What weight bullet .40 cal - Page 2

What weight bullet .40 cal

This is a discussion on What weight bullet .40 cal within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use Gold Dot 155, it has higer velocity so it transfers more energy than the other two until you get to about 50 yards....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What weight bullet .40 cal

I use Gold Dot 155, it has higer velocity so it transfers more energy than the other two until you get to about 50 yards.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I looked at the data for lighter .40cal bullets and you are looking at M/V, energy near the 357Sig, I will try to rustle up some data later.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I personally prefer the lighter weights. One of my CCW .40s has 155gr Gold Dot in the magazine and spares. Another has 135gr Cor Bon in it and the 155 GD in the spares. I've never been a fan of the whole subsonic ammo thing in 9 or .40. I prefer the energy of the light and fast stuff. There will be plenty of penetration, especially with the Gold Dot design.
    +1 on the Cor Bon 135 Grain

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'm not a .40 fan, but will share what I've learned in years of .45 shooting. The shorter the barrel, the lighter the bullet weight for maximum performance. Remember, you MUST contact the gun maker to find their recommendations for recoil spring weight. It differs greatly with length and bullet power/weight.
    +1 See above 1325 FPS at 526 FP

Quote Originally Posted by old deaf coach View Post
    There was a study done some yrs ago which blessed the .357 mag w/ 125 gr bullets as THE BEST instant stopping combo. That study has since been discredited due to statistical errors. The last definitive study I've heard of was done by the FBI w/ the basic conclusion that the deaper the penetration of a handgun bullet the greater the damage & subsequent blood loss. A determined attacker doesn't stop until they pass out & blood loss to the brain is the typical cause. All this would TEND to suggest the heavier bullet is best, however other important considerations include how u & ur gun shoot different bullets ??? No absolute answer....I go w/ 180 grs. Good luck.
    I was just posting on another thread about the FBI's Firearm Training Unit Research publication, Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness. It is a very good read.

HWFE
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I would look at the following rounds:

Barnes all-copper bullets (140 & 155gr) loaded by: Cor-Bon (DPX40140)

Winchester Ranger 180gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester Ranger 165gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165gr JHP (RA401P)

Winchester Bonded 180gr JHP (Q4355)

Speer Gold Dot 155gr JHP (53961)
    Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP (53962)

Federal Tactical 165gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Federal Tactical 180gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Federal HST 180gr JHP (P40HST1)

Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

All the above have been tested by Dr. Roberts and passed the FBI testing. Now you must figure out what what you like to shoot, what you can afford to shoot, and what your carry firearm likes to shoot. I would test 200-500 rounds and expect zero problems.

I'm a bit extreme in the fact that not only do I test function of the round in my carry weapon, but I use my shooting chrony and do shoot into BG (I use gelatin innovations).

I ran a search and low and behold, this thread is what I had planned to ask.

I am new to the .40 round, but after feeding 100rds through my USPc I am in LOVE. I shot Blazer 180gr and didn't notice any of the excessive muzzle flip most complain about .40s having.

Would going to a lighter load with more velocity serve to make for a more pronounced/snappy muzzle flip?

I was going to purchase some Ranger 180gr rds as I carry them in my other carry guns (9mm +P and .45 +P), but then got to wondering how important that muzzle energy is and if I would be doing myself a dis-service by opting for the heavier 180grain loads.

The reason I am leaning towards 180 is that I was dead-nuts on with the practice rounds through the USPc...exact point of aim is where my shots were landing and obviously would want to replicate that confidence in a SHTF situation.

Thanks!
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I use 165 gr for SD and either 155 or 165 for target practice. Tried 180 gr and didn't like it.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I use 165 gr for SD and either 155 or 165 for target practice. Tried 180 gr and didn't like it.
    What didn't you like about 180 and why do you prefer the 165/155?
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    What didn't you like about 180 and why do you prefer the 165/155?
    In my case I feel a different type of recoil with the 180 gr, plus I shoot the 165 gr better/more accurately.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

It's hard to find a "bad" load in .40 S & W.

Posted by R.E.Lee:
    I am new to the .40 round, but after feeding 100rds through my USPc I am in LOVE. I shot Blazer 180gr and didn't notice any of the excessive muzzle flip most complain about .40s having.
    I like the 180's because it seems to give me less muzzle flip too. It also seems to shoot POA/POI in my Browning. I'm changing the sights this week, so I'll have to see if the 180"s still shoot POA/POI. If they do, I'm sticking with them. If not, I've got a case of 155 grain JHP's from Federal I can put in the gun.

Biker

couple weeks ago I did jus tthis experiment. I got a box of 155 and 180 grain HSTs (.40). I couldn't tell the difference. I used a Glock 27 and Sig 229. I shot equally well/bad with either and didn't feel a difference even when loading a magazine alternating the two. Both shot reliably.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I suppose the best way to determine the answer to this is to take a preferred brand, and test all the weights they offer in ballistics gel at point blank, 3 feet, 6 feet , 12, and 21, chart the results and see what you get.

If the final result is w/i an inch of each other, then you are down to how any particular weight feels when you shoot and how accurate you are with that round.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Thanks Guys!

I might end up restocking with both 165 and 180 practice rounds. Just to see what fits me better.

I have been shooting WWB 180's through my Kahr CW-40.
    Flawless during the breakin period.

I had a FTE after loading my first mag full of Speer Gold Dot 165 it was on the 5th round. So now I am going to be testing various HP ammo for reliability. I was at the end of shooting 100 rounds when I swithced to the Gold Dots so I am hoping it was me that was the problem.
    Ruger Police Service Six 4" .357
    Kahr CW-40

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    It's hard to find a "bad" load in .40 S & W.
    Quite right, but 155 gr. Double Tap is one of the great treats of our time.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

VIP Member
    I would carry the 155 if I had a choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links