9mm vs .45 No I'm not crazy.

This is a discussion on 9mm vs .45 No I'm not crazy. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; oo( aint them engineers the same folks who maintain a bumblebee cannot fly aerodynamicly ?? )...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9mm vs .45 No I'm not crazy.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    oo( aint them engineers the same folks who maintain a bumblebee cannot fly aerodynamicly ?? )

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter
    Every Engineer will tell you how "it works" on paper.

The field is another animal all together.

"In theory, theory works. In practice, it don't." - Yogi Berra
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    its all the old saying " shoot small , miss small , shoot large " well you get the idea
    But, if you miss with that 9mm, you may just nick him with the .45.
    See .45 always wins

Old argument,, and it seems to always get cross with millitary vs civilan carry.

Millitary hands down 45 is better, just due to the fmj rules in place

Civilan, its a toss up, use the best jhp going and place it where it counts

Administrator

Every Time

Every new decade (or so) when I think the 9mm VS .45 debate is all "played out" ~ it rears its ugly little head again.

Ignorance is the fuel that burns long after the spark is struck.

You guys have it all wrong.

I carry a .45 or a 9mm, but everybody knows .40 S&W makes the bad guy vanish in cloud of red mist.
    The Marshmallowist

new guy

myself i think it's all about shot placement !!! but that being said not to long ago there was a guy walking down the street in dearborn mi . that was hit seven times in the chest with a .380 and walked 1/4 mile to call for help he did die. but he was able to walk that far . myself i shoot cor bon .45 230 gr +p jhp in my kimber at 950 fps and 461ft/lbs with that kind of energy if you hit some one in the arm or leg it's going to dismember them . centermass there not getting up

Quote Originally Posted by jtmaxx
    myself i shoot cor bon .45 230 gr +p jhp in my kimber at 950 fps and 461ft/lbs with that kind of energy if you hit some one in the arm or leg it's going to dismember them . centermass there not getting up
    Tell me, have you ever gone hunting by any chance? While I agree that your Cor-Bons will undoubtedly do more damage than a .380, I really don't think they'll dismember anyone nor are they a guaranteed stop if you hit COM. That +p .45 is positively anemic compared to the 165 gr .308 that I shoot whitetails with. The .308 has 2671 lb/ft. of energy at the muzze. I've made several good COM hits on deer with that rifle and trust me, they often get back up and run like mad for at least 50-100 yards before they go down. If a deer can do it, so can a man. Most men won't, because they have the intelligence to realize that they've been shot and stop fighting out of fear. There are some who won't stop though; those are the ones you have to watch out for. Your bullets are not magic and no bullet made is a guaranteed fight stopper. All they do is increase your chances of survival.
    Last edited by Roadrunner; January 28th, 2006 at 10:33 PM.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Administrator

Thumbs up Roadrunner

Good Comment.

I just thought that I would stop in here & do a quick check to make sure that the never ending intellectual struggle of .45 VS 9mm had not come to blows & personal attacks.
    I see that things are still O Kee Doke Kee in this thread.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

A mechanic has more than one tool. Why cant we?

I carried a 9mm when I went to pick my truck up from Tampa. Not like a 1911 is all that heavy. But when taking several bus trips, walking everywhere with only my Bug-out bag for several days. It’s nice not to have to carry lots of mags, and a good hefty piece of steel everywhere.

After I got my truck back I stopped home, to get fresh cloths and my 1911. Before I went to Jacksonville to apartment hunt. Having a .45 is a lot better for dropping someone high on goofballs. The added baggage wasn’t an issue, seeing I had my vehicle.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg
    You guys have it all wrong.

I carry a .45 or a 9mm, but everybody knows .40 S&W makes the bad guy vanish in cloud of red mist.
    no no no no no !..... I got this lil' gun called the cricket. Has this red laser that fires when the trigger is pulled. Needs no batterys nor ammo. Pretty neat huh ?!!!? Got it from some alien at the local dairy queen. It said humans just vaporize with no trace left to analyze !

Senior Moderator
    Every Engineer will tell you how "it works" on paper.
    Since i'm an engineer if I may ask, how is it everybody knows more about what works, what doesn't, and what will than an engineer? Who do you think developed the "modern" high performance JHPs?

oo( aint them engineers the same folks who maintain a bumblebee cannot fly aerodynamicly ?? )
    I've heard that claimed from non-engineers, but what engineer said that? I know that engineers put man on the moon, sent probes in space, developed hi-tech weaponry from lasers to attack aircraft and stealth fighters; it seems to me they know what will "fly".

"In theory, theory works. In practice, it don't." - Yogi Berra
    Well now, there's an authority on science and engineering we can trust. So what do you think, it's time to throw theory out the window and eliminate engineering as stuff that never works? Boy, if we could have just got ole Yogi to develop our ammo.

BTW, what theory(s) is it that doesn't work?

OD*
    It was meant as humor Tangle. Now you being an engineer, know that what works on paper, doesn't necessarily work in real life every time.

BTW, what theory(s) is it that doesn't work?
    Well, the Silvertip (handgun bullet, not the old rifle bullet) apparently looked good on paper to the engineer, that didn't prove to be the case on the street.

eliminate engineering as stuff that never works?
    I don't recall anyone ever saying that, we what was implied was, engineers are not infallible and just because it works on paper doesn't make it fact.

famous engineering disasters
    http://www.soe.uoguelph.ca/webfiles/...gDisasters.htm
    http://www.library.ubc.ca/scieng/eng...ngFailures.htm
    Last edited by OD*; January 29th, 2006 at 11:22 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    It was meant as humor Tangle.
    What a relief; I thought some were taking that stuff seriously.

Now you being an engineer, know that what works on paper, doesn't necessarily work in real life every time.
    The only reason to design "it" on paper is to make "it" work in real life.

It is interesting that the impression of an engineer is a person that can make things work on paper but he doesn't understand the real world well enough to make the design work.

Well, the Silvertip (handgun bullet, not the old rifle bullet) apparently looked good on paper to the engineer, that didn't prove to be the case on the street.
    I'm not so sure the Silvertip is a failure, what do you base that claim on?

...engineers are not infallible and just because it works on paper doesn't make it fact.
    Nor did I say that. Theory is fact, paper designs are an attempt to apply complex theory to often even more complex problems and that leaves lots of room for problems, error, and unexpected or unaccounted for outcomes.

famous engineering disasters
    Yep, we've had some real fiascos.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links