Defensive Carry banner

New Ammunition

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Sarge7882 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the new Hornady Critical Defense ammo? It comes in .380 and 9mm, but I have not been able to get my hands on any as of this time. From what I have read about it, this would be an excellant round for my Ruger LCP backup.

#3 ·
Price and Availability?

I could not find this ammo on the Cabela web site.

The first listing for distribution in the retail channel that I've found is MidwayUSA. You can't order it, but you can sign up for email notification.

Price: $18.49 for 25
Date Expected In-Stock: 11/27/2008

MidwayUSA - Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 380 ACP 90 Grain Flex Tip Expanding Box of 25

Product Spec Sheet: http://www.hornady.com/images/sell_sheets/09-critical_defense.pdf

Guns & Ammo article: Critical Defense

#7 ·
#4 ·
Very interesting! FTX bullet huh? Hornady usually seems to be on the cutting edge of ballistics technology anyway.

#6 ·
Flex tip bullets have been used in rifle caliber hunting rounds for awhile now and have been proven reliable for deep penetration and controlled expansion. The only SD bullets I know of using that type technology is the Carbon PowRBall.

Flex tip bullets usually have a higher co-efficiency then hollow points.

#13 ·
I just ordered two boxes of 38 non+P critical defense ammo for my older Colts 1957 Agent and 1967 Cobra. The whole issue behind it is that the nose won't get plugged up and stop it from expanding. It seems to work and if the penetration is 10 inches or more and expands in the snub 38's, it will be a winner. Trying to find a round to replace my ageing Fed Nyclad 38 non +P so that I can get to shoot more. Bought some wadcutters also if the defense ammo doesn't work.

#15 ·
I finally got a box for my .380 today and went directly to the range. Zero malfunctions in the LCP. I took an old blue jean jacket and a large piece of heavy felt to do my own test. I put a gallon jug of water behind the jacket and the round went through both the jacket (2 layers) and the milk jug. For the next shot, I placed the felt (industrial type) between the jacket and the jug. The round made it though all 3 layers of material and the jug. I will do additional tests until I can manage to "catch" a round to see how it holds up. I will also say I felt less recoil with this ammo compared with most others I have used. To be continued.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.