Federal HST amazes...

This is a discussion on Federal HST amazes... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nutz4utwo Shot a few through my Glock just yesterday! Here are some frames from my video camera...see the nice mushroom cloud? First ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal HST amazes...

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Shot a few through my Glock just yesterday! Here are some frames from my video camera...see the nice mushroom cloud?

First photo is UMC 9mm 115 grain
    Second and third are Federal HST 147 grain

I was video recording myself to look for bad habits...these came out, neat!
    Great pix !!!
    How did you record that ? The third frame where you see the gun shooting, then cycling ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Great pix !!!
    How did you record that ? The third frame where you see the gun shooting, then cycling ???
    They are stills taken from my cheapo Canon Digital camera taking video. I have a bad habit of flinching so I try to catch myself on video. The camera records something like 15 frames/second in video mode. It is not that many. I fired around 25 rounds that day and some frames caught the muzzle flash like you see, but most caught the action cycling or even nothing at all...

There is also a newcomer on the block. Hornady is making a "Critical Defense" round in .380, 9mm, .38 SPL. and 357 Magnum. I am looking and hoping for it to come out in .45 ACP, as this looks like one extremely fine round for self defense. More info and a short video on how this bullet works at Hornady Manufacturing, Inc. click on Critical Defense.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
    There is also a newcomer on the block. Hornady is making a "Critical Defense" round in .380, 9mm, .38 SPL. and 357 Magnum. I am looking and hoping for it to come out in .45 ACP, as this looks like one extremely fine round for self defense. More info and a short video on how this bullet works at Hornady Manufacturing, Inc. click on Critical Defense.
    Interesting. A pre-plugged hollow point.

Well when they come available, it is now someones responsibility to get a test done up. I do not have a small caliber handgun, otherwise I'd do it.

Looks like we need to stick with the DC standard of using water jugs since most of us do not have access or the desire to make gelatin.

Having seen the video, I am impressed, but I still want to see a side by side with HST. I may even have to hit goodwill and grab some winter type clothing and dress up a jug (I have faith in the multiple LEO agency tests, though none of them shot a pillow, just 4 layers of denim).

Price point is another matter. HST are $25 per 50ct in .40 (half the price of Hydrashocks).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Has anyone tried the Powerball?

Pow'RBall by Glaser, LLC.

Or the Winchester Ranger Talons (the "Talons" indicates LEO only):

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/td...nger_Talon_LEO

According to Winchester the Talons are legal to own but out of principal they don't sell them to civilians.

Here's a link for the test results of the various size rounds: http://www.winchester.com/lawenforce...win_flash.html

I ordered ammo (9mm HST, and others) from Ammunition To Go on Nov 14th and they will arrive tomorrow, Dec 1st

Not near as bad as an AR15 lower receiver or a Texas CHL.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    It looks like ATG is out of 9mm HST 147g. Anybody else carry it?

Sticks, they are available now at Cheaper than Dirt.
    56780 - .380 Auto Hornady Critical Defense Handgun Cartridge, 90-Grain FTX Bullet, 1000 fps, 25 Rounds per Box for the .380 stuff.
    Vern

Proud of them - $$$.

The only caliber they have that I can shoot is the 44 rem mag, and it is not stout enough to run through my Desert Eagle, that and it is out of stock, no back order.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

HST testing

124gr rounds were found to have lost mass due to fragmentation (lost 4 of 6 petals). Each round held a bit of gel so some were recovered with over 100% of starting weight. The 147 gr rounds did not loose any petals.
    Attached Images

Cor-Bon is probably one of the most unusual and best

I have shot and recoverd the Cor-Bon DPX all copper bullet in both the .380 and the .45 ACP caliber. John Farnam has this to say about it (John Farnham is a noted self defense insturctor)

"10Apr06

Pistol Bullet Performance:

The last time we did a bullet performance test was during a course in PA early last year. At that time, friend and colleague, Mike Shovel from Cor- Bon brought out huge blocks of ballistic gelatin, and we shot them with a variety of commercially-available, high-performance pistol ammunition.

We required each bullet to first penetrate four layers of denim before entering the gelatin. At that time, we discovered that denim retarded and frustrated the expansion of a number of conventional, hollow-point bullets. In bare gelatin, most expanded just fine, but the denim barrier presented a problem for all but a few.

Last weekend, again in PA, Mike joined us once more for an Advanced Defensive Pistol Course, The gelatin tests continued:

Many commented last time that they wondered what effect a heavy, leather jacket would have on pistol-bullet performance and penetration. So, this time we required each bullet to penetrate a leather jacket AND four layers of denim before entering the gelatin. Each student subjected his own carry ammunition to the test. Here is what we found:

The combination of leather and denim frustrated most conventional, hollow-points. Most traversed the gelatin with badly-compromised expansion . Some did not expand at all. Even Cor-Bon's vaunted PowerBall (45ACP, out of my Detonics) did not do well in this test. I was surprised, as few rounds will out-expand PowerBall, but the layers of clothing, combined with the Detonic s' short barrel, conspired to thwart performance.

The one round that expanded consistently and completely, despite the leather and denim barrier, in all calibers, was Cor-Bon's DPX! DPX, in 40S &W, 45ACP, 357SIG, 38Super, and 45AutoRim, were all unimpressed by the leather and denim. Even 380Auto DPX, out of my little Kel-Tec, was immune. It expanded symmetrically and completely, penetrating nine inches of gelatin, after penetrating the clothing.

I am more persuaded than ever that DPX provides superior performance in the widest spectrum of circumstances, consistently outperforming any other bullet of which I am aware.

/John "

I do have pictures.. always good to have an example or two.
    Cor-Bon 185 gr .45 , Federal Hydra-Shok .45 ; then the Cor-Bon 80 gr. .380 and the Remington Golden Saber 102 gr. .380 gr bullets.
    Attached Images
    Vern

Priced better than Pow'R Ball. I'm very interested in checking out benchmarks for the new Critical Defense round.

Thanks for the link.

Is there a marketing or a technical reason for why it's currently not being offered in .45?
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

What I've heard is that they are improving on the smaller calibers ability to expand. .45 is already pre-expanded. LOL
    Vern

Got an email from Hornady. They will eventually be coming out with a round for the .45 ACP..... They are working on the tooling now as I speak.
    Vern

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links