Defensive Carry banner

Loading blank rounds

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  dukalmighty 
#1 ·
I grew up around guns a lot and am quite familiar with most aspects of carrying, but am just getting around to applying for my permit (with the fiasco on the 4th, I'm not sure how much longer its going to be available ya know?). So, I applied for the permit this past week and am waiting for it. I already decided long ago that my first concealed weapon is going to be a glock 26 (unless someone does some might convincing otherwise) but I have one unresolved question.

I would *like* to load a single blank round as the first round, not only for safety reasons but also I expect that simply having the gun is going to be enough most of the time without firing. If I do have to fire then I'd like a warning shot as well. I'm not squeamish about killing them if I have to( I was planning on going into the military when I was younger, so I've already done a lot of thought about that). However, if its not needed then I wont.

So, since most of my experience is with rifles and shotguns I dont now much about pistols. Is it feasible to buy blank rounds at a reasonable price? I've only done a little bit of searching and haven't found much. Any other thoughts would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 ·
First round blank!!!!!!!!!

DON'T do it!!

Guns are not meant to be noise makers. When you need to fire, you need to fire NOW!

Disabling your gun with a blank will get you killed or at the very
least in very deep trouble with the law. Either way you don't want to
do it.

If you carry a semi-auto, blanks will not allow the gun to fire a second
shot unless the gun has been modified to fire blanks only. In which
case you would not be able to fire a live round through the gun until
you "unmodify" the gun.

If you don't have the mentality that will allow you to use a firearm
in defense of someone's life, don't bother to get a concealed license.
Get yourself a can of pepper spray and hope someone else will be
able defend your life.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Be sure to tell your loved ones what is your favorite flower so they
will know what to send to your funeral.

#4 ·
DON'T do it!!
semi-auto, blanks will not allow the gun to fire a second
shot unless the gun has been modified to fire blanks only. In which
case you would not be able to fire a live round through the gun until
you "unmodify" the gun.
Thanks, I didnt know that. Like I said, I haven't used many pistols/semi-autos, mostly bolt action.

If you aren't committed to using your weapon to stop a threat with the first shot, then you honestly shouldn't be carrying one. We do not draw our weapons to scare people. If the SHTF enough to demand a draw, then it should also demand immediately pulling the trigger until slide lock or the threat is stopped. Owning, carrying, and using a firearm for SD is not a game, and it should not be approached lightly. If the situation demands a gun be drawn and finger on the trigger, then it needs to be sending lead downrange about a millisecond later.

Please go and get some proper SD firearms training, including the legal aspects of SD shootings. Then if you still aren't convinced, I'd recommend OC spray, martial arts, or some other non-firearm SD methods.
I fully intend to do more research and study (hence one reason I'm here and asked). I'm not planning on jumping into it like a game.

As for being ready to kill, I'm hardly the type to hesitate in a crisis. I've intervened (unarmed) in a couple muggings that I've witnessed already and risked my own neck because of that (neonazis really dont like it when you ambush them ambushing others). If the situation calls for it, then so be it.

#3 ·
Oh boy, not this again. VERY bad idea, for multiple reasons.

1. It simply won't work. Semi-autos have to be modified to fire blanks, which precludes firing real ammo while so modified. Otherwise they don't have enough energy to reliably cycle a slide. So you'd never get to the second shot.

2. Warning shots are for the movies, they will get you killed in real life. It's worse than not carrying a round in the chamber.

If you aren't committed to using your weapon to stop a threat with the first shot, then you honestly shouldn't be carrying one. We do not draw our weapons to scare people. If the SHTF enough to demand a draw, then it should also demand immediately pulling the trigger until slide lock or the threat is stopped. Owning, carrying, and using a firearm for SD is not a game, and it should not be approached lightly. If the situation demands a gun be drawn and finger on the trigger, then it needs to be sending lead downrange about a millisecond later.

Please go and get some proper SD firearms training, including the legal aspects of SD shootings. Then if you still aren't convinced, I'd recommend OC spray, martial arts, or some other non-firearm SD methods.

#5 ·
First off, welcome! Glad to see that you've decided to get your permit... wise choice. I will have to add though that blank rounds are a very bad idea. Your life is certainly worth more than depending on a loud noise to be sufficient to bring you through a life and death scenerio. Every morning when you put that holster on you need to be mentally prepared to do what needs to be done. No one wants to have to pull that trigger but you have to be willing to do it should you be forced. The "bad guys" aren't willing to pull punches so you shouldn't be either. On a side note my daily carry is a G26 and I think you are making a great choice there.

#7 ·
I would *like* to load a single blank round as the first round ...
If you're finding a need to bring a firearm to bear in order to guard against loss of life or crippling damage to you or your family, then having a bogus round merely inserts delays into a situation where time can literally be a life-or-death issue. On that basis alone, I believe it's a very bad idea to use blanks.

Question: If going hunting lion in Africa, would you load a blank as your first round? Why or why not?

Question 2: Same question, but in regards to defending against an aggressive two-legged predator.

Consider this: If you deemed it necessary to fire a blank round, it's presumably because you didn't believe it was necessary to kill your attacker, at that time. But, now you have (via the subsequent rounds). Reality is, a firearm is considered a lethal weapon by almost every standard. If so, then why did you even pull the gun in the first place, if it wasn't necessary at that point? If you and your attorney can help untangle the jury's minds over that question, you're luckier than most.

Blanks? I don't recommend it.

#8 ·
"If you're finding a need to bring a firearm to bear in order to guard against loss of life or crippling damage to you or your family, then having a bogus round merely inserts delays into a situation where time can literally be a life-or-death issue. On that basis alone, I believe it's a very bad idea to use blanks.

Question: If going hunting lion in Africa, would you load a blank as your first round? Why or why not?

Question 2: Same question, but in regards to defending against an aggressive two-legged predator."
:theyareontome:

So true. Criminals are predators.

#9 ·
Ok, first welcome to the board and the ccw world.

Second, don't do it, very bad idea for lots of reason, some stated already.

Third, stick around there is a lot of good information on this forum and lots to learn. You will enjoy it, and the members.

#10 ·
There have been several homeowners with guns that felt the mere sight of a gun would cause a burglar etc. to turn tail and run only to have the BG charge them and then shoot them with their own gun.If you pull a gun in self defense you need to have a mindset that you will fire if you feel threatened and don't ever pull a gun unless the situation warrants it and you are prepared to use it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.