Ammo for G19

Ammo for G19

This is a discussion on Ammo for G19 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being new to the Glock owners club, I have looked over the manual and this is what I am getting out of it. G19 Maximum ...

Thread: Ammo for G19

Ammo for G19

Being new to the Glock owners club, I have looked over the manual and this is what I am getting out of it. G19

Maximum velocity allowed is 1137.5 fps, maximum energy allowed 361 ft lbs. So does that mean you can not shoot many of the SD rounds out of a Glock?

In my Taurus' I use Speer GD +P, with a velocity of 1220 fps and an energy of 410 fps with the 124 gr bullet.

I have for the mean time bought some Federal Hydro Shocks for the Glock to keep it within what I read as the specs for this gun.

Am I reading this correctly? Should I stay away from the +P ammo and stick with the Hydro Shocks?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

That's in the owners manual!? Glocks are good for +P last I knew. I like the Speer GDHP's myself. The Remington Golden Sabers are in the mix as well as some CorBon loads.

Based on the chart in the manual it says the bullet velocity is 350 meters per second, and the energy is 490 jules.

There is an * that says based on ammunition used. That is what has my bum fuzzled. Is that saying don't exceed that, or is it saying that is what should be expected with regular commercial ammo?

I wouldn't have thought that the Glock would be less capable than my Taurus'. And somewhere on here I have read not to use lead cast bullets, only jacketed. I assume that Rainier lead safe are ok to use. Yes, I read about the reloads voiding the warranty.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm doing over 1400fps, 600 ft pounds with a 147gr Gold Dot out of a G32. I can't believe there is that much difference between the two guns.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

AZ, the book says the g32 should be at 1365 fps, and 528 ft lbs of energy. So I am going to assume, that that is with regular commercial ammo, you should expect that performance. And it is not saying don't exceed those limits. Well since yours hasn't blown up shooting the hotter loads.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yep, those figures are Double Tap through my chrony. They don't say it's quite that hot, but that's probably for legal reasons. With the 147gr Gold Dots, it's an impressive load!

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Like Ram Rod said glocks are rated for +p. I used Winchester Ranger T's 127 +p+. Hotter than crap and no gun explosion...yet
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Most Glock KA-BOOMS are related to incorrectly reloaded ammo and predominately with the .40 S&W caliber.

I carried a first gen glock 19 for over 15 years and used a bunch (over 20,000 )of reloads 115 JHP with 5.1 grains of 231 without a problem, your mileage may very.

Off of the winchester loading data site Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

115 GR. SPR GDHP Winchester 231 .355" 1.125" 4.7 1075 25,300 CUP 5.1 1167 28,100 CUP

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    .. And somewhere on here I have read not to use lead cast bullets, only jacketed. ...
    I don't own a Glock, but surprised that's not in the manual. Just like Kahr, Glock uses polygonal rifling in the barrel, which lead bullets foul quickly. Not just making it dirty, but actually decreasing the diameter as the lead build up, thus causing higher bore pressure. Kahr warns against lead bullets.

But many Glock and Kahr folks say they do shoot lead with no probs, but they will use boresnake or similar every 50-100 rounds during range session.

Actually, I haven't found many places to even get 9mm lead head cartridges, usually just remanufactured stuff like UltraMax from Dicks or Cabellas, etc.

- OS

I don't think I've ever heard of kabooms except for the .40 Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    There is an * that says based on ammunition used. ... Is that saying don't exceed that, or is it saying that is what should be expected with regular commercial ammo?
    Looking in my G19 manual, I see the table you mentioned under the heading "Technical Data". It's clearly just talking about typical numbers to expect. The only place I see any mention about what ammunition to use is on page 15 in red text, as follows.

"Only use high quality commercially manufactured ammunition, in excellent condition and in the caliber of your pistol. Glock does not recommend the use of unjacketed lead ammunition... The use of reloaded ammunition will void the Glock warranty, due to the unpredictability of the standards adhered to, since reloads of poor quality ammunition may not meet specifications, may exceed limits, and therefore may be unsafe."

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard of kabooms except for the .40 Glocks.
    Same here.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about using +p in a Glock.

-Jeff-

Sponsored Links