How much ammo is enough? - Page 3

How much ammo is enough?

This is a discussion on How much ammo is enough? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bones "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!" or on fire....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much ammo is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"
    or on fire.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Even shooting 100 rounds per weekend is 5200 rounds per year. Given any potential bans, etc, you are looking at a minimum of 20,800 rounds to maintain your training regimin for 4 years or 41,600 if "Change" lasts 8 years. So, to answer the initial poster's question, there is no such thing as enough.

I went to our local "so called" gun show today to stock up. Very disappointed with the two ammo dealers. Ended up ordering Corbon DPX on the web. The website and confirmaion e-mail stated that "due to the political climate" orders will be delayed. My shipment won't leave there until Friday.

After reading your posts, I'm glad that I only own two pistols and a 12 gauge shotgun.

Oh, by the way, what do you consider is a good SD 12 gauge shell? I bought 00 Buckshot. I heard that that will "hurt" when hit.

Most vendors are backordered. Ammoman has gone up $50 per case of 7.62x39 in the last week (I caught it on the way up and placed my order before it peaked).

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    If your having to ask how much........you probably don't have enough......I guess a lot would depend if you are a good shot or do you use the pray and spray method.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    If ammunition is banned or taxed out of production, whatever you have then could be your lifetime supply.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    If ammunition is banned or taxed out of production, whatever you have then could be your lifetime supply.
    If that really happened, we would all probably just stop live-fire practice. 100 rounds will last a long time if the only time you use them is when you are shooting in SD...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    That has been my thinking the past 2 years. Got lots of commercial stuff, stocking up on seperate pieces now. Can put them together anytime in the future when needed.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Who knows what is going to happen after inauguration day? So I just placed another order with CheaperThanDirt that will give me some additional comfort.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

VIP Member
    I believe the old saying is that the only time you have too much ammo is when you are on fire.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

How much ammo is enough???

Hmmm... let's see

1 round more than you need to end the threat. Do you happen to know how many rounds it will take?

I don't either......KEEP BUYING!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Wow just got off the phone with buddy about the same question we are going to dixie gun and knife show this month and stocking up on reloading supplies and ammo. currently I have 1000 rds 5.56 500 30-06 and various boxes in my other calibers and I dont feel currently that I have enough. need a few more rounds for when the Man comes a knockin or zombies run the st.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

VIP Member
    When your wife complains about finding boxes of ammo among her make up things and inside the refrigerator, that might be considred too much.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

when we cant pay our gov. debt back and they send 500,000,000 Chinamen to come and collect you wont have enough.

Ok after reading this thread and reading all the doom and gloom posts and exagerrated "one million rounds" stuff I have a serious question and consideration.

If one were to have say 500 rounds of SD ammo in the calibers they shoot and obviously won't be using that stuff at the range for "practice" all that often, would that be considered a good amount. For example I carry a Glock 19 and have 500 rounds of Federal HST 147gr +p which is my chosen round, I also have a Commander sized 1911 which I sometimes carry and 500 rounds of Federal HST 230gr for it. Considering that I do not regularly shoot my SD ammo, just cycle it every few months or so (shoot the mags that have been loaded and load new ammo), would you consider that to be a decent stockpile? Now obviously when it comes to FMJ rounds for range use, I am buying lots more. Currently at 1,000 rounds of each and buying more so I can then use it for practice. I'm just wondering if anyone actually thinks the average Joe should have more than 500rounds of each of his/her defense loads? Please try not to give the canned responses I've seen so far. I understand the concern for taxation and price hikes or availability concerns, but I'm trying to be realistic.

Does 500 rounds of each caliber in defense rounds and an unknown number of target ammo (numbering in the thousands, perhaps 5,000) seem like a reasonable amount of ammunition for someone who does not go to the range weekly? I honestly shoot 100 rounds a month of each caliber and that's about it. Not a lot of free time these days.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links