.380 or .38?

.380 or .38?

This is a discussion on .380 or .38? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 380 now and am thinking about getting a .38 snubbie,how does each stack up for defense?thanks.sj...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .380 or .38?

.380 or .38?

I have a 380 now and am thinking about getting a .38 snubbie,how does each stack up for defense?thanks.sj

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Pretty sure that 38spl+p is generally considered a better round.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

It's a topic that has been widely debated.

I wouldn't want to get shot by either one. Just carry what you're comfortable with and can consistently hit with.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    IMHO, it is a matter of how well you can shoot/conceal/control/etc. one over the other. Personally, though I have carried both, I am more proficient with an automatic than I am a revolver. Reliability of the firearm and your ability with it are as much or more important than what round it holds.

Add the snubbie to your collection, then you can carry either or both.
    What do you like? What are you more accurate with? Which is easier to carry?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I have a 380 now and am thinking about getting a .38 snubbie,how does each stack up for defense?thanks.sj
    Both will work, if you can hit what you are shooting at! Buy the .38, then get out and shoot both. The .38 has more recoil, but delivers more foot pounds of energy, because it is the larger bullet. The .380 will get the job done, but remember that since it does not deliver the same energy, penitration is key. I personally would carry either gun, but would shoot only ball ammo in .380, it will give you better penitration, than a hollow point, if it expands.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I cant say for certain about the penetration, but I had a fellow that worked for me a few years ago that was shot in the back of the head at very close range with a 380FMJ. No exit wound!!!!!!

He was dead before he hit the ground of course.

shot in the back of the head at very close range with a 380FMJ. No exit wound
    On Oct 2, 1996 I was leading our SWAT team on an entry to arrest a federal fugitive who we were pretty certain was armed. He had stated he would not be taken alive. When we hit the door he opened fire on us with a TEC-9 in one hand and a Colt Mustang .380 in the other. Both were loaded with FMJ ammo. He fired 11 rds at us preventing us from making entry. He then shot himself in the head with the .380. The bullet entered just in front of his upper right ear, traveled thru his head, exited behind his upper left ear, went thru 4" of the arm of an over-stuffed chair, went thru drywall at an angle which meant it passed thru almost 2" of drywall, and came to rest buried about 1" in a 2X4 wood stud. DRT.
    183 FBINA

If you are thinking about a snubbie, I would look at a .357 instead of the .38. The reason being with the .357 you can slide up and down the power scale. With the .38 you can go up to +P in some models, but I figure why limit yourself?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Like others have said, which can you shoot better?

Which will you carry more, or would you carry one and leave one at home. If that is the case go with the one you would carry regardless of which is more effective.

The 38+P will have between 30 and 50 ft lbs more energy out of the shorter barrels, so it should be more effective if you look at it that way. But nothing is written in stone.

As some others have said, two guns give you more options to carry. Neither one is considered the best self defense round, but I don't think you will find any members here volunteering to be shot by either.

I like mcp1810's idea of using a .357 if you can find one in a small enough platform to suit you. That definately gives you more options.

Good luck in your search. Handle as many as you can find one that fits, feels good that is going to be a reliable weapon.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    What Retsupt said.

The 380 I have is a LCP and it goes in my right front pocket,I don't leave home without it.I carry it when I don't feel like carrying my glock 19.I guess I'm just getting an urge to get a snubbie,I've never owned one and would probably still throw the lcp in for quick trips to the store and back.sj

I carry a compact 40 and a kel-tec 380 for backup, I leave home without the 40 a lot but I never leave the 380, I dont even know I have it. weighs less than my knife. my wife has a 2" .38 ultra light in her purse I think is is as hard to cary as my 40.

jfl
    My wife has a SW .357 Scandium in 3" barrel.
    The extra inch does not make it more difficult to carry and make a substantial difference in velocity/energy, weighs 14 oz. unloaded.

I hate to shoot it with .357 loads, but it is OK with .38+P; it is nice to have the option.
    We had different snubbies in .38 but this one tops them all.

However, I'll stick to my G-26
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I have both ,but I like the 380 better
    If I were to be faced with buying a new
    .38 I would not do it again,instead I would
    buy an assortment of 380 ammo and
    practice, practice,,practice
    just my .02
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links