.410 Gauge shells for the Taurus Judge

This is a discussion on .410 Gauge shells for the Taurus Judge within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased some .410 shells for my Judge and have a few questions. The first batch I purchased were Winchester 2 1/2 in. 1/2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just purchased some .410 shells for my Judge and have a few questions. The first batch I purchased were Winchester 2 1/2 in. 1/2 oz. 8 shot and they slide in the cylinder without any problem - they work fine. The other batch I purchased were the Sellier & Bellot 2 1/2 in 000 buck but they catch about half way down the cylinder on a little ridge that rings the cylinder internally. Tell me where I went wrong - I guess the Judge doesn't accept 000 buck?
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    Winchester 000 work fine in the Judge. I bought 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot when I first got mine and about 30 of them would not load into the cylinder. I looked and the end of the shell casing where it folds in is larger than the rest of the shell. I got to where I could look and tell which would fit and which would not. I imagine you might be able to create a tool to squeeze the end of the shell back to a position where it would fit, but I just decided to give those rounds to my brother-in-law to shoot in his .410 shot gun.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Question

I am toying with the notion of trading a VERY nice Glock 21 for a Judge. How do you like that beast? Were you disappointed? Happy?

Gunny, try swapping it for one of the old Thunder Fives instead... hehehe

...I'm going to Hell, lol
    --Dave

"Mr. Bobby, there's no smoking in here."
    "It's alright darlin, I'm a volunteer fireman."

45LC will be better than .410.
    .410 = shallow penetration.

Just my opinion, do with it as you will.
    -Biker

Mtbiker - definitely got it loaded up now with 45LC - just wanted to try the 000 buck and was having some problems with loading. I'm gonna try Mr CMG's advice and try to squeeze the end a little to see if I can get them to fit right - will try the Winchester 000 next. Gunny0491 - I love it and it's now paired with my AR-15 for home defense.
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

VIP Member
    December issue of Shooting Times has a good article on the Judge. In the article it mentions that in 2009 Federal Premium will introduce two new 2.5" Personal Defense .410 loads designed especially for the Judge. One is a #4 shotshell load. The other is a 000 buckshot load. Both are rated at 1300 fps muzzle velocity.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Just received an e-mail from the folks at "ammunition to go". They were very nice and indicated that the Sellier & Bellot .410 will not fit in "The Judge" because it has a "roll crimp". Winchester, Remington, and Federal have a "star" crimp and will work in "The Judge". They even said I could return the S&B and get my money back. Now that is customer service.....
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    Just received an e-mail from the folks at "ammunition to go". They were very nice and indicated that the Sellier & Bellot .410 will not fit in "The Judge" because it has a "roll crimp". Winchester, Remington, and Federal have a "star" crimp and will work in "The Judge". They even said I could return the S&B and get my money back. Now that is customer service.....
    Good deal. The roll is what was causing my problems, but it was only about 1 in 5 that wouldn't fit. Glad you are getting the problem resolved. I have had two Judges and sold both. In both cases to business owners who wanted to keep it handy at the cash register area. I plan to pick up and UltraLite when I can find one. Right now just about everywhere you go they are out of stock.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Good deal. The roll is what was causing my problems, but it was only about 1 in 5 that wouldn't fit. Glad you are getting the problem resolved. I have had two Judges and sold both. In both cases to business owners who wanted to keep it handy at the cash register area. I plan to pick up and UltraLite when I can find one. Right now just about everywhere you go they are out of stock.
    I picked up a 590A1 last year and was all excited to have 8+1 capacity. I went and started packing shells in the tube: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, seven, seven. Why won't the eighth go in?

S&B with a roll crimp. They are about a 1/4 longer and after 7 (1.75") you can't fit the 8th round. Federal was nice enough to remedy that problem!
    -Biker

Looks like there's more than one reason to stay away from the S&B.
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

Don't use the Wolf brass shells either, they hang up also.

Lightbulb .410 shotshells in Taurus Judge

I have bought both Winchester and Remington brand .410 shotshells for my Taurus Judge and have experienced problems with both brands. Many times it's not the gun...it's the ammunition. The 1st box of Winchester I bought contained 25 shells. 12 of the shells fit and 13 shells did not fit my Judge. The shells came out of the same box, but had a noticeable weight difference. The lighter shells fit while the heavier shells did not. I had less luck with Remington. I only had 3 shells out of a box of 20 that fit. However, in both cases, the manufacturer provided excellence customer service and refunded my money. You basically have to send them a letter explaining that the shells are not uniform. They will refund your money plus the cost of shipping to send them back.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I have the Judge too. I don't understand why everyone wants to keep poo-poohing the .410 for personal defense. No question the .45 has more penetration. But tell me, do you know anyone who's going to stand there and take a few rounds of .410 and keep smiling? I think my fiance has a lot better chance at defending herself by spraying .410 down the hallway than trying to place a single projectile.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I have had this problem, only with older shot shell, probably about 15+ years.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links