How much ammo is enough?

This is a discussion on How much ammo is enough? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Given the future political climate, I see a lot of people stockpiling defensive and target ammo. But how much? I currently have about 400 round ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much ammo is enough?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

How much ammo is enough?

Given the future political climate, I see a lot of people stockpiling defensive and target ammo. But how much? I currently have about 400 round of defensive and about 1000 of target. The target ammo won't get me far, but I don't see going through that much defensive ammo any time soon.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

But how much?
    I've been pondering this myself. The last couple of weeks, my wife and I have been cleaning out every Wally World we can find. I guess enough is when you can't afford anymore. I only plan to get about 500 rounds each, of defensive ammo. As far as target ammo goes, I'll just keep buying it until I can't afford to purchase anymore. I don't know that you can ever have TOO MUCH?
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    right now, all I can afford is not quite enough. That's just my feelings.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    right now, all I can afford is not quite enough. That's just my feelings.
    +1 There better be some left at Wally World next week, or I'll be miffed at somebody! Gun show here next weekend. We'll see.

I'm not going to post a quantity, the number I'll give is four times (4x).

That's what I ordered last month, compared to last year. paranoid
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    I only shot 30,000+ rounds last year.

I do not have enough.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You can never have too much. My stockpile is at an all time low....its so bad that its scary (only 300 rounds of 9mm, about 200 of 12g bird, and maybe 50 .380acp).

If SHTF, I'm pretty much screwed....can't afford to go out on an ammo shopping spree quite yet, but hopefully I'll be able too in the near future.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

dang, and I though I was doing well shooting 100 a weekend

Q. How much is enough?

A. There is no such animal...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I try to have at least 1,000 of each calibre and type. I go to the gun shows and stock up on good cheap primers, powder and bullets. Generally buying in bulk saves you a far bit of money.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    There ain't no such thing as enough or too much ammo. There is such a thing as not enough money to buy ammo, but you can get around that easy. Instead of 184 channels on the tv, get basic and buy a case of ammo on the saved bucks. Instead of eating meat and potatos, get tv dinners, the small type. Then go buy another box of ammo.

There is no such thing as no room for ammo. You have a yard? Everyone can sleep out there so you have a place to store your ammo. You have room under the bed, right? Make the kids sleep under it so you can stack ammo on top of the bed. It would be easier to sell the box springs and mattress and put in a piece of plywood, as the mattress will not let you stack ammo very high before it begins to fall down.

If you have used every available space in the house to keep your ammo in, then you simply need to get a bigger house. There is no such thing as enough or too much ammo. If you are worried about climate changes with ammo in the garage, put the kids in the garage and keep the ammo in a climate controlled place.

You can always sell most of your clothes in a yard sale and buy more ammo. You can only wear one outfit at a time anyway. Get rid of the washer and dryer since you only have one set of clothes to wash and dry. Clean your one set of clothes in the sink and hang outside to dry. With the appliances gone, you can put ammo where the washer and dryer used to be. There is no such thing as enough ammo or too much ammo.

Need more room? She can sleep on the couch and you can stack ammo on her side of the bed. Just put a sheet of plywood on her side you have a good, strong base to start stacking it up. There ain't no such thing as enough or too much ammo. There is always things you can sell to make room for ammo, and to pay for it.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Was this a trick question?? How much can you afford? How much can you put in your dwelling?? How much can you buy before each bullet cost $5,000.00??? (stolen from Chris Rock)
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I ask myself this very question almost every day when I am sitting in front of the reloading bench. Sort of like asking your wife how many pairs of shoes is enough.

(I think I married Imelda Marcos)

"There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I'll let you know when I get there. The problem I see is this, how much can you carry Vs. how much you may need in a bug out situation. If I was like many of our members and lived on some land and not a postage stamp I'd bunker in and wouldn't care how much I have. But since there could be a possibility I would need to split I'd need to make sure I could hump it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links