7.62x39mm in Urban Environment

This is a discussion on 7.62x39mm in Urban Environment within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would be the best 7.62x39mm round for home defense in an urban setting (ie neighbors houses within 25ft or so on the left and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39mm in Urban Environment

7.62x39mm in Urban Environment

What would be the best 7.62x39mm round for home defense in an urban setting (ie neighbors houses within 25ft or so on the left and right of my house) FMJ is out of the question, im questioning Winchester, Federal, Remington soft point ammo, and does anyone know about Glaser Safety Slugs out of a rifle? Ive heard stories of not getting the job done, but those were from pistols I believe.
    I realize the 7.62x39 is by no means the best caliber for the urban setting, but its all thats currently available.
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

CorBon make a 123gr DPX load for the 7.62x39 for hunting. I've also heard that the surplus 124gr HP's are similar in performance. I have some Norinco soft-points, forget what grain weight. Rifle calibers like this still go over 2000fps and hollow point cavities are very small in diameter. You may want to look into frangible ammo, there is an EBR subsonic load with 220gr bullet, as well as the Extreme Shock ammo available. Those are some rather expensive options however.
    http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM...9/0310838.html
    http://www.frangiblebullets.com/reload/index.html
    http://www.ssgtactical.com/index.html?EBRAmmunition

American ammunition manufacturers have kind of ignored 7.62x39mm. CorBon's DPX loading was the first really high performance load to come out in the caliber. It's a great round as far as terminal effect goes, but if you're trying to avoid penetration, it's probably not a good choice. DPX is better at penetrating layered barriers than most FMJ loads.

In an urban setting when the SHTF, I'm not going to worry about bullet type, caliber, or any other obstacles to defend my family/home. That's assuming that roving bands of dirtbags are running wild.
    Of course no one wants a bullet to go through a wall or down the street into someone else's home...anarchy/urban riot situation and war could be a real hell.

In a home invasion situation, I am aware of which directions are better for all concerned...I would always try to plan for that, but a man's gotta' do what a man's gotta do....

Which would you choose, a bullet possibly going into a neighbor's house, or the life of one of your children because BG's are trying to get into your home?

There is a fine line in trying to determine which caliber type will go through clothing and the BG, but not a neighbor's window or wall.

I know my choice.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I am more concerned with under penatration than over.

I want the ability to shoot through the interior walls of my house to get the BG who might be on the other side.

If a BG is in my house I will defend my family and do whatever is nessecary to stop the threat. My immediate concern is my family, everything else is secondary.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I use the same ammo for home defence that I do for hunting. 154gr SP Wolf
    The Sportsman's guide Shooters catalog list it : box of 20=$4.72, 500 rnds=$117.97, 1,000 rnds=$229.97. Muzzle velocity(F.P.S.)2,104, Muzzle Energy (ft.-lbs.)=1,513.

Senior Moderator
    Dont discount the FMJ for urban settings because that is exactly what it is designed for.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It's being used in urban environments all over the world every day.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Moderator
    It's being used in urban environments all over the world every day

Yep.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

M2
    There are numerous better weapons for home defense. I would use my 12-gauge Mossberg before I would use my AK. Things would have to be real bad (e.g. looting and rioting) to justify the use of an AK...

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    There are numerous better weapons for home defense. I would use my 12-gauge Mossberg before I would use my AK. Things would have to be real bad (e.g. looting and rioting) to justify the use of an AK...

Cheers! M2
    Things can turn real bad in a hurry.

The myth of a 12 gauge shotgun clearing a hallway has long been proved a lie. Pattern spread in the length of a house is minimal. I'll take the 30 rounds of an AK over the five rounds of a shotgun anytime.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I am a big fan of rifles for home defense and keep an AR next to the bed, but I would not be in favor of using a 7.62x39. I have two in that caliber and they are great, but there is too much penetration in that round for my liking. I would use a handgun first if possible. If that is the only gun you have, I would definately load it up with some SP's to try and reduce penetration through barriers.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Black's Law Dictionary defines recklessness in American law as "Conduct whereby the actor does not desire harmful consequence but...foresees the possibility and consciously takes the risk," or alternatively as "a state of mind in which a person does not care about the consequences of his or her actions." Black's Law dictionary 1053 (Bryan A. Garner ed., 8th ed. abr. 2005). In American courts, a wrongdoer who recklessly causes harm can be held to the same liability as a person who intentionally does so.

Also being a holder of a concealed weapons permit I am sure should a round penetrate and do harm to your neighbor that you would be held to a higher standard.

So do yourself a favor and use a shotgun, and be sure of your target before you pull that trigger.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    So do yourself a favor and use a shotgun, and be sure of your target before you pull that trigger.
    A shogun is not a panacea as far as overpenetration is concerned. Bucksho goes through drywall like a hot knife through butter. I think a .223 with frangible ammo is the best compromise between terminal effect and avoiding overpenetration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links