9mm vs .45 No I'm not crazy. - Page 4

9mm vs .45 No I'm not crazy.

This is a discussion on 9mm vs .45 No I'm not crazy. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD Actual happenings are now flames? I posted them to show that what may have looked good on paper, was not in ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Actual happenings are now flames?

I posted them to show that what may have looked good on paper, was not in applacation, true.

I believe you agreed at one point.
    Yep, actual happenings and truth can be used to flame. Again, it is context. There were claims made that insinuated that engineers were good on paper but not in reality. The remarks that followed supported that claim, including and your remarks. Taken in context, they were insinuative and unnecessary.

If you and others want to make fun of lawyers, I'll join in, but I am an engineer.

OD*
    You should have been a politician.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    You should have been a politician.
    LOL!! Now that hurt! LOL!

Assistant Administrator
    - woah - back to scheduled programing!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I thought we were talking about for the military? If so, every single operator I know comming home from a'stan and iraq have the same comment. Damm I hate that 9mm. Beretta is a good gun, but the 9mm ball (ball being the key) sucks. For GIs who've used the handgun against the tangos they all say the same thing, the 9 just aint enough. No matter how you cut it, Murphy is alive and well and the 9 just dont cut the mustard with ball ammo.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I got 2 9mm's but that's only because the round is NATO standard.

Otherwise fugitabutit.

As of Jan 06 military has opted out of the 9mm and to go back to the .45 after two decades of the 9mm, saying it just doesn't have the same stopping power as the .45
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Exclamation Great Minds Think Alike!

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd63
    I got 2 9mm's but that's only because the round is NATO standard.

Otherwise fugitabutit.
    LOL! Me too. I chose Browning Hi-Power & Beretta M92 for the same reasons.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick
    As of Jan 06 military has opted out of the 9mm and to go back to the .45 after two decades of the 9mm, saying it just doesn't have the same stopping power as the .45
    What's your source for this? Who got the contracts for .45's to replace the existing 9mm inventories? Just curious, because I hadn't seen anything announcing replacement of the 9mm sidearms.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Both of these wounds were made with a major manufacturer's JHP ammo, one in 9mm and the other in .45 ACP. Each represented a "one shot stop" in that each animal was cleanly put down during a state sanctioned management program.

The entrance wound diameters are roughly the same size though one appears larger only because I was closer to it with the camera.

Before it gets asked:

Yes, both deer were eaten.

Yes, in my state either caliber was legal.

Yes, I did the killing.

No, I don't feel "bad" nor did I feel "undergunned" nor do I believe I "disrespected" the animal by not using a commonly-accepted deer caliber. I held my fire unless everything was perfect just for that reason. On an aggressor I couldn't care less and would open up with everything I had to stop him, be it "pretty" or not.

Distances: Roughly 15 yards in both. Didn't fire unless I knew I could make the shot.

Reactions: Jumped and fell on one. Jumped, fell, and tried to get up on the other.

Conclusions: Well, besides the usual "I'll remember that if I'm ever attacked by a rabid deer" crap, I have none other than to reinforce what I observed several years ago when I interviewed a woman who ran 2 blks to get away from her boyfriend who'd just shot her twice through the left chest with .45 ball and when a felon took a load of 12 ga. #4 buck at 18 inches and spoke to the officer who shot him before he sat down on his own and died, I don't trust any of them. About that time I began working on marksmanship and speed with the handgun and have not stopped.

Pick the one you feel the best with and that you believe best suits your needs....

....then get good with it.

Best.

Assistant Administrator
    Sage words Steve.

We make our personal decisions and hope to be good ''on the day'' if heaven forbid it comes our way.

No one is ''right'' by default but sure as heck - we'll never stop analyzing and discussing
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good stuff Steve

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Very true, I think. Gotta pile of .45's and a similar stack of 9mm's, but not being limited to FMJ, I feel about as safe as I can with either caliber. Were I limited to FMJ, I'd probably go with .45 but have not been impressed with it on critters and quit using it other than for paper long ago. I've seen both "work" well and both "fail" pretty miserably, but the same with .40 and .357 magnum.

On the deer I've shot with handguns, I've always gone by a self-imposed close-range limitation as I'm not shooting at the deer but at a specific small kill zone on the animal.

For me, I've not seen much difference between 9mm, .45, .45 Colt, or .38 Super on Texas whitetails nor on javelina, which are tough little nasties for their size. Heck, anything that can live with so many danged fleas must be a rough hombre, hahahahhaha!

Seriously, confidence in one's equipment is sometimes an underrated quantity I believe. If we don't trust our equipment, I sort of think we go into a nasty situation at a disadvantage. The actual willingness to shoot another human being (and I use that term loosely with regard to some of the scum we see doing terrible things every night on the news) combined with the skill to get the shot or shots using good tactics is perhaps more important than whether the pistol is a 9mm, .45, or something larger.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp
    Seriously, confidence in one's equipment is sometimes an underrated quantity I believe. If we don't trust our equipment, I sort of think we go into a nasty situation at a disadvantage. The actual willingness to shoot another human being (and I use that term loosely with regard to some of the scum we see doing terrible things every night on the news) combined with the skill to get the shot or shots using good tactics is perhaps more important than whether the pistol is a 9mm, .45, or something larger.

Best.
    Exactly... in my heart of hearts I believe that at some point a lot of rounds are probably so darn close to each other it's just silly to debate about it...

But also in my heart of hearts I believe that there is just teensy weensy little bit less room for error, and that it's one of the very few things I can do that could possibly make a difference for sure...

So I'm honest about it... it makes me feel better to go bigger. It just does.

PS Mr. Camp are you out the in Ft. Stockton area? I had an up close and personal encounter with a javelina only once in my life as a young teenager and at that moment I wished very much for a pistol/rifle/shotgun/sword/sharp stick! Ha!

1951 - 2011
    Hello. No, sir. I'm up in north central Texas but got to go south near Edinburg and hunt once or twice a year.

Best.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links