What weight bullet .40 cal

This is a discussion on What weight bullet .40 cal within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of shooting Speer Gold dot out of my Kahr CW40 pistol. What weight would you guys recommend and why? 155gr 165gr 180gr...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What weight bullet .40 cal

I am thinking of shooting Speer Gold dot out of my Kahr CW40 pistol. What weight would you guys recommend and why?

155gr
    165gr
    180gr

Subscribing as I want to hear this one, I have often asked myself what is 1 weight over another.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    I can't speak specifically for the Kahr, but I have a lighter weight compact .40 and much prefer 165 gr. I don't think I have tried the 155 only because for some reason, no one hear seems to carry it.

Blazer once produced a 125 gr .40. I loved it. But it hasn't been in production for years.

Best bet, buy a box of each, go to the range, see what feels best in your hands. I'd not worry about the finer points of ballistics, penetration, and so forth. You'll use a Kahr only in the gravest extreme and up close--just buy a good brand name defensive ammo that your gun eats.

i was reloading the 180 gr for a time. did several hundred rounds. but i did not like the why it shot, no matter the powder and how i loaded it. change over to the 165gr. to me a much better bullet,,, shoots better than the 180gr. i carry factory 165gr in my guns. for some reason the 165gr shoots better in my glocks, both factory and/or reloads.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have a SIG P239 in .40S&W, so it's a small (thought not as light as the size would indicate) gun. I use 180gr FMJ for practice and 180gr Federal HST for carry rounds. I love the way the gun shoots with that bullet weight. It is tremendously accurate and very manageable.

I also know I have a preference for heavier bullets, so I didn't shoot a lot of 165gr in this gun before settling on 180gr.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I personally prefer the lighter weights. One of my CCW .40s has 155gr Gold Dot in the magazine and spares. Another has 135gr Cor Bon in it and the 155 GD in the spares. I've never been a fan of the whole subsonic ammo thing in 9 or .40. I prefer the energy of the light and fast stuff. There will be plenty of penetration, especially with the Gold Dot design.

Thanks guys. I have ran 200 rounds of 185 gr FMJ from Blazer and PMC through the Kahr with no problems. 150 went through it Sat with some being shot one handed and weak one handed with no feed problems. Just looking for a good carry load and would prefer shooting something that I can find cheep practice rounds in the same weight.

I live in a rual area. I feel very comfortable with the 165 flat nose FMJ in my Kahr P40. They shoot to point of aim for my P40, they have never jammed in my gun, they have better stopping power than round nose ammo and they are cheaper than hollow points. I have shot a couple deer injured by cars. The 40 worked a lot better than the four deer I shot with my 380 using hollow points. I belive the flat points are a better choice for me. If I carred in a very populated area I may go with the 165gr hollow point.

My daily carry is a 40 S&W (Sig 239 SAS) and I own 3 other guns in the same caliber. I've come to believe that the 165 gr. rounds are the best choice for a defensive handgun. The heaviest bullets in a given caliber don't usually prove to be superior until extreme ranges become necessary. Since a defensive handgun is most likely to be used at 25 yds. or less (probably 7 yards or less), energy is more important to me than weight and in almost all cases, the 165 gr. ammo produces more muzzle energy than the 180 gr. rounds. The ONLY 165 gr. ammo I don't recommend is the Federal 165 gr. Hydra-Shok. For some reason, Federal has chosen to hog-tie this round with only 352 ft.lbs. of energy compared to 447 ft.lbs. for the 155 gr. and 400 ft.lbs. for the 180 gr. in the same ammo line.

I personally carry either:
    165 gr. Remington Golden Sabers -- 485 ft.lbs.
    155 gr. Winchester Ranger -- 502 ft.lbs.
    165 gr. Federal Premium Tactical HST -- 468 ft.lbs. (this is my current carry ammo)

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    I personally like 165 gr. Federal HST. But the only real answer for this question is shoot some of all 3 weights, see which one your gun handles the best and go with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

In a 40 s&w it would be 165 grain.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I'm not a .40 fan, but will share what I've learned in years of .45 shooting. The shorter the barrel, the lighter the bullet weight for maximum performance. Remember, you MUST contact the gun maker to find their recommendations for recoil spring weight. It differs greatly with length and bullet power/weight.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Powhs View Post
    I live in a rual area. I feel very comfortable with the 165 flat nose FMJ in my Kahr P40. They shoot to point of aim for my P40, they have never jammed in my gun, they have better stopping power than round nose ammo and they are cheaper than hollow points. I have shot a couple deer injured by cars. The 40 worked a lot better than the four deer I shot with my 380 using hollow points. I belive the flat points are a better choice for me. If I carred in a very populated area I may go with the 165gr hollow point.
    That's an interesting concept I hadn't thought about. I practice with 180gr, and currently carry the 180gr GDHP in my G22, and 165gr Golden Sabers in the G27. I have two boxes of 135gr CorBon HP's that I have never tried. I'd be real interested to see some tests on those FMJ's in the 40S&W as they are flat nosed, and I don't figure heavy clothing would withstand such as HP's where plugging of the hollow point might be an issue. The FMJ's would be all penetration without expansion, and I figure at being a faster mover than the 45acp might very well deliver a crushing blow better than other things discussed here. Just pondering a bit.

New Member Array old deaf coach's Avatar
    There was a study done some yrs ago which blessed the .357 mag w/ 125 gr bullets as THE BEST instant stopping combo. That study has since been discredited due to statistical errors. The last definitive study I've heard of was done by the FBI w/ the basic conclusion that the deaper the penetration of a handgun bullet the greater the damage & subsequent blood loss. A determined attacker doesn't stop until they pass out & blood loss to the brain is the typical cause. All this would TEND to suggest the heavier bullet is best, however other important considerations include how u & ur gun shoot different bullets ??? No absolute answer....I go w/ 180 grs. Good luck.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    6 one way, half a dozen the other... Try all 3 and see what shoots the best out your gun. I personally like the 180 Gr. Gold Dots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links