets not use wet paper, water jugs, ice, watermelons or plywood. These media were obsolete in the 1960's. I have seen on the internet calibrated clothed ballistic gelatin results of .22 to .308 and more. I've seen air rifle pellet penetrations in ballistic gelatin . I've even seen marbles fired from sling shots in ballistic gelatin. What you will not find is one test of a Judge and .410 on calibrated clothed ballistic gelatin. One video will end this endless thread.

I have found in my judge that some ammo works fine and others don't I use Federal 000 in mine and that works great
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

S&B also have some of the toughest primers known to man.

YouTube - ‪The Judge‬‏

Thats a video of The Judge showing several different types of 410 shells being used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links