Federal HST amazes...

Federal HST amazes...

This is a discussion on Federal HST amazes... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a box of Federal 9mm 124 Gr. HST from Tactical Defense Solutions because I had heard about how great it was. Now, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal HST amazes...

Federal HST amazes...

I bought a box of Federal 9mm 124 Gr. HST from Tactical Defense Solutions because I had heard about how great it was. Now, I am no ballistics expert but wanted to shoot it and recover the bullet to see the expansion. I just used the old gallon jug filled with water deal this morning. The bullet passed through 3 jugs and almost penetrated the 4th. Recovered the bullet from the jug and I'm telling you it was a thing of beauty! It looked exactly like the pictures from Federal. I had no idea it would be this perfect. You could not have drawn a better picture of how the petals expanded. I had been carrying Hydra-Shoks in my G26 up to this point as I thought they were top notch. Needless to say my mags have been restocked. The only other test I have been able to do (due to lack of empty gallon jugs... hey, I can only drink milk and orange juice so fast so give me a break) was with my Kel-Tec P3AT and 90 Gr. Hydra-Shoks. The bullet did expand but the petals were not uniform at all and expansion was not even close to the HST. I'm sure a lot of people already know this stuff but I was caught off guard by this product. In my book there is certainly a new sheriff in town.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Not a great picture at all but I think you can see the difference in the 9mm HST at the top and the .380 Hydra-Shok at the bottom. Again, sorry about the picture quality.
    Attached Images
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

They are amazing rounds, switched a few month ago and no going back!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Don't know how true it is but on one of the other forums they say cheaper than dirt and others are receiving letters from Federal to stop selling to civilians?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    Don't know how true it is but on one of the other forums they say cheaper than dirt and others are receiving letters from Federal to stop selling to civilians?
    Wow, I had not heard that. I did kind of wonder what Federal would think of it though. Looks like ammunitiontogo.com has pretty much all calibers in stock. Sounds like an excuse to buy some more to me The performance is well worth it for around $20.00 (50 round box).
    Allen

I've got the 9mm 147 and my Glocks love it.

Yeah its a good thing civilians can no longer get it. I've heard they are "cop killer bullets" and that some guys put'm in their guns and just stark rave'n mad look'n for an LEO to shoot!!

Good to know... I just ordered 2 boxes from TDS as well. How long did it take to receive from them? (Just curious)

Quote Originally Posted by cv7713 View Post
    Good to know... I just ordered 2 boxes from TDS as well. How long did it take to receive from them? (Just curious)
    I placed my order on 11/4 and received it on 11/8... can't beat that.
    Allen

Bought my HST's at the gun show. .40 caliber. Have not retrieved any bullets, but really like the way they "feel" when shooting them.

May need to buy a few boxes more.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I had did some testing myself with soaked phone books. I agree, the HST is amazing. It has more expansion then gold dots but I carry the gold dots because they are more accurate out of my G26.

Left to right, HST, Gold Dot, and PMC Starfire
    Attached Images

In my Keltec sub2000 9mm w/ 33rnd clip I alternated Speer GD, Federal HST, and Corbon DPX...Figured that would cover all my bases... But the HST always performed excellent!

AEA
    I just bought 500 rounds of the HST from Ammunition to go. I got the 230gr .45ACP +P for the same price as standard power.

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    I bought a box of Federal 9mm 124 Gr. HST from Tactical Defense Solutions because I had heard about how great it was. Now, I am no ballistics expert but wanted to shoot it and recover the bullet to see the expansion. I just used the old gallon jug filled with water deal this morning. The bullet passed through 3 jugs and almost penetrated the 4th. Recovered the bullet from the jug and I'm telling you it was a thing of beauty! It looked exactly like the pictures from Federal. I had no idea it would be this perfect. You could not have drawn a better picture of how the petals expanded. I had been carrying Hydra-Shoks in my G26 up to this point as I thought they were top notch. Needless to say my mags have been restocked. The only other test I have been able to do (due to lack of empty gallon jugs... hey, I can only drink milk and orange juice so fast so give me a break) was with my Kel-Tec P3AT and 90 Gr. Hydra-Shoks. The bullet did expand but the petals were not uniform at all and expansion was not even close to the HST. I'm sure a lot of people already know this stuff but I was caught off guard by this product. In my book there is certainly a new sheriff in town.
    I had the EXACT same experience with the 147gr HST's (through 3 jugs with a dent in the 4th.

Plus I have fired over 400 in my Glock and Sig and have not had a single problem.

I am SOLD on HST!

just got 1000 rds of them in 45 +P i plan some wet newspaper testing when i can on them in a 3,4,5 inch 1911 as well as speer gold dots for comprison

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links